Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

Hehe. Sorry for the long title, but I couldn't resist. I got this story in an email from my boss today.

Death Via Internet

London - A British teenager posed as an espionage agent in an internet chatroom to persuade a friend to stab him to death in a complex and bizarre suicide attempt, a court was told on Friday.

"Skilled writers of fiction would struggle to conjure up a plot such as that which arises here," said the judge hearing the case at Manchester crown court in northwest England.

The would-be victim, aged 14 and named only as Boy B, invented a complex cast of fictional characters with which he communicated with his 16-year-old friend, Boy A, eventually exerting a huge degree of control over him.

The older teenager was eventually persuaded that he had been recruited by the British secret service to kill Boy B, after which he would be rewarded with a job as well as a sexual relationship with the 39-year-old female "spy".

In June last year, Boy A carried out his "orders" and stabbed his friend - who, he had also been told, had a cancerous tumour - in the chest and stomach, the court was told.

Banned from using internet chatrooms

However, Boy B did not die, and police later pieced together the astonishing story from 56 000 lines of computer chatroom text between Boy A and his various real and invented correspondents.

Boy A was given a two-year supervision order on Friday after pleading guilty to attempted murder, while Boy B was given a three-year order for perverting the course of justice and incitement to murder, and banned from using internet chatrooms.

"It was incitement to commit murder - his own murder," said detective chief inspector Julian Ross, who led the investigation team, of Boy B's complicated plot.

"I am not aware of any other cases where that has taken place."

Judge David Maddison said "a number of extraordinary features (are) associated with this case".

Posed as a teenage girl

Under normal circumstances, a charge of attempted murder would carry a long jail term, he told Boy A, while adding: "But these could not be described as any normal circumstances."

"I accept, fantastic though it seems when looked at now in the cold light of day, that... so convincingly were the characters presented to you that you really did believe you had been recruited by the secret service to kill your co-accused and face the consequences if you did not do so."

The court had been told how Boy B first contacted Boy A in a chatroom in early 2003 by posing as a teenage girl, who then "introduced" Boy B as her step-brother. The boys became friends and later met in the flesh.

However, the plot thickened as Boy B introduced a series of other characters apart from the "spy", including someone who - to Boy A's increasing horror - supposedly stalked Boy B and then killed the girl.

Ross said nothing in Boy B's background suggested why he wanted to die.

"We have not come across any underlying things that would turn a child to do this sort of thing," he said.
    It seems like an awfully complicated way to try and kill yourself. I mean, jeez, just take a bottle of pills or jump off a cliff or something. Creative, but way too complicated and time-consuming.

The funny thing is, I could see me doing something similar- at least as far as creating multiple active personalities and having them all interact with people, but not to kill me or anyone else. Except maybe... nah, nevermind. I'd do it as a creative exercise to see if I could get away with it and to try and create believable characters, but I'd probably want some kind of end result beyond proving I could do it. Like maybe using those characters in a story or using the idea as a plotline or something.

Anyway, just wanted to share and see what other people thought.

That will have to go near the top of the bizzarro list. Reminds me of Tom Sawyer - always taking the most convoluted method to solve any problem.
    Nmom
    sigpic

Comment

Seems to be rather a disturbed mind,to deliberately concoct a situation like that.

Wish the Guy had found a more positive way to play out his sick little games.

"Walter Mitty on Crack",possibly ?

Have to add: If this e-mail was a hoax,it's a good one!

I mean,we Brits are pretty eccentric at times,but Gee!
      Last edited by Bagpuss; 31 May 2004, 01:12 AM.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

It's not a hoax, believe me! I work in a paticular supermarket who's partial to orange, and Jaime Oliver... Anywho, I work in the kiosk and it was on the front page of EVERY broadsheet, and even some tabloid newspapers.

Comment

Drat! That blows my idea of writing a Fan-Fic or other scribblings on the theme!!

*Head-Butts Wall*

*OW!!*

(Thank goodness I only used a "Virtual" Wall! )

Comment

You can still write it, you'd just be viewed as a sick individual

I bet there's some fanfics about 9/11 out there somewhere if you look.

Comment

I wouldn't cast that boy as any kind of "Hero",believe me!

As for 9/11, I would never touch that whole issue in any way,either.

No way should that tragedy ever be trivialised,IMO. Too many lost lives and horror all round.

I have to admit there were some rather sick jokes since on the subject,but
              I'll never repeat them, nor find them laughable in any way........

Have to admit I'm happy to leave writing Fan-Fics to others. Just might write one someday,though. Possibly but not probably!

Comment

Yeah... 9/11... there were quite a few bad jokes about that, but there was 1 I did find quite funny (not gonna repeat it here). But as for that kid in the story, why would you go to such lengths to orchastrate such a murder? I suppose tho that if the BoyB had not said anything about the secret service and just carried out his mission it would almost be the perfect crime... If BoyA hadn't chosen himself as the target. I mean, think about it, he could've sent that kid to do any of his bidding, and never have been caught as the original target.

Comment

Originally posted by KokiriChild
                  If BoyA hadn't chosen himself as the target. I mean, think about it, he could've sent that kid to do any of his bidding, and never have been caught as the original target.
                  Yeah, I've just been thinking about that, and it really kind of scares me. I mean you always hear people talking about how dangerous chatrooms can be and what happens all over the world... but this is quite shocking IMO. When I first read it I didn't really realize what this meant, but thinking about it and realizing what the boy could have make the other one do... that gives me a really weird feeling.

Comment

That's a shame really. Why will they think of next?

That's going on the top 10 bizare things for this month.
                    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Originally posted by Dramaqueen
                      Yeah, I've just been thinking about that, and it really kind of scares me. I mean you always hear people talking about how dangerous chatrooms can be and what happens all over the world... but this is quite shocking IMO. When I first read it I didn't really realize what this meant, but thinking about it and realizing what the boy could have make the other one do... that gives me a really weird feeling.
                      I know how you feel - it just ruins it for the rest of us who actually enjoy chatting, rather than manipulating

Comment

Boss printed off another story for me today. I get the strange feeling he's trying to tell me something.

Internet Blamed in School Killing
                        Originally posted by George Nishiyama
                        TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese media have turned to the Internet as a culprit in the shocking killing of a 12-year-old girl by her classmate this week, as trouble over messages posted on a Web site emerged as a possible motive.

The 11-year-old girl who killed Satomi Mitarai by slashing her throat at their primary school in southern Japan on Tuesday told police she killed her friend because she was angry about a message posted on a Web site, newspapers said.
                        Anyone who wants to read the full story can follow the link.

This is wild stuff. I mean, I've been annoyed at stuff people have posted about me on the net, but never to the point where I wanted to or tried to kill someone. Even if they had been in range. Then again, I'm also not an eleven year old Japanses schoolgirl. Dunno if that makes a difference. I guess insanity comes in all shapes and sizes.

Maybe this should serve as a warning to people who say mean things about other people.

Hmm. Hope none of TPTB are eleven year old Japanese schoolgirls...

Comment

I was just on my way here to post that. It's sad really I mean - how could an 11 year old kill, with (apparently) no remorse?

Comment

Originally posted by KokiriChild
                            I was just on my way here to post that. It's sad really I mean - how could an 11 year old kill, with (apparently) no remorse?
                            I blame television. It desensitizes kids to violence.

But seriously, murder in general is an incredible thing. How people can just randomly plan to kill each other... *shakes head* If it isn't war, self-defense or the much-overused "temporary insanity", I just don't get it.

As for an 11 year old killer, the only thing I can think of is that she doesn't fully realize what it is she's done. Intellectually (ha) she may get it, but I don't know that she fully, emotionally understands the impact of her act. Or at least, thoughts like that will help me sleep better at night. Much better than thinking that the world is full of cold-blooded (and very young) potential murderers always on the verge of "losing it".

Comment

Indeed! I mean... I dunno, but I could NEVER have done anything like that when I was 11, weather I realised the implications or not because it just wouldn't feel right, and come off it, slitting someone's throat requires a bit more thought than just plainley stabbing someone... it kinda makes my stomach turn just thinking about it. Poor girl tho...

Comment

Working...
                              X