This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 8 DVDs - No commentaries?

Was just idly trawling around Amazon, when I came across the first S8 DVD volume and was devastated to read in the review for it from a buyer that it contains no audio commentaries.

Aside from the obvious advantage of having pristine copies of the episodes, I really look forward to the commentaries each year when I buy the boxed set and I'm hugely disappointed to read that this year we aren't getting any, after so many years of having these to enjoy.

Why now? Anyone know?

Albion
    Last edited by Albion; 25 March 2005, 03:22 AM.
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Hmmm... As I don't own the Season 8 set yet, (I'm in the US. Season 8 wraps up tomorrow). That seems odd. I'm hoping the commentaries are there for the Region 1 set. But I guess I'll just have to wait until the Region 1 set comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
      Hmmm... As I don't own the Season 8 set yet, (I'm in the US. Season 8 wraps up tomorrow). That seems odd. I'm hoping the commentaries are there for the Region 1 set. But I guess I'll just have to wait until the Region 1 set comes out.
      I'm beyond hoping... Beyond hoping here... I'm really begging, pleading, praying that they do. How many of the DVDs were released in that region where the buyer mentioned that? Because I can't imagine why they would decide not to have audio commentary.

Then again, this is coming from someone who looks forward to audio commentary in every DVD she buys, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
        Was just idly trawling around Amazon, when I came across the first S8 DVD volume and was devasted to read in the review for it from a buyer that it contains no audio commentaries.
        (
        Say it ain't so! Maybe the boxed set will have them? Please!

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
          I'm beyond hoping... Beyond hoping here... I'm really begging, pleading, praying that they do. How many of the DVDs were released in that region where the buyer mentioned that? Because I can't imagine why they would decide not to have audio commentary.

Then again, this is coming from someone who looks forward to audio commentary in every DVD she buys, so...
          Season 8 is out for region 2, I believe. I've read on some threads here at GW that different region sets for SG-1 seasons have different features and stuff. Maybe the Region 1 set will have the commentaries. (Nothing against you guys who got stuck with Region 2 or anything, )

Comment

Some commentaries have been done. I think Gary Jones was involved. Can't remember which eps.

Madeleine

Comment

I actually found a thread on this one after posting this. It's currently on page 3 of the General Discussion folder, if anyone's interested in checking it out.

Seems to be right and looks as though the reason is that we SG1 fans are getting dumped on and less product for our money because they're promoting Atlantis. David Hewlett has apparently indicated he's recorded commentary for those disks.

Madelaine, I was wondering if it's a case of no commentaries at all or that they've reduced them to just a few episodes for S8. If you're right, would seem to be the latter, which is something I guess. Not great, but better than nothing. Although still slightly ticked that we SG1 fans are being treated as 'second class citizens' in favour of Atlantis fans. It's all very well promoting your new show. But doing it at the expense of the loyal fans who've supported you all these years really sucks.

I suppose Gary could have recorded a commentary for Atlantis though - wasn't he in a couple of episodes? (I gave up watching Atlantis a long time since and so Atlantis commentaries aren't going to be much of a consolation prize for me. Not even likely to buy the disks).

Guess we'll just have to wait and see and hope that we get some commentaries at least. For the moment, all we know for sure is that the first R2 disk released contains no commentaries.

I do think it might be worth while for as many fans who are upset about this to email MGM and let them know that commentaries are important to a lot of us and for many of us make or break the decision to buy the disks. I'm sure they simply just don't realise that they are important to us and think we won't even notice.

It may be too late for S8 (although I guess there's a very, very slim chance that if we make enough fuss, they could have time to do S8 commentaries for the R1 release of the disks. I doubt it, but you never know) - but at least we could perhaps ensure that they don't make this a trend and that we get commentaries for S9. So I think it would be worth doing.

So email MGM today! <g>

Albion
              Last edited by Albion; 25 March 2005, 03:24 AM.
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                I was wondering if it's a case of no commentaries at all or that they've reduced them to just a few episodes for S8.
                I'm guessing there are just going to be a few commentaries. We've been so spoiled by having commentaries for EVERY episode since S4 --not many series do that.

I must have read the same report as Madeleine - Gary Jones said he was recording a commentary for Reckoning I&II as I recall. And of course I'd also read an interview with David Hewlett and he said he was recording some commentaries for a couple of the later S1 Atlantis episodes.

In the US all we get are the boxed sets so if there at least SOME episodes have commentaries I'll still buy it. I love the commentaries.

But if I was a UK buyer I certainly wouldn't be buying these single DVD's with NO commentaries at all. Unless the extra features were first rate. They should have spread out the commentaries so there was at least one episode commentary on each DVD.

I've been wondering if the pressures of producing two series means a lot of these people (Peter Deluise, etc.) just don't have the time to devote to commentaries anymore. I know it's on their free time.

Of course then I read in Joe's Q&A thread that the writers aren't being asked to do commentaries anymore (and he sounded a little miffed) so does that mean there are people who are willing to do commentaries and aren't being allowed to do them? That seems like a bad marketing ploy.

It may be too late for S8 (although I guess there's a very, very slim chance that if we make enough fuss, they could have time to do S8 commentaries for the R1 release of the disks. I doubt it, but you never know) - but at least we could perhaps ensure that they don't make this a trend and that we get commentaries for S9. So I think it would be worth doing.So email MGM today! <g>
                Yeah, I think it may be too late for the first half of S8. Don't know much about it - but I'd be surprised if they go back and put commentaries on the earlier S8 episodes that have already been released in R2.

Hey I'd also vote that we encourage them to go back and do some commentaries on a few S1-S3 episodes and then re-release special box sets for those. Farscape is doing it with their special "Starburst" series. That would be a hoot - and probably spur sales of those DVD sets all over again. MGM would like that.
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

This is a news item, how?

PS. gutted bout the lack of commentaries too

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
                  from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Its a news item as its news about no commentaries on the DVDs.

Comment

Hey I'd also vote that we encourage them to go back and do some commentaries on a few S1-S3 episodes and then re-release special box sets for those. Farscape is doing it with their special "Starburst" series. That would be a hoot - and probably spur sales of those DVD sets all over again. MGM would like that.
                      I'd been idly wondering if they might do this once SG1 ended. Didn't know other shows have set a precedent. It would certainly be cool and even though I already have those boxed sets, I'd certainly buy new editions if they had commentaries and/or other features on them.

As for people not having time to do SG1 commentaries because they're working on Atlantis commentaries - again that would seriously annoy me because why should the fans who've supported SG1 for all these years be dumped just because there's a new show out? It's like a smack in the face to all of us who've supported them year in, year out for so long.

And I really don't care who does commentaries, so long as they're informative and interesting. I'd actually like to see guest stars do them. It might be nice to hear how Alex Zahara felt working in all that latex. <g> I'm sure if they cared to do SG1 commentaries they could find people to do them.

Oh and <sigh>, you know I visit a lot of forums and this one has to have THE most anal people concerned about where people post things. To the point of nitpicking imo at points. Generally - and I say this as an admin and moderator of other forums I frequent - posting in the right folder is a very good thing. But sometimes forums can take it to extremes and sometimes - just sometimes - there do seem to be a lot of people here stressing about about it.

I posted this one here because there were several other threads already in this folder about DVDs and DVD releases. <shrug> So sue me.

Albion

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I suspect part of the lack of commentaries is a budgetary thing. I wouldn't be surprised that it costs to have the actors do commentaries - they just don't give their time away (as in the unions might squabble). The reason why you see zip on commentaries on old shows is that the studios might go back to the actor and say, hey, do a commentary for us, and they go sure, here's my fee schedule. Can you imaigne putting out Welcome BAck Kotter on DVD and asking John Travola to give away a free commentary?

MGM might also feel that the show itself sells the DVDs. Myself, have virtually all the DVDs but have yet to watch the commentaries as I have to make time just to watch the DVDs

Comment

Originally posted by prion
                          I suspect part of the lack of commentaries is a budgetary thing. I wouldn't be surprised that it costs to have the actors do commentaries - they just don't give their time away (as in the unions might squabble). The reason why you see zip on commentaries on old shows is that the studios might go back to the actor and say, hey, do a commentary for us, and they go sure, here's my fee schedule. Can you imaigne putting out Welcome BAck Kotter on DVD and asking John Travola to give away a free commentary?
                          I know Ben and Claudia and David Kemper and (I think) Rockne O'Bannon all got together last year and did additional commentaries on several of the early season Farscape episodes. Now they're being released again as "Starburst Special Editions". Or something like that. I've been thinking about getting them even though I've seen all those episodes. I'd certainly buy the early season Stargate DVD's again if they did some special commentaries - that's my favorite thing. But maybe I'm alone in my little corner on that one.

So the actors get paid for these? But the directors and people like James Tichenor don't? I know Jimmy T. mentioned in his blog that there was no compensation and that he did them on his free time. I guess I can see where they might have to pay some of the actors but it's not like they've moved on to be big stars in movies like John Travolta- they're still part of the show.

I wouldn't care if it was the actors anyway. I'd love to hear from Brad Wright and Martin Wood on some of the early episodes. Although it would be a hoot to hear AT and MS and CJ laugh at their "early years."
                          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I'd say that the writers/producers/director who were the ones that mainly contributed towards the DVD commentaries are the ones who would have the least ammount of time to spare to do a commentary. Brad Wright was the guy who was trying to help run 40 epiosdes a year. Amanda Tapping wasn't appearing in 40 episodes of Stargate.

I don't think it has anything to do with Atlantis getting all the attention. As far as I am concerned there is no commentary track on the Pilot DVD?

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
                            from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

I'm sorry but am I the only person who buys the DVDs to watch the episodes? Personally I dont like commentaries, I find them pointless.

Comment

Working...
                              X