This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions about naquadah

i have a few questions about naquadah for a fic i might write.

1. does naquadah have anything to do with goa'uld abilities, other than using their technology?

2. could naquadah be "transmitted" if you will from one person to another, via a blood transfusion or something like that? and would it stay in their bloodstream or eventually sort of fade away?

i don't know if those questions are answered, i'm not looking for an answer as much as i want to know if someone read that in a fic, would they think, "how stupid can this person get?" or "wow that's cool!"
    Last edited by Greesha; 31 May 2004, 11:38 AM. Reason: thread title

The naquadah in the bloodstream of a Goa'uld host, or former host, allows them to use their technology; some works anyway, but in particular the hand devices require the naquadah to act as a vector to channel the user's emotions into controlling the emitters. This naquadah is also connected to the ability of Goa'uld to sense other naquadah, including that in other symbiotes. It may also be related to their genetic memory.

Presumably, the naquadah also retains its ability to act as a store of energy, which might account for the burning eyes; a release of excess energy. Whether the naquadah has anything to do with the great strength of a Goa'uld host is up to you. I tend to assume it's to do with their ability to ignore pain and repair muscle damage, but naquadah is pretty much the general purpose funk of funkiness; if you wanted a Goa'uld to channel the stored energy into their muscles in some way, that wouldn't be incompatible with canon.

Clearly naquadah does persist in the human bloodstream, even without the Goa'uld symbiote or protein marker, as Cassie retains a sufficient concentration after a year to sense the symbiote in Sam in In the Line of Duty.

Trying to transfuse a sufficient concentration of naquadah might be difficult, but you could say that, once having naquadah in the blood, a person's system absorbs the mineral from the air and water on planets where it is present in quantity; or from an enriched naquadah-shake. Your transfusee could either absorb more naquadah in this way, or you could decide that any amount is enough.
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

[QUOTE=Greesha]i have a few questions about naquadah for a fic i might write.

1. does naquadah have anything to do with goa'uld abilities, other than using their technology?

2. could naquadah be "transmitted" if you will from one person to another, via a blood transfusion or something like that? and would it stay in their bloodstream or eventually sort of fade away?

/QUOTE]

In regards to your question 2, in the epsiode Absolute Power, Daniel Jackson, when he has the memories of an Harcesis, states that he knows how to use the Goa'uld hand device, but he needs Naquadah in his blood. Since having those memories he would know if it could be transfused, say from Sam Carter, and does'n't have it transfused, one can assume that transfusion cannot be used to supply Naquadah to anyone who does'n't already have it in the blood.

As for Cassie, I believe that was part of the genetic manipulation done by Nirrti.

Comment

Cassie's naquadah comes from the disintegration of the potassium/naquadah explosive device in her heart, rather than her genetic manipulation. It is possible that her hak'tar nature allows her body to retain naquadah to a greater degree than a normal human, but it struk me that there is another possibility.

It is always possible that Daniel's dream had everything to do with making a point, and nothing to do with actual Goa'uld knowledge. I've increasingly wondered whether the whole funky satellite thing was really secret Goa'uld knowledge, or just a symbol thrown up by Daniel's imagination to fit Shifu's order.

Comment

I can't remember which ep I heard this from, but straight up naquada is deadly.

So, what happens is that Naquada is bonded to something else, a protein I think...possibly it's the protein marker that Sam has.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
            I can't remember which ep I heard this from, but straight up naquada is deadly.

So, what happens is that Naquada is bonded to something else, a protein I think...possibly it's the protein marker that Sam has.
            But Cassie doesn't have that protein marker; nor, for that matter, do the Goa'uld. The protein marker is left by a dying Goa'uld. If a Goa'uld had that marker in its blood, Machello's machines - which used the marker to identify when their target was dead - would have assumed every Goa'uld it attacked was already dead.

Naquadah isn't poisonous, to the best of my knowledge. Are you sure you're not thinking of Goa'uld blood, which is supposed to be deadly to humans, at least in the bloodstream if not in the digestion.

Comment

Working...
            X