PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a favourite fic writer?

Major Clanger
April 27th, 2004, 10:42 AM
care to share their name, and maybe a quick run down of what (if any) their speciality is?

Can you recommend a fic by them to get us started?

Nolamom
May 2nd, 2004, 01:05 AM
I don't read a great deal of fanfic, but I really like ShadowMaat's stuff. She has a wicked sense of humour. ;)
Nola

Major Clanger
May 2nd, 2004, 01:08 AM
I've just realised that I didn't post about my favourite fic. One of my favourites is "Vindication or Payback's a B***" (I think that's it) and I think it's by Brenda Antrim (but don't quote me, I have a brain like Swiss cheese)

I love just about everything by The Prophet (archives on GateWorld and Helio and is featured on the Novel Archive)

JayEm, Jmas, Brenda Antrim, Denise, Gracie... off the top of my head. Kat and Tere did a most excellent thing Skipped Stones, too.

Sparki101
May 2nd, 2004, 04:51 AM
My all time favourite Jackfic writer is BadgerGater. So I would recomend all of her fic's from O'Neill's House.
Closely followed by Karen Kent, another JackFic author. I loved her 'Smoke with Fire.'

Watters87
May 2nd, 2004, 05:46 AM
Sally Reeve and Jo. R both excellent Sam/Jack Fic writers. Sally does angst really well and Jo. R stories do mostly get shippy quickly. Anything by these writers are worth reading

angsty_otaku
May 2nd, 2004, 07:31 AM
my "all-time" favorite stargate fan fic writer has to be Badgergater...her fic deals a lot with jack :-)
other top honors go to (actually...a lot of jackfic >.<):
biltong
corine
denise
gumnut
hoodat whatzit
ruralstar
seldear
Gallagater
Lingren
feli
the list can actually go on for awhile >.< go fan fic writers >.<

SallyK
May 2nd, 2004, 12:47 PM
I like reading stories from many different authors but these are the ones I cheer when they have a new story and drop everything to read it.

When it comes to slash some of my favourite writers are Biblio, Sideburns and Imagine.

For gen I love ELG, Travelling One and Badgergater.

SallyK

KatG
May 2nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
care to share their name, and maybe a quick run down of what (if any) their speciality is?

Absolute all time favorite would have to be The Prophet. I anxiously await each and every new fic as he tends to write sequels upon sequels. I do like thought that each fic works well as a stand alone too.

Closely following that are Brenda Gracie and Carrie. Nice long involved fic. My only complaint is that they don't write nearly enough. :)

Also enjoy fic by MajorClanger and Feli (well at least their gen and ship fic), Sazz, Sally Reeve, JoR, Denise, Tere, AC, AlliSnow and Trish (good Teal'c centered fic). I'm sure I'm leaving people out, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

dipsofjazz
May 2nd, 2004, 03:28 PM
Sally Reeve and Jo. R both excellent Sam/Jack Fic writers. Sally does angst really well and Jo. R stories do mostly get shippy quickly. Anything by these writers are worth reading
I am really into the shippy stories, and I have to agree that these two writers are my favourites. :)

TameFarrar
May 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM
Off the top of my head ...right this moment....
RuralStar has some wonderful strories. She leans towards S/J pairing but has a bit of other stuff and has some great links as well. SNY did a wonderful video trailer for one of her stories as well

I really like Sally Reeve too, Aeryn if you like it a bit racier

Geekyred
May 2nd, 2004, 06:55 PM
Always, always Sally Reeve. JoJo (for the funnies) as well and CharlieBooker and Flatski(sp?) and some other Darkfic writers - the names escape me but I'll edit if I remember.

daxterdd
May 2nd, 2004, 09:03 PM

Ship-wise my favorite is ALli Snow. The Andromeda Series and the Asylum trilogy both blew my mind.

For Slash Biblio is my absolute facorite for the serious stuff, but my absolute favorite fic, period, is The DJ diaries by Anais. I laugh so much my sides hurt.

priornavalperson
May 2nd, 2004, 09:21 PM
I'm absolutely hooked on The Prophet.:cool:

http://www.prophet.phlegethon.org/Fiction/SG-1/SG1.htm

Major Clanger
May 3rd, 2004, 10:56 AM
Absolute all time favorite would have to be The Prophet.
You know, we're all going to have to stop mentioning him. His head will never fit through the door!!

;)

But I have to say, we should spread the word.

Does that make us Prophetettes?

Mr Prophet
May 3rd, 2004, 11:07 AM
You know, we're all going to have to stop mentioning him. His head will never fit through the door!!

Too late. I'm going to quit my course and become professionally obnoxious now.

Anyone know any good complex sentences, by the way?

Major Clanger
May 3rd, 2004, 11:11 AM
Anyone know any good complex sentences, by the way?
complex sentences? No. Clangers are generally not good at grammar, parsing or anything more complicated than whistling for soup.

Mr Prophet
May 3rd, 2004, 11:17 AM
complex sentences? No. Clangers are generally not good at grammar, parsing or anything more complicated than whistling for soup.

Rubbish. The grammar on The Clangers was impeccable. Jack would have been proud.

Major Clanger
May 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM
Oh yes. There are no dangling participles in space, you know.

Mr Prophet
May 3rd, 2004, 11:34 AM
Oh yes. There are no dangling participles in space, you know.

Not outside of slash fiction, anyway.

Major Clanger
May 3rd, 2004, 11:35 AM
eek... you're not telling me there is Clanger slash...

oh...

I get it.

very funny.
:p

Webbgirl
May 3rd, 2004, 04:09 PM
I have several favorites, but right now I'd have to say that Pepe tops the list. She writes wonderful Jack/Daniel slash. I also like Starblade for Jack/Paul slash.

chevroneight
May 4th, 2004, 12:52 PM
I really like Ruths fics. Her Big Brother Series was brilliant! Definitely read it if you haven't yet. :)

MegTDJ
May 4th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Sazz and Thel are among my fave gen authors. Especially loved Sazz's Between 2 Sunsets, and Thel's two-part series Fate and At The End of Dreams. They both write Daniel the way I like to read him - strong and capable, without the "Daniel's hurt so Jack has to save him" kinda mentality.

For Dan/Jan ship I love Suzie Bagley (Frozen Flame is my fave fic of all time) and SaraC (Leap of Faith is my fave of hers).

the dancer of spaz
May 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Indeed.

the dancer of spaz
May 4th, 2004, 06:05 PM
I'll have to go with JoR and Sally Reeves, AlliSnow, and AC, too, whom I think were mentioned before. I'm a ship-reader, and they do really well.
JoR's long ones are awesome. Sally Reeves does angst really well.

jenniferhailey
May 5th, 2004, 07:12 AM
Hathor. Lady S. Kitty S. :cool: :cool: :D :)

Sam_o_Neill
May 8th, 2004, 12:28 PM
I don't really read many fic anymore but the best fics i've read are probably Sally Reeves' she is an amazing writer!!
I've also read loads of great fics on Heliopolis and Fanfiction.net but I'll be damned if I can remeber any names :S

bbfan
May 14th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Patricia Byrne
Sue Corkill
SGCGategirl
Suzvoy
JoJo
Charli Booker

There is no special order. Love them all equally. :)

Blue841
May 15th, 2004, 03:22 AM
The Odyssey by Carhop is a fantastic story for S/J, its very long but well worth the read!

Crazedwraith
May 15th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Does it have to be a stargate fanfic author?
If so then the writer of "Scarab" SG1/BtvS fic: "BK the Irregular"
Link: http://sgnovels.shahrazad.net/storiess/scarab.txt

If not then it has to be Stardestroyer.net's Stravo. Who has done two magnicicant SW/ST fanfics and a Matrix/Terminator one, a transformer one and a comic book one.
link:http://www.daltonator.net/fanfics/stravo.html

Ancient 1
August 9th, 2004, 11:09 PM
I don't think it's SciFi, (more in the fantasy realm), but I really enjoyed The Chroncles of Amber by Roger Zelazny...or did I entirely miss the point of this thread?

sueKay
August 13th, 2004, 04:04 AM
My favourite fic writer is Mishy Mo. I also like

Lunar
Black Leather
Cathain Nottingham
Flatkatsi
Ussshorty

I can think of more, but the name's escape me at the moment. I found all of these writers at fanfiction.net

sueKay
August 13th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Patricia Byrne
Sue Corkill
SGCGategirl
Suzvoy
JoJo
Charli Booker

There is no special order. Love them all equally. :)

Suzvoy's stuff's great! I like her music vids too!

michelleb
August 15th, 2004, 09:58 AM
suzvoy, venom69 for the nc17 stuff, seldear for the huge long stuff (i mean story!!!!), bren ren does a great pratchett/sg1 cross over..there's so many, i can't mention..i'd mention sally reeve, but pratically everyone else has got there before me....

brihana25
August 21st, 2004, 05:20 PM
Roxie, ELG, [email protected], Lex and DawnC would be my top five.

jamiedecurry1966
September 7th, 2004, 12:36 AM
I seem to remember you were a bit of a dab hand at fanfic MC :)

Tracy Jane
September 9th, 2004, 04:09 AM
I've only just got into fic, because I had this SG-dream and had to write it, so have been trying to see what's out there etc.

Anyway, I love Suzanne Whitmarsh (I think that's her name) on Gateworld. She's got some fabulous Sam/Jack shippy stories, and it's quite angst-y too. Not plain sailing, I like that.

Bagpuss
September 18th, 2004, 02:00 PM
I've just realised I've never posted my faves,despite reading quite a lot of different fics .
"Postgate PG-1" by Major Clanger ....Bliss ! :D
Modern classic,imo.I have to admit my Gatelets love this story too !
I like the Original characters too.See "Sergeant Who" and "Watching".

Denise: Emerald City site.Hard to pick a fave fic,though.My favourite writer W/Without writing partners ,for Sam,Teal'c,Team adventure and angst. Also I really enjoy the "missing scenes" Wormcon, and "Eric". :D

ShadowMaat.....for Luke,McKay(See GW Fic),Nirrti/Jonas,and for her fic challenges.
Aeryn .Stationery Cupboard fics.(GW) Must check out the others . :)
Splash the Cat.Various fics.Once again..can't recall the titles,but I liked the stories. :o

Overall main fave sites then: GateWorld Fan-fic Heliopolis,Emerald City and Shadowlight Industries.

I've yet to check out loads of the other writers posted by others on this thread,but I'll try ! :D

pettygrew
September 19th, 2004, 06:03 AM
I'm a fanfic junkie so I have a lot of favorite authors. I like Daniel-centric stories. My top favorite authors are KelsieB, Thel, DawnC, DebiC, ELG, TravellingOne, ETS, Scribe, TCR, JoaG, Jingles, and Roxie...just to name a few.

Some of my favorite stories include: The Search, by DebiC, When in Rome by Sylvia, Little Kid Diplomacy, by Jingles, Fate by Thel, Nor Iron Bars, by Lex, Initiation by Scribe, and Violation by DawnC.

Someone mentioned Frozen Flame by Sue Bagley and I would highly recommend that for the Daniel/Janet fans.

For mild slash The Quinn Bar Series by Quinn. Very good!

JackDaniels
February 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
I only started reading fanfic a little while ago, but a couple of my favs are Cathain Nottingham, Ann SGCfan and SunRAys And SAtuRdAYs, especially for the shorter, lighter fic that usually never fails to make me laugh. (all found on Gateworld)

gatelover12
February 9th, 2005, 12:15 PM
I'm embaressed to admit it but, Aeryn just the wonderfuly natural way she/he handles ship. :D

Purple
February 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Denise, Denise, Denise, Denise, Denise, Denise, Denise did I mention Denise, LOVE her stuff

caroline

Katkin
February 10th, 2005, 01:33 AM
Must confess to being a shippers so I love Sally Reeve’s stories – they are beautifully written too. Also, for canon S/J UST and major Jack whumpage, Doc is my first port of call. Big rosettes also to Alli Snow, Ruralstar, JackieO’NeillNut, DustDevil, Seldear, Dietcokechick and Lunar [her warts-and-all realistic portrayal of S&J is the tops]. For a great one-off S/J fic, check out Dancing on the Volcano, by Toulouse. And there is an ongoing story at Gatefic by Enigmatic Ellie, called Garden of the Gods, which I’m really enjoying. ;)

Sia
February 11th, 2005, 04:43 AM
I read tonnes of FanFic and my all time favourite is a tie between Sally Reeve and Susie Bagley, neither of who seem to be writing anymore. I've only seen a couple from Sally Reeve since she had her baby and last I heard Susie Bagley was concentrating on a professional writing career. There are heaps of other gems out there but these are in a class of their own.

mishy_mo
February 11th, 2005, 01:39 PM
my fave fic author is sueKay which is just as well cos we 'try' to collaborate on a story so...

anywhoo sueKay is a master writer!!

ThomasCarter
February 14th, 2005, 08:05 AM
|Can I reccomend myself???

Here's the link...

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2263763/1/

Hope you like..

ThomasCarter-

BrenRen
February 15th, 2005, 08:07 AM
I read tonnes of FanFic and my all time favourite is a tie between Sally Reeve and Susie Bagley, neither of who seem to be writing anymore. I've only seen a couple from Sally Reeve since she had her baby and last I heard Susie Bagley was concentrating on a professional writing career. There are heaps of other gems out there but these are in a class of their own.

Sally Reeve, as you may or may not know, is now a Fandemonium Author! Couldn't have happend to a better author, IMHO! Look for her book in the UK or on amazon.co.uk; it's Matter of Honor, and she used the alternate penname, Sally Malcolm. I've heard nothing but great stuff about it!

Skydiver
February 15th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Sally Reeve, as you may or may not know, is now a Fandemonium Author! Couldn't have happend to a better author, IMHO! Look for her book in the UK or on amazon.co.uk; it's Matter of Honor, and she used the alternate penname, Sally Malcolm. I've heard nothing but great stuff about it!

i know that i really enjoyed it. i can't wait for part 2 to come out

wraith816
February 15th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Eeek! Too many to list! I read *a lot* of slashfic and I have so many favorites writers:

Anais
Salieri
The Grrrl
Ximeria
Destina
Sideburns

Those are just the ones I can think of right now. :)

Gater_Gurl
June 1st, 2006, 10:31 AM
I really like Ruths fics. Her Big Brother Series was brilliant! Definitely read it if you haven't yet. :)

I agree. I loved her Big Brother Series.

AndreaB
June 1st, 2006, 07:20 PM
Very happy to see this thread -- so many good suggestions!

I seem to remember at one time surfing past a Stargate-centered crossover site. Does anyone know its address? For people who like crossovers, I have a couple Buffy-Stargate authors to recommend at tthfanfic.com: lyapunov, especially "The Magic of Wormholes," and, for people who enjoy humor, booster.

Gater_Gurl
June 3rd, 2006, 07:32 PM
Definately ShadowMaat. 'Lesser of Two' was an excellent fic.

Alipeeps
June 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM
For excellent Shep whump fic I highly recommend both Linnzi (http://www.fanfiction.net/u/882075/) and Kodiak Bear Country (http://www.fanfiction.net/u/599248/) - their fics can be found on ffnet.

Albion
June 4th, 2006, 09:04 AM
I'm adding another 'vote' for Sally Reeve. I'm just devastated that she seems to have moved on to other things and hasn't updated her website for months. <sob> If I had hard copy printouts of her stories they'd be dog-eared by now, given the number of times I've read them.

Do we have confirmation from Fandemonium, btw, that Sally Reeve and Sally Malcolm are one and the same? I've heard it said on the forum a time or two, but nothing official to say it's so. It would certainly explain a lot. Especially why MOH/COH are so wonderfully written and my favourites of all the Fandemonium novels so far.

Albion :)

CeeKay Sheppard
June 5th, 2006, 05:22 AM
I have to second Ali's recommendation of Linnzi, and add a few others:

For Sheppard whumping:
Titan5 (http://www.fanfiction.net/~titan5)
Alipeeps (http://www.fanfiction.net/~alipeeps)
Knocknashee (http://www.fanfiction.net/~knocknashee)

For Zelenka/Weir: Reefgirl (http://www.fanfiction.net/~reefgirl) (also, "Cigarettes, Whiskey, and Wild, Wild Women" is amazing!)

For Sheppard/Teyla:
The Puppeteer (http://www.fanfiction.net/~thepuppeteer)
OMGirl (http://www.fanfiction.net/~omgirl)
Tielan (http://www.fanfiction.net/~tielan)

Alipeeps
June 5th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Popping back in to recommend Sholio (http://www.fanfiction.net/u/29228/) who writes some great whumpy fic - I can highly recommend in particular her latest, almost complete, story Running on Empty (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2929045/1/) which is quite simply one of the best fanfics I have read of late.

Commander Ivanova
June 9th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Kalimyre, Devra and Lady Grey for Jack/Daniel slash.

g8tr
July 2nd, 2006, 07:40 AM
My very favorites have already been mentioned, but one author I also love to read is Ozkaren, who wrote the "Medical Considerations" series, which are episode tags told from Janet's point of view. Does anybody know if she's still writing, and where those stories may be posted? For those of us who are missing Janet....

Skydiver
July 2nd, 2006, 07:58 AM
i think ozkaren stopped writing several y ears ago i'm afraid

immhotep
July 2nd, 2006, 09:07 AM
Alex rubit, for Horizon breaking the mold andpaving the way for everyone else.

Arctic Goddess
July 2nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
Alex rubit, for Horizon breaking the mold andpaving the way for everyone else.

Absolutely agree with Immhoteps suggestion.

Alex Rubit is one of a kind.

Silverstar
July 21st, 2006, 02:16 PM
There are quite a lot of great authors out there, but one who hasn't been mentioned yet is Neuropsych (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=3&id=37194&type=0). Her Campers!-Series is really great!

I'd like to check out some of your recommendations, but where do I find them? I know there are more archives out there than ff.net, but so far I only know that and Heliopolis...

Supreme Commander Sil
August 4th, 2006, 05:50 AM
I find that www.nottasha.com has some good fanfic for Stargate.....but the stories are heaps long.