• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astronomers Detect First Light From Alien Planets

From Yahoo News (maybe they've found the planet that Atlantis is on!):

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...s&sid=84439559

Astronomers Detect First Light From Alien Planets
    By John Johnson Times Staff Writer

Astronomers have for the first time measured the reflected light of planets outside our solar system, a breakthrough that could advance the search for habitable worlds in deep space.

Two teams of researchers announced their findings Tuesday about two Jupiter-sized planets 153 and 489 light-years from Earth.

The planets, designated HD 209458b and TrES-1, are in the constellations Pegasus and Lyra. They are closer to their stars than Mercury is to the sun, making them too hot to support life.

The findings, made using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, are the first direct observations of alien worlds.

"I feel we've been blind and have just been given sight," said Sara Seager of the Carnegie Institution, a member of one of the research teams.

The results will be published today in the online version of the journal Nature and in the June issue of the Astrophysical Review.

"Spitzer has provided us with a powerful new tool for learning about the temperatures, atmospheres and orbits of planets hundreds of light-years from Earth," said Drake Deming of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md.

The orbiting Spitzer telescope, launched in 2003, detects objects by measuring their infrared light — in essence, their heat.

"We've been hunting for this light for almost 10 years, ever since extrasolar planets were first discovered," said David Charbonneau of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, who led one team.

All 150 or so known extrasolar planets were discovered through indirect means, by measuring the telltale wobble in the rotation of their stars or by spotting a tiny wink in a star's light that occurs when a planet crosses in front of it. A third method involves measuring the bending of a star's light waves to reveal the size of a planet.

The two planets involved in the latest findings were also discovered indirectly. The breakthrough involves measuring the loss of heat and light when an orbiting planet disappears behind its star. By this means, the teams were able to calculate that the planets were being baked at temperatures as high as 1,574 degrees Fahrenheit.

Because of this overheating, the planets have been nicknamed "hot Jupiters."

Based on observations of the light spectrum, scientists also determined the star being orbited by HD 209458b was very much like Earth's sun. The star of TrES-1 is smaller and cooler. Both planets complete one orbit every three days.

So far, scientists have not found small, Earth-like planets capable of developing life. But some believe it's just a matter of time before they will be able to detect habitable worlds.

Coming into focus

Scientists have made the first direct observations of planets outside our solar system by measuring their infrared light. An artist's rendering shows a star and its planet in visible and infrared lights.

• When viewed in visible light, the star's brilliance overwhelms the light that is reflected by the planet.

• When viewed in infrared light, the star is less blinding and its planet perks up with a fiery glow.

Source: NASA/JPL

Los Angeles Times

Copyright © 2005 Los Angeles Times

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Very interesting.

Comment

Very very cool. Hopefully stuff like this helps find alien life one day. Very interesting about JUpiter sized planets close to the sun as well.

Comment

I read the news today very exciting
        "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

So we're not alone after all?

That's some interesting news, indeed!

Comment

I also read an article somewhere about a "Starless" Galaxy. Was it the Wraith? Was it the galaxy George Lucas came from with his galaxy's history textbook? Is that where all my socks end up?
            I wanna eat pie - Urgo
            Who doesn't? - O'Neilll
            Without the Queen, Canadians are just....Americans - Scott Thompson

Comment

Nothing is impossible! If you believe you can go to Neverland too!
              Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Comment

Working...
              X