This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspiration for the Planet Abydos?

I was just reading the latest issue of National Geographic and towards the end of the issue, I came upon a short article titled, "Abydos. Life and Death at the Dawn of Egyptian Civilization." (NG, April, 2005)

I did a double-take thinking they wrote an article relating to Stargate, since Abydos is the name of the planet they visit in the movie. I read the article. It's actually about an ancient city called Abydos.

So my question is this: When the writers of the original stargate movie were doing their research (if you can call it research) while writing the script, i'm sure they did some extensive knowledge digging in Egyptology (the study of ancient egypt). Is it possible to assume that when they came across information regarding the Ancient egyptian city of Abydos, they decided to use that name for the planet they would visit in the movie?

I just find it interesting coincidence that there is an Ancient egyptian city called "Abydos" and also a planet called Abydos. (Given the Stargate movie had plenty of references to the ancient civilization of Egypt).

Thoughts people?

There are already several threads on this. And yes, the planet is named after the city. In the novelization, the city that the Abydonians lived in was called Nagada, another ancient Egyptian city. Im surprised you posted such a question, its something I expected from a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
      I was just reading the latest issue of National Geographic and towards the end of the issue, I came upon a short article titled, "Abydos. Life and Death at the Dawn of Egyptian Civilization." (NG, April, 2005)

I did a double-take thinking they wrote an article relating to Stargate, since Abydos is the name of the planet they visit in the movie. I read the article. It's actually about an ancient city called Abydos.

So my question is this: When the writers of the original stargate movie were doing their research (if you can call it research) while writing the script, i'm sure they did some extensive knowledge digging in Egyptology (the study of ancient egypt). Is it possible to assume that when they came across information regarding the Ancient egyptian city of Abydos, they decided to use that name for the planet they would visit in the movie?

I just find it interesting coincidence that there is an Ancient egyptian city called "Abydos" and also a planet called Abydos. (Given the Stargate movie had plenty of references to the ancient civilization of Egypt).

Thoughts people?
      Great question dude. There was no name for the planet in the movie, but they named it Abydos in COTG, the pilot SG-1 episode.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
        Great question dude. There was no name for the planet in the movie, but they named it Abydos in COTG, the pilot SG-1 episode.
        Sure it wasnt given a name onscreen, but all the promos, posters, behind the scenes, the novel, games, toys, collectables, interviews called the planet Abydos and the city Nagada. Wright and Glassner kept Abydos and ditched Nagada for some reason.

Comment

Abydos was actualy the egyptian holy city of the Great God Osiris.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
            Abydos was actualy the egyptian holy city of the Great God Osiris.
            During Sha're's funeral, Daniel performs the ancient Egyptian rites. The god he refers to is none other than Osiris! Foreshadowing? Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
              You're right about that. I watched Stargate last night and found that they made no actual reference to the planet's name, just the galaxy. Something I never actually paid real close attention to, I guess.

Comment

What page is it on?

In my issue I got 2 extra maps.

Comment

Now this is interesting! I always thought they'd called the planet Abydos in the movie. Huh.

I bet the writers probally tried to model Egyptian culture as best as possible. When they investigated other cultures, they look remarkably similar to the cultures on Earth.

Before you judge a person, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, not only will you be a mile away, you'll have their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Chief Jack O Niell
                    What page is it on?

In my issue I got 2 extra maps.
                    If you're referring to the Article about Abydos, you'll find it near the back of the issue. I can't seem to find that issue right now, but I do know it's near the end of the issue.

Comment

It is pages 106-115

Comment

Working...
                      X