This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revealing the Stargate to the world....POSSIBLE SPOILERS

How is the SGC going to cover up what happened during the finale of S7? Multiple LARGE explosions in space, 100's of ships battling in Antarctica, a huge beam of jellyfish of doom shooting up into the sky. Don't tell me not a single person, or even a couple of million people didn't see ANY of this. How can they possibly cover all of this up? There has to be thousands of proof positive alien existance pictures circulating the internet by now. And i'm sorry but excuses like ball lightning and swamp gas just won't cut it. I for one will be quite upset if this problem isn't dealt with to a large extent in S8, possibly even revealing the program to the world. What choice do they actually have this time?
    -Captain Insano

The battle took place entirely over Anartica, so chances are high that NOT a lot of civilians saw it. The jellyfish thingies were probably not visible to the closest town. The ships were in high orbit, and there is a possibility that some people did see it, but what are the chances that you'd be looking at the sky when they all blew up.

The meteor strike wouldn't work for me. I'd also like to see how they deal with it. Revealing the SGC to the world would be met with a widerange of emotions from panic to whatever. How would you react if the president came on and told you that we have contact with aliens and that they visit regulary?

Who would get pictures?
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Anubis was also courteous enough to launch his attack against the side of the planet under broad daylight, so the ships and explosions wouldn't have been easily visible or eye catching from the ground to your typical naked-eye observer. The big secrecy problem is going to be getting all those F-302 pilots to keep their collective mouths shut, and what to do about any other fighter pilots that survived the encounter with the Goa'uld.

Oh, and explaining just what happened to the Nimitz battlegroup.

-Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Crush
        Anubis was also courteous enough to launch his attack against the side of the planet under broad daylight, so the ships and explosions wouldn't have been easily visible or eye catching from the ground to your typical naked-eye observer. The big secrecy problem is going to be getting all those F-302 pilots to keep their collective mouths shut, and what to do about any other fighter pilots that survived the encounter with the Goa'uld.

Oh, and explaining just what happened to the Nimitz battlegroup.

-Nick
        didnt you learn anything from x-files?

they brainwash you! many many times...then put you in an alien suit with a cigarette and you're just seen going "this is not happening" a million times...

then they'll just think you're insane =)

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
        Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
        Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

TPTB will find a way...

No, but it would be nice to see an episode where they have to deal with the end result of a goa'uld attack.
          Godspeed, Don.

Comment

I'm guessing if there is anyone who did see what happened, then it will be dealt with. They can come up with all kinds of excuses
            __

__

Comment

I think that they will at least have to change the cover story.. A meteor shower only hitting strategic targets? I don't think so. After the battle over the outpost... well its hard to tell what may or may not have been seen.
              The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

OH please, it was over Antarctica so NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD KNEW ABOUT IT. I'm sorry but the "it was over Antarctica" excuse just won't cut it. The ships were detroyed midday BUT these are HUGE explosions we're talking about. We're not talking a single mothership, or a single nuke, we're talking an ENTIRE FLEET IN SECONDS, the light emitted from the blast would have easily rivaled the sun. not to mention the thousands of people around the world that keep eyes on the sky at all times for the very E.T.s that were destroyed. And of course we have strategic destruction of military targets.....
                -Captain Insano

Comment

Not just military targets... I'm fairly sure something was said about the power grid being hit as well. Although how widespread the hit was is anyone's guess.

Of course the US Government could simply issue a press release: Pay no attention to the recent flashes in the sky. We are investigating but currently they appear to be natural phenomenon. Pay no attention to the claims of an alien invasion. By the way, we won.
                  The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

That is correct. They started taking out power grids, telephone lines and ways of communication as 'main targets'. The big explosion at the end was a flash of blue light very bright light. I'm sure people with their own telescopes would have seen it
                    __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Capt_Insano
                      OH please, it was over Antarctica so NOT A SINGLE PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD KNEW ABOUT IT.
                      If a person would come to you and say "I have seen a space ship exploding over Antarctica", would you believe him, even if he was right? And how many people have their telescopes directed at the sky over Antarctica and then tape it to have proof (I'm talking about individuals here, not in connection with the military or the like, who could easily be forced to sign a few papers for closure). There's just not enough civilsation down there (take a look at the world: Australia (the only highly civilised region so deep in the South) is still pretty much in the North of the Southern hemisphere.)

Originally posted by Capt_Insano
                      I'm sorry but the "it was over Antarctica" excuse just won't cut it. The ships were detroyed midday BUT these are HUGE explosions we're talking about. We're not talking a single mothership, or a single nuke, we're talking an ENTIRE FLEET IN SECONDS, the light emitted from the blast would have easily rivaled the sun.
                      Yes, it must have been very bright, but I remember how long I had to wait to get some news pictures from the big train explosion in Korea a few weeks ago, and the pics were still very poor, and that was in a region where thousands of people live. Now image how much proof of a few explosions you would have when literally no-one lives there.

I imagine it is very hard to force the government of any country to make the secret of aliens public, especially when you don't have proof. (I may have to change my opinion about that topic after "Covenant", because, we, the audience don't know yet what kind of proof is already out there).
                      No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                      (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Covenant will be the episode to deal with this I think. GateWorld's spoilers say that a billionaire wants the truth revealled about aliens. My guess is he has info about the big explosion. We'll soon see
                        __

__

Comment

^ Indeed... SPOILERS FOR SEASON EIGHT

Highlight Colson calls a press-conference and before the assembled reporters announces that the tragedy which befell the United States five months previously - the deaths of 2,000 US service men and women in a naval carrier group - was not as a result of a meteor strike which disrupted global communications. /End

SOURCE

I think that people would buy a cover story. Most folks are skeptics at heart, and would rather believe in a 'plausible' answer than in a UFO attack.

Comment

I think you're right. People would take a cover story like a missile on board thje ship blew up or something causing them to all be killed. I dunno. Something will be made up!
                            __

__

Comment

I wouldnt be surprised if the White House tries to NOT play it off as a meteor strike, especially with the blue flashes. And although people say that someone had to see it because of people constantly looking up in the sky, you have to realize that it was a mere fluke that the Amateur Astrologist saw that Meteor, courtesy of Anubis. and the fact that an Asgard ship is able to hide itself from detection is proof, and that only the SGC would know what to look for since they knew about Anubis' fleet coming out of hyperspace.

As to what they will cover it up as if any, they will definitely try to aim for a Solar activity which would explain the power grids and flashes of light. but that is just speculation.
                              Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

Working...
                              X