PDA

View Full Version : Ending the Series: "Team" concept overrated

Adamixoye
May 31st, 2004, 01:41 PM
Okay, now that I have your attention...

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for almost a year. Just so you know. Also, since this is somewhat about ending the series, I put it in the Season 8 folder, but maybe it should be general. I'm not sure which is better.

I read in some of the "ship" and "ending the series" threads that many people, regardless of shippiness, really want the series to end with a "team" episode, because to them, that's what the series is all about. A similar complaint is all the S7 episodes that were focused on the individual characters and not enough about the team.

But I believe the team concept is a little overrated. From where I'm sitting, the show is not about any one thing in particular. Yes, I know it's "Stargate SG-1", but it's debatable whether the key in that title is "SG-1" or "Stargate". The show is about the Stargate, it's about the aliens, it's about the action, it's about the characters, it's about the interactions of the characters (including both "team" and ship or the lack thereof), and I'm sure I could think of some more if I wanted to.

I've been watching the show since it first came out in syndication, then caught up when it went to Sci-Fi. The point is, by the end of this year I will have watched 8 seasons over 7 years. I don't care if the last episode is "team-centered" or not, what I want is as much closure as possible throughout this season. That includes storylines with the Goa'uld, Jaffa, Tok'ra, Asgard, Replicators, any ship, etc.

I only want things left open if it's done for the sake of a movie, and that movie actually gets made. What I don't want is it to be like "The Pretender" and the TV movies that followed, where they raised more questions than they answered before (apparently) people got bored, and they decided not to make any more movies.

Lord Loz
June 1st, 2004, 10:50 AM
I agree with absolutely everything you said :thup:

David85
June 1st, 2004, 11:34 AM
It's not that people got bored with "The Pretender" it's no one had a clue whatwas going on. They were going to make like five TV movies and they cost to much and stopped them. Plus they never advertised them.

Anyways, Stargate...

It's called Stargate Sg-1, it's about the team SG-1 just like Atlantis will be about the city. It's also about the Stagate, but the team is the main charater otherwise it would just be calle d"Stargate". I want the team together, but that doesn't means they have to be together for the whole thing. Like start as the team and then have Sam go off and help someone, Teal'c help fight something, and Daniel and Jack doing something else. But's it's a team before anything.

SG1Team4ever
June 1st, 2004, 11:49 AM
I don't think that the team concept is overrated...I think that the team is really what defines the show and keeps me watching. Unfortuantely I also think that the writers have forgotten this with all the silly IMO ship... I would like a good episode that features the team and tells us what happens to them in the future. For more on this see my post in How they should end the series thread.

SGSlugger
June 1st, 2004, 12:10 PM
Don't judge a book by its cover....

The beginning was about SG-1 the Team, but the series has evolved to a point where just following the team isn't enough. Season 7 had more one-person featured episodes, and I think that TPTB kinda went a little overboard. I like seeing how they live out their lives.

epiphany
June 1st, 2004, 01:10 PM
I don't, especially not with the incredibly boring way the writers write those lives. They do absolutely no justice to the characters. I'm just glad that at this point they've basically ignored Daniel in that regard(the one area I'm fine with them leaving him out of it) because I tremble with dread just thinking of the ruination they would leave in their wake. They really have no imagination and no depth when they try to flesh out the "personal" lives of the characters. Sometimes a little mystery is a good thing.

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2004, 01:51 PM
A little insight into the characters is nice, but I think it's something that should be taken in moderation... and not too often. For me, Stargate is about the stories- the exploration of alien worlds and far-flung human cultures, the defense of Earth (not just America) against terrible alien threats, the general thrill of discovery and rush of adrenaline that accompany any good action-oriented shows/books.

For years I felt that those qualities were embodied in SG-1, both as a team and as individuals. Season 5 saw them starting to stray away from that and while season 6 had a lot of eps I enjoyed, I wouldn't say it was really a "team" oriented season. How could it be? Jonas Quinn was introduced and- IMO- remained an intrusion upon the team for almost the entire season. I felt that Jack started to get cold and distant and kinda pissy. The team lost cohesion not only because Jonas was never truly accepted (despite the patch-job the writers tried to cram on at the end), but because Jack started to act as if he didn't care. There were still some good stories to be had, but they remained separate from the characters.

This disassociation became more prominent in S7 when, I feel, the writers pretty much gave up attempting to write quality stories about exploration and defense and started slapping together whatever sprung to mind. Often, what sprung to mind were the characters. Individually. So the spotlight turned away from the themes that had drawn me to the show and focused on all the "I's" in the team: there were Sam Eps and Daniel Eps and even one or two Teal'c Eps (miracle of miracles), but there was very little "team" left that I could see and there wasn't much point to a lot of it, anyway.

Oh, sure, there were some grand stories explored, but often they came across as being grand for the sake of being grand rather than for the sake of telling a good story. Sensationalism, pure and simple. If there was some recycling of plotlines in S6, it was worse in S7, at least in my opinion. Stories we have seen elsewhere (including earlier seasons of Stargate itself) were repackaged and sold as being "new and different" when they were anything but. And the "homage" to Star Wars was just a little too blatant for my tastes and read as a "gotta waste some time" ripoff rather than a genuine tip of the hat.

S7 showed us... well, it showed ME that there is no team, not anymore. It's just a bunch of individuals running around trying to keep things together and failing to realize that there's nothing left to keep and that "together" has gone the way of the dodo.

The characters are virtually unrecognizable from the ones I fell in love with in earlier seasons. Jack isn't the only one suffering from attrition. The situations are either far too recognizable or not worth recognizing in the first place. If "team" is overrated, it's only because "team" doesn't exist anymore.

It's sad... and it's one of the reasons I've stopped watching the show.

The above post is strictly the viewpoint and interpretations of the author and is not meant to imply any facts, except as they relate to the author. ;)

Ugly Pig
June 1st, 2004, 01:57 PM
S7 showed us... well, it showed ME that there is no team, not anymore.
Maybe not in the episodes you watched. There was however plenty of team in Lost City. :)

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2004, 02:05 PM
Maybe not in the episodes you watched. There was however plenty of team in Lost City. :)
ONE ep (or two, I suppose) featuring team? Sorry, but that isn't enough for me. I want more. :D

Ugly Pig
June 1st, 2004, 02:12 PM
ONE ep (or two, I suppose) featuring team? Sorry, but that isn't enough for me. I want more. :D
I won't deny that in general there's been a bigger focus on the individual characters rather than the team this season. It just doesn't bother me the way it does you. :)

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2004, 02:27 PM
I won't deny that in general there's been a bigger focus on the individual characters rather than the team this season. It just doesn't bother me the way it does you. :)
That's because I'm such a sensitive soul while you're such a... well, your sig really says it all, doesn't it? :P

Teal'c
June 1st, 2004, 03:09 PM
So you completely blocked out all those comments prior to Season 7, about how it was going to focus more of Sam, Daniel and Teal'c, with Rick's lessened time... or does remembering that they told us spoil your arguments? :P

Ugly Pig
June 1st, 2004, 03:17 PM
That's because I'm such a sensitive soul while you're such a... well, your sig really says it all, doesn't it? :P
Beautiful, ain't it? Oink! :D

Aaaaand, to keep this on topic: While I don't think every episode needs to be team-centric, the final episode definately should be. It just wouldn't be right to go out with an episode focusing on just Sam, or Daniel, or Teal'c or even Jack.

Adamixoye
June 1st, 2004, 04:19 PM
Aaaaand, to keep this on topic: While I don't think every episode needs to be team-centric, the final episode definately should be. It just wouldn't be right to go out with an episode focusing on just Sam, or Daniel, or Teal'c or even Jack.
See, I think that's a false dilemma, depending on your idea of what a "team-centric" episode is. What about an episode that just wraps up as many storylines as possible (or, better yet, a multi-episode arc that does that). It might focus on certain member at times, the team at others, and the enemies and allies of Earth at others.

While I disagree with a lot of what ShadowMaat said, one thing I definitely agree with is that Stargate is about the stories, which is probably the best way to summarize one thing I was trying to say earlier. Good characters, good character interactions, good villians, good action, good special effects, etc.--these things are components to a good story. We can argue about the relative importance of those, but it would be silly to say that it boils down mostly to any one of those things. But I think some people have done that with the "team" concept.

I actually like the direction the show has taken since it went to Sci-Fi, at least in certain areas. I don't agree with everything the writers have done, and I'm not sure I could really say it's better or worse than seasons 1-5, but I like the fact that the show has evolved. There are fewer random stand-alone episodes. Even episodes that seem sort of stand-alone at the time turn out to be part of relatively significant arcs. Maybe someone will dispute that, because I'm sure you can think of many stand-alone episodes in S6 and S7, but it feels that way to me. The Lost City, Teal'c losing junior, the ongoing Tau'ri-Jaffa-Tok'ra alliance or lack thereof...these are major arcs that the show didn't contain early on. It makes sense, too. In the beginning of the show, Earth was just learning about what's out there; now they are in it whether they like it or not, and have to deal with all the enemies and alliances that they have made.

One of my least favorite episodes of the early seasons is "One False Step". There were some good moments, but it was an isolated mission that added nothing to the Stargate universe (and it was a little boring). But it was a "team" episode. On the other hand, TBFTGOG was a great episode IMO, even though it wasn't "team". All the characters were there, though, and interacting. So if you call TBFTGOG a "team" episode, we're arguing slightly different points.

P.S. Re: Pretender. I said "apparently", as I didn't really know why they stopped making them. Lack of money makes sense. My only point is, that was a show that never wrapped things up properly, and I don't want Stargate to suffer the same fate (particularly with the possibility of a movie, that makes everything dicey).

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2004, 04:23 PM
So you completely blocked out all those comments prior to Season 7, about how it was going to focus more of Sam, Daniel and Teal'c, with Rick's lessened time... or does remembering that they told us spoil your arguments? :P
I took it to mean that it would focus on them as a team. :P

But whatever. You guys have your opinions, I have mine, and I'm starting to get tired of it all. A question was asked, a question was answered, let's move on.

The original poster's view is that the team concept is overrated. I disagree and I hope that the series finale will include them all AS A TEAM with no spotlight shining on any one particular character. Or pairing. :P

Ugly Pig
June 1st, 2004, 04:37 PM
See, I think that's a false dilemma, depending on your idea of what a "team-centric" episode is. What about an episode that just wraps up as many storylines as possible (or, better yet, a multi-episode arc that does that). It might focus on certain member at times, the team at others, and the enemies and allies of Earth at others.
I guess I should clarify my opinion: I agree that the final episode (or final episode arc) should be story-driven. But like Shadow said, I don't think it should "shine a spotlight" on any one character more than the others. The final episode should heavily involve the whole team.

Adamixoye
June 1st, 2004, 08:23 PM
The original poster's view is that the team concept is overrated. I disagree and I hope that the series finale will include them all AS A TEAM with no spotlight shining on any one particular character. Or pairing. :P
The original poster still doesn't understand why it has to be one or the other, as the original poster just explained to Ugly Pig.

I'm not suggesting that we have a single character episode or a ship episode instead of a "team" episode. I'm suggesting that the series should appropriately wrap up as many storylines as possible instead of giving us an episode that puts the team together just so we can all say, "Oh, that's nice...they're a team again."

ShadowMaat
June 1st, 2004, 08:30 PM
I'm not suggesting that we have a single character episode or a ship episode instead of a "team" episode. I'm suggesting that the series should appropriately wrap up as many storylines as possible instead of giving us an episode that puts the team together just so we can all say, "Oh, that's nice...they're a team again."
But that would be a season long thing, unless you're planning to wrap up EVERYTHING in a single ep or two. ;) I'm focusing on the very last ep of the series, after there's already been lots of loose ends finished off and interesting directions explored and all. And I wouldn't expect the team to all be together just for the sake of being together. I'd expect there to be a solid, intriguing storyline to go along with it. Maybe something that will leave the mystery in place after the show wraps up. Pave the way either for fans to go on arguing about it for years or for TPTB to come along and start making movies.

Adamixoye
June 1st, 2004, 09:06 PM
But that would be a season long thing, unless you're planning to wrap up EVERYTHING in a single ep or two. ;) I'm focusing on the very last ep of the series, after there's already been lots of loose ends finished off and interesting directions explored and all. And I wouldn't expect the team to all be together just for the sake of being together. I'd expect there to be a solid, intriguing storyline to go along with it. Maybe something that will leave the mystery in place after the show wraps up. Pave the way either for fans to go on arguing about it for years or for TPTB to come along and start making movies.
Oh I imagine that my wish would take the whole season, and I hope TPTB do just that--take advantage of the whole season to wrap things up.

I still don't see the importance of a "team" episode. I want all the characters involved, and I want closure with the characters and storylines, but it doesn't matter to me if the episode is "team" or not. Perhaps comments on my earlier discussion of what exactly constitutes a "team" episode would help.

They call me Tim
June 1st, 2004, 09:31 PM
First off, and I really mean this, I am not trying to tick anyone off but at times these boards really crack me up...esp when we hear from people who think that the show and the writers have betrayed you...those that say it, talk about how Sam is a bimbo, no team, too much ship or no ship, or something and all this other stuff that I would write out if it wasnt 1230 at night...and then to top it off they say they dont even watch the show anymore...it is just crazy to me...the show/writers cant betray you because you are not involved...they have all the rights to make the people become whatever they want...if you dont like it then dont watch...but they dont owe you or me anything...their story....their choices...Sam got a life...shame on her...it might have been that AT wanted to so something other than work on a reactor for fun...static charc are not good charc...well except for Chervon guy...Wal---ter:) love that line...If they have Sam and Jack living happy and married then go for it...guess what...that stuff happens...I am marrying someone that I shouldnt have been dating in the first place way back then...no not military FYI...I guess I just watch the show and adjust to wherever it takes me...if I dont like it...well, I dont like everything that happens in life but I still know that Stargate is the best stinking show on TV...I watch it every week, love seasons 1-7, hated Grace but didnt miss an episode...and if Sam gets anyone I dont really care but I will be watching to find out........rant over sorry...tear away

Dani347
June 1st, 2004, 09:55 PM
Well, for me, team is important, because that's what I think the show is about. I can't see the story as being independant from the characters. The chracters make the story. The Stargate is important wrt what happens and how the characters relate to it. And, the stories come out of the characters and how they interact with each other. If I didn't have some interest in the characters themselves, I wouldn't have ever watched. Big circular transportation device isn't enough to hold my interest, although once you add in the human element, it becomes important.

And, for me, since they took all these years to have me get to know the characters, and to know them as a team, I'd say that was a hugely important aspect. The show could just as easily have been known as simply Stargate. Or, if there's some copywright problems with using the exact name (I have no idea if that would be an issue) something else to place the emphasis somewhere besides the SG1 team. Have a different team go through the gate each time. Don't give me time to get attached to characters, know their histories, spend years getting to know them (as much as that can be in a tv show)Which would mean I probably never would have watched. For me, characters are the number 1 reason I watch any show, and it always surprises me that scifi shows have the best characterizations, and interactions between characters. Which is good, because without them, I could give a hoot about space ships, time travel, Stargates.

As for what a team episode is, for me, it's the team working together, contributing, having a role, no one being superfluous. I don't see why wrapping up whatever is possible, having an interesting story (like I said, for me, the characters make the story) and having it be a team episode have to be mutually exclusive.

This expresses only my views on what I think Stargate is, what the last episode should be, etc, etc, etc

Positively Kanyon
June 1st, 2004, 10:50 PM
I'd like to see the series end with the eventual defeat of the Goa'uld. I can hear you all saying, "But Kanyon, who will they fight in the feature films?"

Well kiddies... Kanyon, in his opinion, likes series to end with closure and I say finish off the Goa'uld and use the features for bigger and better things.

darkwarden
June 1st, 2004, 11:17 PM
Admittedly they would probably have problems fining a way to put an enemy into the feature films, but there is also no reason that they cannot invlove the Atlantis storyline as well, the SGC and Atlantis groups team together with all their allies to finally rid the galaxy/universe of any remaining Goa'uld and the Wraith, who have allied with the Goa'uld conveniently or something cool like that.

Ugly Pig
June 2nd, 2004, 01:15 AM
Well kiddies... Kanyon, in his opinion, likes series to end with closure and I say finish off the Goa'uld and use the features for bigger and better things.
Amen.

What I'd like is for the series to tie up all major plotlines by the end, but don't make a definitive permanent ending (that is, keep SG-1 and the SGC intact... no big changes). Then, if they ever get around to making feature films; use them to tell good stand-alone stories.

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 01:22 AM
I really do think that they do have to tie up the loose ends of the show and actually start some of the stories. For example the Furlings

Ugly Pig
June 2nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
Well yeah, but they could leave the furlings for Atlantis. Or a movie.

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 01:34 AM
Maybe they should leave the Furlings for Atlantis. Since there is so much talk about them and people wanting to meet them, it will give Atlantis stronger ratings which in the end will give us more episodes to watch

Ugly Pig
June 2nd, 2004, 01:38 AM
And besides, if they're going to do a whole big plotline with the furlings it may be too late to start it on SG-1.

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 01:41 AM
That is correct. I think it may be a bit took late to start the Furlings in SG-1. But I think they could still cross-refrence some facts that SG-1 might find to Atlantis as perhaps the Furlings now live in the Pegasus galaxy

Positively Kanyon
June 2nd, 2004, 02:29 AM
I could definately see the Furlings being fleshed out, storyline wise, on Atlantis. I say let the two shows share the alliance aliens. The Nox and Asgard on SG-1, Ancients and Furlings on Atlantis.

Also, on an unrelated note... Do you think we'll be seeing Replicators in Atlantis?

SPOILERS FOR SEASON 4-22 EXODUS

Think back to the end of the season 4 finale, after the sun had gone nova. When the mothership SG-1 and Jacob were aboard was flung (I think) 125 light years away into another galaxy. Now, the Replicators were aboard the strange ship that Jacob or SG-1 didn't recognise... Do you think that the Replicators may have gained a foothold in the Pegasus galaxy?

As a side note, yes they could have been flung into the Ida galaxy but since the ship they were on was not Asgard... Furling perhaps?

Ugly Pig
June 2nd, 2004, 02:35 AM
Also, on an unrelated note... Do you think we'll be seeing Replicators in Atlantis?
Not likely, in my opinion.

SPOILERS FOR SEASON 4-22 EXODUS
Now, the Replicators were aboard the strange ship that Jacob or SG-1 didn't recognise... Do you think that the Replicators may have gained a foothold in the Pegasus galaxy?
Well, if they did then they're not there anymore. (Spoiler for Unnatural Selection in white text)The asgard used the Reese android to attract all replicators in the universe to their home planet.(End spoiler)

darkwarden
June 2nd, 2004, 02:48 AM
The replicators are still possible, there are some other threads explaing why, go look if you want to. No reason to suggest no tho, but also none to suggest yes.

Positively Kanyon
June 2nd, 2004, 02:55 AM
Not likely, in my opinion.

I completely forgot about that... But (highlight for spoilers) Didn't she lose control over the Replicators after she created them, could there possible be some Replicators out there that didn't heed the call? (end spoiler!)

ShadowMaat
June 2nd, 2004, 03:47 AM
You know what, Tim? Not once, anywhere, in any of my posts have I ever said that the writers "owe" me anything. In fact, I think I've pointed out several times that they don't owe me anything and that I'm fully aware that it's their show, their characters, etc. I never once said that the show had to change, only that I- myself, an individual speaking only for myself- I would like to see some changes made. I'm still interested in the development of the show and deep down I have hope that things will change again and that I'll be able to find the show more palatable- for myself. I am expressing what it would take to get me to tune in again, that's all. I am in no way demanding that changes be made, nor am I insisting that the changes be made to suit me. That would be a little ridiculous, don't you think? I am telling people what would interest me to see in an ep and the last time I checked, I wasn't the only one doing it. Just because I don't watch the show anymore doesn't make my opinions any less real or valid or any less important to me. I post here because I feel a need to express myself, to articulate how and why I'm bothered by things but also to share in the fun of Stargate and the fan community and to express what it is I love about the show and why I like the things I do. If you have a problem with that, if you don't agree with me, that's just fine, but I- me personally, speaking as an individual, I would appreciate it if you didn't belittle my posts and mock my right to post here which, regardless of how you may have intended it (and despite the rather blanket "Oh, I don't mean to insult anyone, BUT...." statement), is exactly how it comes off... to me. I have just as much right to be here as you do and if I want to talk about what I want to see on the show, then I'm going to talk about it.

I'm not asking you to agree with everything I say, but at least respect my right to have an opinion of my own and to express it here.

Now, back to the actual subject of the thread... I'm not saying the team has to be joined at the hip for the entire ep and I know there are a variety of ways to accomplish a "team" ep without it being blatant and really, that's all I'm asking. I'd like to see some of the old chemistry again and a good, old-fashioned ep where everyone plays a more or less equal part in whatever's happening. Or where it at least feels like they do. ;)

As for the Replicators... it could be interesting. Especially if the A-team finds a way to sic the Reps on the Wraiths. ;) Hmm... I don't suppose the Wraith could suck the life out of a Replicator, could they? That might be an interesting twist, depending on the definition of "life energy" or whatever.

darkwarden
June 2nd, 2004, 03:50 AM
Hmmmm Wraith indigestion, that could be a good way to kill them off. LOL.

Anubis
June 2nd, 2004, 04:42 AM
Whatever happens I hope we get to meet the Furlings SOON

Sicarius
June 2nd, 2004, 05:03 AM
"Team" concept overrated? Hm, overrated or not, it's the reason I watch the show.

Even after seven seasons, I find Teal'c, Sam, and Daniel way too stereotypical to be of much interest individually. I've been reading/watching SF&F for too long to get excited about the stoic warrior or the geeky scholar types. Jack, despite his irreverence -- or perhaps because of it -- doesn't fall as neatly into a category, which I appreciate, but all in all, these guys feel much more unique as a team. Oh sure, it's still the Dungeons and Dragons adventuring party at heart, but the overarching potential for conflict with their superiors and the in-team blend of camaraderie and antagonism keeps things interesting.

While I don't resent episodes that aren't about "the team," I hope they end the series on the same sort of note as the Lost City episodes.

Sparki101
June 2nd, 2004, 05:08 AM
First off, and I really mean this, I am not trying to tick anyone off but at times these boards really crack me up...esp when we hear from people who think that the show and the writers have betrayed you...those that say it, talk about how Sam is a bimbo, no team, too much ship or no ship, or something and all this other stuff that I would write out if it wasnt 1230 at night...and then to top it off they say they dont even watch the show anymore...it is just crazy to me...the show/writers cant betray you because you are not involved...they have all the rights to make the people become whatever they want...if you dont like it then dont watch...but they dont owe you or me anything...their story....their choices...Sam got a life...shame on her...it might have been that AT wanted to so something other than work on a reactor for fun...static charc are not good charc...well except for Chervon guy...Wal---ter:) love that line...If they have Sam and Jack living happy and married then go for it...guess what...that stuff happens...I am marrying someone that I shouldnt have been dating in the first place way back then...no not military FYI...I guess I just watch the show and adjust to wherever it takes me...if I dont like it...well, I dont like everything that happens in life but I still know that Stargate is the best stinking show on TV...I watch it every week, love seasons 1-7, hated Grace but didnt miss an episode...and if Sam gets anyone I dont really care but I will be watching to find out........rant over sorry...tear away

Yes. I agree with you, Tim. As my mum used to say 'There is no use crying over spilt milk, you clean it up.' I look at characters motives at face value and try not to analyse why they did this or that. To me they just did it and that's all that matters. With regards to ship, I think it spoils the team spirit, but if TPTB want to go that way then that's fine by me. I can do nothing to change that decision, because when I see an true episode rather than spoilers then it's too late to change anything. I can campaign all I want, but in the end it's up to them.
What will make me mad in season 8 is if they ignore cannon set down in earlier seasons. By that I mean that non-one can deny that there was J/S ship in S7. I am not a shipper and I will be thankful if they don't go that way. But I am also sensible enough to understand that I can't ignore that expression of feelings in the s7. If they just ignore that expression and it's suddenly no ship without explanation then that will just make me more cross.

I must admit that I watch Gate for the plot and mythology/exploration more than team interaction, but that is because I am a thinker more than a feeler. I think that Jack/Daniel have chemistry, but they are not the be all and end all of Gate. I watched most of season 6 and it did feel different and odd without Daniel, but that doesn't make Jonas a poor substitute. He is a character in his own right, not just a Daniel Jr.

And yes, Sam is acting like a bimbo. But it's a character flaw, her character is evolving. She's not 'malfunctioning' or acting 'out of character'. How do we know that she is acting 'out of character' simply because we watch her for an hour every week? I don't think we have the right to judge. However bad her character is at the moment, I accept that that is simply the way she is and how she acts when she is in love/hero worship/whatever.

Sparki

darkwarden
June 2nd, 2004, 05:09 AM
Yeah, if they end the series in a way that is epic styled, then it will be great, as long as it doesn't end with the earth destroyed/enslaved or something stupid.

I don't mind the team members as individuals, they all have some great moments where each of them can be classed as interesting at one point or another where they are not dependant on other members in the term to be interesting. Admittedly the team aspect of things is great as they work really well together, but I have not been hammered with the stereo types of these characters, I never watched any of the Start Trek series, so maybe I am more inclined to the characters as individuals, I don't know.

keshou
June 2nd, 2004, 06:15 AM
I don't think the "team" concept is overrated, especially as it relates to ending the series. I enjoy the plots, the stories, the mythology/exploration focus of the show. It's nice to see the team members do their thing individually once in awhile; it helps flesh out the characters. I just think the chemistry between the characters, the team is one of the best things about the series. Why wouldn't you capitalize on that for the series finale?

I want to see a fabulous story for the series finale, action-packed, winding up some of the dangling plot threads would be great. I want the team working together towards the same goal, with contributions from all the team members -- they don't have to be joined at the hip for the whole episode. Lost City 1/2 were great examples of good team episodes (for the most part).

IMO the best Stargate episodes have good character development, team interaction, action, and interesting plots (usually filled with a few holes, but I can live with that :p )

Dani347
June 2nd, 2004, 07:15 AM
I would just like to know why people seem to get up in arms when someone suggests that they don't like the way the show is going, or they think the characters are being written badly, or frankly, anything negative? It seems like anytime someone strays from the "Stargate is the best show ever, and will always be the best show ever, and no matter what they do with it is fine, and it will never be criticized or questioned, because Stargate RULES!!!!!" line, someone has to come in to set the poor soul straight. Why?

As for having the right to judge a character or thinking they're acting out of character, I think I do have a right. The same right a movie critic has to judge, a movie even though he or she didn't act, write, or produce. The same way a gymnastics commentator has to voice their views on athletes even though they either haven't played, or if they had, it was a long time ago, and the current gymnasts are doing skills they could never do. And, the writers, naturally can write whatever they want. They can have Jack, under no stress, coercion, or any outside force, decide to become a Goa'uld host. Just for kicks. They could have Sam decide that science and technology aren't for her, and become Amish or something. Daniel could become a male stripper. Teal'c could decide to take over the Tau'ri. (Remember, this is not under alien influence or anything. All these would be them in their right minds just doing it out of the blue). The writers could do all of that. But, I would say that these things are out of character. Why? Because they took the time to establish characters. To make them 3 dimensional, with distinct personalities. They made them "real" not just puppets to toss any characteristic on, willy nilly. And, I'm speaking from the perspective of a writer. If I wrote a character as a hero for a series of books, and they suddenly started hacking people, without any explanation or any kind of progression as to why this character became evil, I'd expect the readers say something. Because I wouldn't be doing my job right. Just because you have the power doesn't make everything you do right.

What can I say? I grew up where my mother wouldn't hesitate to come storming in if she felt my teachers were being unjust. Where my brother would correct his teachers if they got a fact wrong. I frequently spend my time on a messageboard that is mainly about criticizing television shows. So, for me, someone being in authority (be it a classroom, or a tv show) doesn't exempt them from criticism, and doesn't automatically make everything they do fine and dandy. Will it change anything? No, but I like to voice my opinions.

shinyredpants
June 2nd, 2004, 07:26 AM
everyone is entitled to their on opinion

and here is mine...hate me if you must, love me if you can *over dramatized sigh*

Okay...so here's the thing...SG-1 is about SG-1 right? but its also about those individual characters as well...With the ending of the series i would really like to see it as a separate but as a team thing.

Lets go back all the way to uh...to the end of season three...

everyone remember that good old danny boy had apendicitis! they werent a team for the end of this season...they gave ample time for the characters *except daniel who was sick as a dog* and while they didnt act as a team, you knew they were a team and were behind each other.

the same goes for the end of season 4, jack and teal'c were seperated from the others...

I still think at the very end of the show they should all go out for a beer, but still...if they ended with it just being oh i dunno...jack and daniel at jack's house dowing a beer...that's just fine...it doesnt mean they're not a team with the other two, it doesnt mean they're focusing on those two...

i know i'm going no where with this one...i'm going to go and vent some steam elsewhere =)

Dani347
June 2nd, 2004, 07:32 AM
Which episodes were these? The one with Daniel having appendicitis was necessitated by MS having appendicitis himself. What was the season 4 ender?

shinyredpants
June 2nd, 2004, 07:34 AM
Which episodes were these? The one with Daniel having appendicitis was necessitated by MS having appendicitis himself. What was the season 4 ender?

uh...i believe it was the season three ender, with the first episode of season 4 (small victories) we saw janet looking at his scar.

Dani347
June 2nd, 2004, 07:42 AM
Oh, I thought you were talking about two different episodes, from 2 seasons.

Anyway, I still think, especially for the end of the series we should see them acting as a team. Just for me, it's not enough to just rely on past knowledge, especially when things have been convoluted to destroy (imo) the team feeling anyway. And, I think a series end is different (I mean besides the obvious) than a season ender.

shinyredpants
June 2nd, 2004, 07:45 AM
Oh, I thought you were talking about two different episodes, from 2 seasons.

Anyway, I still think, especially for the end of the series we should see them acting as a team. Just for me, it's not enough to just rely on past knowledge, especially when things have been convoluted to destroy (imo) the team feeling anyway. And, I think a series end is different (I mean besides the obvious) than a season ender.

oh i probably did, i dont remember what i wrote already!

i think that during the episode they should kinda be split apart, all to come back together in the end for one last HUZZAH!

but you know what, it doesnt matter...i know i'll like it no matter what they do =) i'd espeically like it if it involved the simpsons at the end

just as long as they dont have jack waking up from a coma and realizing it was all just a dream...now that would piss me off

Dani347
June 2nd, 2004, 08:00 AM
i think that during the episode they should kinda be split apart, all to come back together in the end for one last HUZZAH!

Well, I don't think they need to be joined at the hip the entire episode. I want some interaction among all of them at some points during the episode. Whether that be all four together, or them in twos and threes but, kind of rotating. I don't mean exactly that, but where you see that all relationships among all of them are important. Where you can see that each member is important to each member. I'm big on seeing these things. And, i'd expect each team member to be playing a significant role, regardless of where they were. Also, that they'd do all this without it coming off as putting them together just for the sake of it. They would do it in a natural way.

But, yes, for the final scene, the one we take away, I think it should have all four members together.

shinyredpants
June 2nd, 2004, 08:09 AM
Well, I don't think they need to be joined at the hip the entire episode. I want some interaction among all of them at some points during the episode. Whether that be all four together, or them in twos and threes but, kind of rotating. I don't mean exactly that, but where you see that all relationships among all of them are important. Where you can see that each member is important to each member. I'm big on seeing these things. And, i'd expect each team member to be playing a significant role, regardless of where they were. Also, that they'd do all this without it coming off as putting them together just for the sake of it. They would do it in a natural way.

But, yes, for the final scene, the one we take away, I think it should have all four members together.

watching the simpsons!

epiphany
June 2nd, 2004, 08:27 AM

I don't see how that spoils the arguments at all. They said RDA's time was lessened and the other characters would get more focus. By what was said that seemed to mean the rest of the team would be spending MORE time together not LESS. It wasn't until well into the season's filming that any hints that the team was going to be constantly seperated came out.

Adamixoye
June 2nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Which episodes were these? The one with Daniel having appendicitis was necessitated by MS having appendicitis himself. What was
the season 4 ender?
I forget the name of the S4 ender, but they blew up the star and it turned into the S5 premiere "Enemies". Jack and Teal'c were off chasing Tannith, while Daniel, Sam, and Jacob were working on the star.

Adamixoye
June 2nd, 2004, 01:30 PM
So, was TBFTGOG a "team" episode or not? Discuss. How about "Small Victories"? Those are two of my favorite episodes where the "team" is not necessarily together, but all the characters are involved.

I've already made my point, so I won't try to try to make it too many more times. (And the discussion is interesting, if I wasn't looking for discussion I wouldn't have posted.) My point (to summarize once again) is two-fold: (1) I want closure and/or a sweeping, epic ending a lot more than I need/want a "team" moment to end the series and (2) Stargate is about the stories and the interesting characters (who also happen to interact well), and the "team" concept is only part of that--a good part, but not the main part.

Also, this is not intended to be a personal attack on anyone, but for the life of me I can't understand why someone who doesn't even watch the show anymore would post in the S8 folder. I understand having some frustration and wanting to express your opinions, but...if you've moved on from the show, it seems like you would have moved on from what they're going to do with it in S8.

ShadowMaat
June 2nd, 2004, 01:52 PM
You know what? I'll post in any thread I want to. I don't need anyone's permission or approval to do so. I have things to say and I'm going to say them. So there. Ignore me if you have to, but get over it and please stop questioning my right to post where and when and what I want to.

I think I've explained my reasonings more than enough times and I'm really kinda getting sick of defending myself.

Adamixoye
June 2nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
You know what? I'll post in any thread I want to. I don't need anyone's permission or approval to do so. I have things to say and I'm going to say them. So there. Ignore me if you have to, but get over it and please stop questioning my right to post where and when and what I want to. I am in no way questioning your right, or suggesting you need the permission of me or someone else. I'm only questioning your motivation because I don't understand it, in spite of your attempts to explain. No offense intended. I'm going to let it go now.

aAnubiSs
June 2nd, 2004, 03:11 PM
I don't care more for SG1 then I do for Stargate. The show, for me, is about the UNIVERSE, not anything in particular.

petzke_42
June 2nd, 2004, 03:49 PM
You know what? I'll post in any thread I want to. I don't need anyone's permission or approval to do so. I have things to say and I'm going to say them. So there. Ignore me if you have to, but get over it and please stop questioning my right to post where and when and what I want to.

I think I've explained my reasonings more than enough times and I'm really kinda getting sick of defending myself.

No offense, but maybe if you weren't so negative, people would take the things you say in a more.........positive (for lack of a better word) light.

I don't know why ANYONE is mad, but this is a public forum, so anyone can post anywhere they want and say anything (not against the ToS) they want.

Shipperahoy
June 2nd, 2004, 09:50 PM
My personal feeling on the matter is that everyone is welcome to voice their opinions on this thread even if it's an unpopular opinion. People are free to question those opinions and ask for them to be explained but it doesn't seem right to question their presence on this forum. People who don't watch the show now were still fans at some point and should be allowed to express their outrage at what they feel is the downhill slide of a show that they loved. And if people are brave and vocal enough to express opinions that are controversial and unpopular they have to be prepared for a certain amount of backlash but it should be constructive criticism and something that can lead to a legitimate discussion not merely making definative staments about said person.

Personally, although I feel that their were some developments in season 7 that I wasn't particulalry fond, Stargate is still my favorite show on television and I'm waiting impatiently for July. And I certainly hope that they last episode has the *entire* team in it for the majority of the episode. And I sincerely hope it isn't some open-ended cliffhanger just in case there's a movie or they're holding out hope of some charactars recurring on Atlantis.

epiphany
June 2nd, 2004, 10:49 PM

You go girl!!! Yeah!!! :)

Torley
June 2nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
Fighting amongst yourselves like System Lords! :|

Madeleine
June 3rd, 2004, 06:00 AM
I'd like a tidy ending, but I'd cope with an open-ended one. I loved how B7 ended (although 'bleak' doesn't suit Stargate so well!)

But I do think that it would be fitting for all four of the team to play a significant role in the closing ep. Not necesarily equally large, although that would be nice. But equally important in terms of saving the Galaxy. (I presume they'll save the Galaxy somehow ;))

It wouldn't hurt to have Hammond well into the mix, and Bratac and Jacob are always a welcome addition.

Torley
June 3rd, 2004, 10:56 AM
I agree -- something that closes all the main storylines left dangling in the series but leaves room for a future threat that SG-1 has to return and deal with... a cliffhanger ending would majorly suck unless some main issues had already been dealt with. I think they can tell a lot of fresh stories because there are a number of important points that have not been addressed... such as more time on Asgard and exactly why the Ancients won't interfere, and all that. Not to mention the priceless comedy episodes, the ongoing Goa'uld arcs, and soforth... BLOWING STUFF UP!!! :D

Elwe Singollo
June 4th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Ahh yes-s... blowing stuff up, hehe... Although thats not my favorite part of the show, its nice to watch :) And yes, the writers themselves said that they still have many ideas (good and bad) to write about, so i can't wait :)

David85
November 19th, 2004, 04:25 AM
If it was only about the Stargate then it would only be called Stargate. It is called SG-1 for a reason.

Adamixoye
November 19th, 2004, 07:22 AM
If it was only about the Stargate then it would only be called Stargate. It is called SG-1 for a reason.
I think I've already explained why I think this argument doesn't destroy my point, but I'll try to summarize. SG-1 is the center of the show, yes. They are the stars. But the show is about a lot of things, most of all, good stories. If those stories don't go out of their way to show us "team" moments but rather focuses on furthering the plotlines that have already been established, I'm going to be quite okay with that.

Hathor999
November 20th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Okay, now that I have your attention...

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for almost a year. Just so you know. Also, since this is somewhat about ending the series, I put it in the Season 8 folder, but maybe it should be general. I'm not sure which is better.

I read in some of the "ship" and "ending the series" threads that many people, regardless of shippiness, really want the series to end with a "team" episode, because to them, that's what the series is all about. A similar complaint is all the S7 episodes that were focused on the individual characters and not enough about the team.

But I believe the team concept is a little overrated. From where I'm sitting, the show is not about any one thing in particular. Yes, I know it's "Stargate SG-1", but it's debatable whether the key in that title is "SG-1" or "Stargate". The show is about the Stargate, it's about the aliens, it's about the action, it's about the characters, it's about the interactions of the characters (including both "team" and ship or the lack thereof), and I'm sure I could think of some more if I wanted to.

I've been watching the show since it first came out in syndication, then caught up when it went to Sci-Fi. The point is, by the end of this year I will have watched 8 seasons over 7 years. I don't care if the last episode is "team-centered" or not, what I want is as much closure as possible throughout this season. That includes storylines with the Goa'uld, Jaffa, Tok'ra, Asgard, Replicators, any ship, etc.

I only want things left open if it's done for the sake of a movie, and that movie actually gets made. What I don't want is it to be like "The Pretender" and the TV movies that followed, where they raised more questions than they answered before (apparently) people got bored, and they decided not to make any more movies.

Maybe I´m wrong but I beliefe that what you are asking for is maybe not so different from that what is meant with "team-episode".

I can only speak for myself but if I say I want a team end than I don´t mean an episode where they are sitting around and talking about how good friends they are or something like that but I want a big epic episode as we had it with "Serpent´s Grasp"/"Serpents Lair" or "Exodus"/"Enemies" or "Full Circle"
That is what I call a team episodes. Episodes which are full of story and action but which show us (and I must admit that I like it) that all four of them are still friends...

But what I don´t want is an ending what is most of the time about who has which relationship with whom and the rest of the episode is only there to fill the space between the relationship scenes. And I´m not talking about only one relationship here it is true for all possible relationships in the show.

But I beliefe still if the writers only wanted it they would be able(because I still beliefe many of them are great writers) to write an end that would give all fans (no matter if they are:team fans, shipper, Jack and Daniel friendship fans, action fans/special effects fans, goa´uld fans, or fans of good science fiction) something they could enjoy so that maybe not everybody would be completly happy with the end but everybody would have a little moment were they could say: Yes that I liked...

Hathor999
November 20th, 2004, 01:17 AM
So, was TBFTGOG a "team" episode or not? Discuss. How about "Small Victories"? Those are two of my favorite episodes where the "team" is not necessarily together, but all the characters are involved.

I've already made my point, so I won't try to try to make it too many more times. (And the discussion is interesting, if I wasn't looking for discussion I wouldn't have posted.) My point (to summarize once again) is two-fold: (1) I want closure and/or a sweeping, epic ending a lot more than I need/want a "team" moment to end the series and (2) Stargate is about the stories and the interesting characters (who also happen to interact well), and the "team" concept is only part of that--a good part, but not the main part.

Also, this is not intended to be a personal attack on anyone, but for the life of me I can't understand why someone who doesn't even watch the show anymore would post in the S8 folder. I understand having some frustration and wanting to express your opinions, but...if you've moved on from the show, it seems like you would have moved on from what they're going to do with it in S8.

I´m not so sure about a closure to the show. I mean I don´t want a cliffhanger ending but an ending with all goa´ulds dead, the SGC closed and SG 1 disbanded would be depressing for me. I think there should be a kind of closure but it should be done in a way that it´s still possible to make a movie after it or have SG 1 doing a guest appearance on Stargate:Atlantis...

JackDaniels
November 21st, 2004, 12:17 PM
I have to admit I am a lover of the team episodes. Its not always episodes where they are all working together and fighting together, but those episodes where all of the team are utilisied for their different skills - sam and her techno stuff, daniel translating/negotiating, Teal'c for his passion and fighting and Jack for his tactics/sarcasm/big guns. Ok so the Jack and Teal'c ones don't sound that good but i'm sure you know what I mean. Team episodes are not only to remind us, but also those people of the SGC who often seem to need reminding why SG-1 is the flagship team.

Individual episodes are all well and good, and allow us a better insight into each of the characters, but team episodes, when they all come together remind us of all that stuff and give us back the amazing team dynamic that they have developed over the past 7 years.

BeerGirl
November 24th, 2004, 10:34 AM
why do you think it's called SG-1? That's the TEAM. And it's about time we get back to a team feel.

Adamixoye
November 24th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Look, it seems like a lot of people fundamentally misunderstand the very nature of TV shows. The producers/writers/creators walk a fine line between doing what they think will please the most fans (so the show will survive, get good ratings, make money, etc.; note I said the most fans, not necessarily the most loyal fans) and doing what they find interesting and creatively satisfying. Sometimes they swing one way or another--they try to water it down for the masses and alienate their most loyal fans, or they make it wonderfully creative and complex and run the show into the ground because it doesn't appeal to the masses. Sometimes, with some shows, you can have it both ways. But not often.

What they DON'T have to do is answer to anyone about what their show should or shouldn't be about. I really don't care that the show is called "SG-1"--that doesn't mean the show is supposed to be "all about the team". It means the SG-1 members were originally created to be the main characters of the show. That's about it. The name does not constitute any sort of warranty.

What I am saying is that I don't care if Teal'c runs off with Ishta, Jack and Sam run off together, and Daniel marries Sarah Gardner...I would rather have those storylines resolved than just having a good "team" episode where the team fixes another spaceship, or resolves a conflict with another civilization, etc. I'm not trying to be uber-shippy or anti-shippy or anything, I'm just saying that I think a "team" episode, as I think of it (earlier in this thread I mentioned that I felt "One False Step" was an extremely boring "team" episode), would be boring when there are so many plotlines to resolve...intergalactic conflicts, historical alien mysteries, relationships, whatever.

The writers don't owe me any of this, just as they don't owe any of you what you want. I'm just stating my preferences and opinions, as many of you have stated yours. But what isn't really relevant to the argument is the oversimplification that the title of the show is "SG-1", so it should be all or at least mostly about the team. The show is about whatever the writers want it to be, and I personally hope they continue to make it about interesting scifi stories and interpersonal relationships without boundaries of "making it about the team".

the dancer of spaz
November 25th, 2004, 12:20 PM
The team dynamics keep me watching the show, and they have been since I started watching a year and a half ago. :)

Personally, I don't think you can have all of these loose-ends when it comes to essential plots and stories, however I think they've waited too long to patch a lot of those more obtuse storylines up, you know?

Stargate SG-1 has received an incredible increase in viewers, but they can't keep getting that kind of increase if they refer to things that happened in Season Three. A whole heckuva lot of those past plots had potential when they first took place, however I think they missed their "window of opportunity" ( ;) ) somewhere in Season Five.

I do agree however: They need to find some closure for other plotlines, and they shouldn't forsake that goal because of Team-Ship. Still, I have to say, if they definitely feel in need to do so, I won't mind, as long as the closing shot of the final ep has all four characters in it, with enough closure to let me know that the past eight (soon to be nine) years will have not been for naught. Personally, it'd take a lot to anger me beyond reason, but I'm one of those Hippe Fans, so...

Really, I just like to see how the characters have evolved over the years - individually, as a group, and on a one-on-one basis.

For instance, Daniel has evolved from a world-weary and wounded archaeologist to a very confident archaeologist, who happens to know how to wield a gun and can defend himself. He no longer needs Jack to protect him from the bad guys.

Teal'c has evolved from the silent, stoic, jaffa to the smiling, somewhat cynical friend. He no longer has any problems with indulging in seemingly Tau'ri emotions, and he can hold his own against Jack's various moods.

Sam has changed from the young Captain-Scientist to the Lieutenant Colonel with a bit of an edge. She can take the humor and dish it out. She was never one-dimensional in my opinion, but she's definitely got something about her that makes her more mature than she once was in Season One.

And then there's Jack. Really, he's changed from the angry, impatient Colonel, to the (somewhat) patient, and caring General. He's always had that moody-angst part of him that is sometimes really, really hard to understand, but with his age and maturity has come a lot of resolution and respect for certain situations.

I probably haven't explained it all as well as I could, but I do see a change in these characters- and I like it. I like it all. :D

Seeing how Sam and Teal'c finally, after all of these years, have a really strong friendship is so cool to me. Frankly, seeing all of them truly act like a family - bonded, easygoing, with no pretentions - is just so cool. A lot of shows that I've seen haven't been able to accomplish that amongst all of the action and drama that's always going, but these characters have come a long way together. I can't imagine seeing it end any other way, and I'm sure the actors can't either. It wouldn't do the show justice, and it wouldn't do their characters justice either. :)

Hathor999
November 26th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Look, it seems like a lot of people fundamentally misunderstand the very nature of TV shows. The producers/writers/creators walk a fine line between doing what they think will please the most fans (so the show will survive, get good ratings, make money, etc.; note I said the most fans, not necessarily the most loyal fans) and doing what they find interesting and creatively satisfying. Sometimes they swing one way or another--they try to water it down for the masses and alienate their most loyal fans, or they make it wonderfully creative and complex and run the show into the ground because it doesn't appeal to the masses. Sometimes, with some shows, you can have it both ways. But not often.

What they DON'T have to do is answer to anyone about what their show should or shouldn't be about. I really don't care that the show is called "SG-1"--that doesn't mean the show is supposed to be "all about the team". It means the SG-1 members were originally created to be the main characters of the show. That's about it. The name does not constitute any sort of warranty.

What I am saying is that I don't care if Teal'c runs off with Ishta, Jack and Sam run off together, and Daniel marries Sarah Gardner...I would rather have those storylines resolved than just having a good "team" episode where the team fixes another spaceship, or resolves a conflict with another civilization, etc. I'm not trying to be uber-shippy or anti-shippy or anything, I'm just saying that I think a "team" episode, as I think of it (earlier in this thread I mentioned that I felt "One False Step" was an extremely boring "team" episode), would be boring when there are so many plotlines to resolve...intergalactic conflicts, historical alien mysteries, relationships, whatever.

The writers don't owe me any of this, just as they don't owe any of you what you want. I'm just stating my preferences and opinions, as many of you have stated yours. But what isn't really relevant to the argument is the oversimplification that the title of the show is "SG-1", so it should be all or at least mostly about the team. The show is about whatever the writers want it to be, and I personally hope they continue to make it about interesting scifi stories and interpersonal relationships without boundaries of "making it about the team".

Please don´t see that as an attack. You are right the producers/writers/creators owe us nothing but I think we all have the right to talk about what we would like to see. The team fans as much as anyone else. And you want something for yourself, too: As many plots resolved as possible. Something what´s is for me not important, I don´t want an cliffhanger ending but I would like it much more if I could have the feeling that SG 1 is still somewhere outthere as having like on a checklist all open plotlines "resolved". What´s sounding for me incredibly boring.
So we have all our wishes and ideas. And can´t believe that we forcing the writers or anyone else to do anything that they don´t want if we are talking here about this wishes.

Adamixoye
November 28th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Please don´t see that as an attack. You are right the producers/writers/creators owe us nothing but I think we all have the right to talk about what we would like to see. The team fans as much as anyone else. And you want something for yourself, too: As many plots resolved as possible. Something what´s is for me not important, I don´t want an cliffhanger ending but I would like it much more if I could have the feeling that SG 1 is still somewhere outthere as having like on a checklist all open plotlines "resolved". What´s sounding for me incredibly boring.
So we have all our wishes and ideas. And can´t believe that we forcing the writers or anyone else to do anything that they don´t want if we are talking here about this wishes.
Oh, I didn't see it as an attack. But the response of "It's called 'SG-1'", made by more than one person in this thread, would indicate to me that the person who says that feels that it's more than an opinion about what they'd like to see; that's it's something "owed" them or is the "right" answer about what the series is about.

That is what I'm trying to say.

Madeleine
November 28th, 2004, 05:57 AM
Look, it seems like a lot of people fundamentally misunderstand the very nature of TV shows.

I don't think so. We all know how and why television programmes are made. This is a discussion board for a television show, and we're discussing how we'd like the show to end, or how we think it should end. We're not telling anyone what to do, least of all TPTB.

But what isn't really relevant to the argument is the oversimplification that the title of the show is "SG-1", so it should be all or at least mostly about the team.

It's relevant. The topic of a thread is defined by the opening post. If people's legitimately expressed opinions include "I think there should be a team ending because the show is called Startage SG-1", who has a right to tell them they're not understanding TV properly or that they aren't being relevant enough? By all means tell them that *you* don't feel that way, and feel free to explain why you don't feel that way.

I want a team ending. I want it cos I think it would be nice. I think it ought to be teamy because it would be fitting, after nine years of a team show. And I think that a show with SG-1 in the title would do best to focus on SG-1 in its final episode. Agree or disagree, but don't tell me I'm wrong to think and feel as I think and feel, or that my opinions are based on misunderstanding or irrelevance, cos I understand fine, and my reasons are totally relevant.