This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stargate and ZPMs

I know there has been many ideas about whether or not ZPMs can be recharged or not and things seem to point to no but could the Stargate be used to "reset" a ZPM? The Stargates as we know the gate brakes things down to their basic elements and then reintegrate them when they reach the other side. So if the gate can be reprogrammed to "reset" a ZPM when it is sent through than the gates could be used as a "recharger" in that every time a ZPM goes through it comes out the other side "recharged". What does every one think of this? Could it be done? If not, than why?
    Jackson: Oh Please! Teal’c’s like one of the deepest people I know. He’s so deep. Come on! Tell em how deep you are. You’ll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal’c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
    Jackson: (Excited) Oh!! See?
    O’Neill: No more beer for you.

"Nu ani Anquietas"
    We are the Ancients

No. In simplest terms, you get back out what you put it. On the other side of the Wormhole you will get back the ZPM of the same molecular arrangement (one that's dead). A ZPM with power must have a distinct difference in it's makeup that makes it have power, and the dead one's not have power. If you put in a dead ZPM, you'll get back a dead ZPM.

Comment

Originally posted by Odens återkomst
      No. In simplest terms, you get back out what you put it. On the other side of the Wormhole you will get back the ZPM of the same molecular arrangement (one that's dead). A ZPM with power must have a distinct difference in it's makeup that makes it have power, and the dead one's not have power. If you put in a dead ZPM, you'll get back a dead ZPM.
      Ah thats why I said "reprograme" the gate so it would change the dead ZPM into a working one.
      Jackson: Oh Please! Teal’c’s like one of the deepest people I know. He’s so deep. Come on! Tell em how deep you are. You’ll be lucky if you understand this.

"Nu ani Anquietas"
      We are the Ancients

Comment

Originally posted by Macilnar
        Ah thats why I said "reprograme" the gate so it would change the dead ZPM into a working one.
        Sorry man...I dont see how reprogramming the gate could help...you have physics working against you here.....although, granted that hasn't typically been a problem for SG-1 before
        sigpic
        Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
        "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

The gate is not magic.

Comment

ZPMs use power from "vacuum energy derived from a self contained region of subspace time".

Or something like that
            I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

Originally posted by TrustNo1
              ZPMs use power from "vacuum energy derived from a self contained region of subspace time".

Or something like that
              That is right. Now then we know that the gate brakes us down to send us through. When Teal'c was stuck betwen gates that he has stored as data. Now what's to say we can't rewrite some of the data? If we can determin what the data for a full power ZPM is then maybe we can send a depleted ZPM through but change its data so it comes out a full ZPM. It is like scanning a pic into the computer, modafing it and then printing it.

"Nu ani Anquietas"
              We are the Ancients

Comment

That is right. Now then we know that the gate brakes us down to send us through. When Teal'c was stuck betwen gates that he has stored as data. Now what's to say we can't rewrite some of the data? If we can determin what the data for a full power ZPM is then maybe we can send a depleted ZPM through but change its data so it comes out a full ZPM. It is like scanning a pic into the computer, modafing it and then printing it.
                Except a billion times more difficult and nothing like printing a picture. If this was possible, we wouldn't have the ability to do it for thousands of years. And if they screwed up, who knows how much of the planet they could destroy when the messed up ZPM pops out of the gate.

Comment

When the matter goes through the stargate it can only be arranged in the pattern it went in as. Even if we could somehow rearrange it enroute the ZPM derives its power from zero-point energy so its impossible to recharge the subspace field within it when it reaches maximum entropy.
                  Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyrs
                    When the matter goes through the stargate it can only be arranged in the pattern it went in as. Even if we could somehow rearrange it enroute the ZPM derives its power from zero-point energy so its impossible to recharge the subspace field within it when it reaches maximum entropy.
                    Maybe if they find some way to convert entropy to usable energy...
                    But as stated before, the Stargate couldn't be used to power the zpm..

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

That's like saying we could sending all our casualties of various ailments, thn trying to reprogram the "heart" section of the data into a beating, functioning one.
                      Shep: I can't hear you threatening to suck the life out of me 'til you hit the button on the radio.

Soldier (In Russian): Are you Russian spies?
                      Daniel: Niet.
                      Jack: Daniel!
                      Daniel: What? He asked if we were Russian spies and I said no........oh.
                      -1969 (221)

Comment

well i thought that the power derived from the outgoing gate sent the stuff through and then the recieving gate put it back together with the exact same amount of energy, how could energy be gathered inside the wormhole other than the energy that goes through the wormhole from both ends?
                        Those who know the truth must rise up boldly and be a light into the darkness, if the truth bearers stay quiet, then the lost are already gone.

Comment

In order to do what you say the stargate would have to pull energy from somewhere to powerer up the ZPM. In order to give the stargate the amount of power to recharge the zpm you would need a zpm which would be depleted after the tranzit. Its like charging a dead battery with a fully charged one which would just transfer most of the charge thus leaveing a dead battery of which you just charged from.

Comment

If they could use the Stargate to reconfigure things, the Asgard would have been able to solve their cloning problem.

Comment

The theory of conservation of energy is that energy (and also matter) cannot be created nor destroyed, it can only be transferred from one form to another. A naquada generator triggers a reaction in the naquada that releases the energy inherent in the naquada. You can't just create energy from something. It is like an equation. If you are using energy to power the wormhole and energy to split and recombine something. Where does the energy to recharge the zpm come from.

Comment

Working...
                              X