• Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA - Cinescape - Reviews "The Siege - Part One"

From Cinescape:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...&sub_id=270402

or

http://tinyurl.com/6lcjd

(Please follow one of the links for the complete review.)

STARGATE ATLANTIS: The Siege
    GRADE: D-
    Reviewed Format: TV Show
    Network: Sci-Fi Channel
    Cast: Joe Flannigan, Torri Higginson, Rainbow Sun Francks, Rachel Lutrell, and David Hewlett
    Creator: Brad Wright & Robert C. Cooper
    Writers: Martin Gero
    Director: Martin Wood

Television Review
    STARGATE ATLANTIS: The Siege
    Melodrama, technobabble, and enough cliches to fill a Wraith hiveship.

Dateline: Saturday, March 19, 2005

By: JASON DAVIS - Columnist

Continuing the threads from the preceding episodes, the Atlantis team is preparing for an invasion force of three Wraith hive ships. While a planet is sought for evacuation, Dr. McKay attempts to reactivate an ancient defense station near the Wraith attack route while Weir prepares to destroy the city to prevent it from falling into enemy hands. On the whole, these stories seem compelling enough to fill an episode with edge-of-the-seat excitement. Unfortunately, the plots are presented with predictable twists, comically overwrought performances, and enough technobabble to confuse the writing staff of a recent STAR TREK series.

**snippity doo-dah**

In the wake of a well-written bottle episode like "Letters from Pegasus", it's disappointing to see part one of a season finale squander a carefully built dam of tension in what amounts to a collection of dramatic cliches. This episode is the antithesis to STARGATE SG-1's daring take on the alternate-reality concept and airing after that spectacular episode does this one no favors. With a little luck, part two of "The Siege" will recover the promise of earlier installments in time for a grand finale, but it's going to take some work to recover from this fumble.

© 2001-2005 Mania Entertainment LLC

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

Fans of Joe Flanigan
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/fansofjoeflanigan/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Fumble? I found that "The Siege (Part 1)" was a really good episode! Also not very predictable... Except for any part with Sergent Bates.

And yes, Part 2 will make up for ANY fault they saw in Part 1.

Long live Atlantis!
    sigpic
    In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by morjana
      In the wake of a well-written bottle episode like "Letters from Pegasus", it's disappointing to see part one of a season finale squander a carefully built dam of tension in what amounts to a collection of dramatic cliches. This episode is the antithesis to STARGATE SG-1's daring take on the alternate-reality concept and airing after that spectacular episode does this one no favors. With a little luck, part two of "The Siege" will recover the promise of earlier installments in time for a grand finale, but it's going to take some work to recover from this fumble.
      Well I obviously enjoyed this episode more than the reviewer - I would have given it a B+ or A-. It certainly followed a certain formula in parts of the show but I thought it was executed well and there were enough twists to result in a very entertaining hour of scifi television. It certainly left me anxious to see Part II.

Of course they compare it to "Stargate SG-1's daring take on the alternate-reality concept" and call that a "spectacular episode". So I immediately went looking for the review for Moebius I and can't find one. Wonder if it will be posted later? Or did I miss it?

It seems strange they wouldn't review Moebius I since the writer obviously watched it and even mentions the episode in his Atlantis review.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Anyone who says that SG-A's finale (part one) was a 'fumble', while at the same time calls SG-1's finale (part one) 'spectacular', obviously has no taste whatsoever.

I think he got his words the wrong way round.

Comment

*scratches head*

Did the reviewer watch the same episode I watched?

I thought this was an excellent episode. Not a "fumble" at all.
          sigpic

Comment

It was alright, the review was a bit harsh. Part 2 is way better.

Moebius on the other hand is ONE HELLUVA fumble.

Comment

Originally posted by Pknuts
              It was alright, the review was a bit harsh. Part 2 is way better.

Moebius on the other hand is ONE HELLUVA fumble.
              I agree part two was a lot better then part 1 but I still think it was put together very well.
              "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

I like cliches. I think a lot of other people do, too... or else the Goa'uld would not be popular at all. =)

Comment

I loved this ep! BOOO! Oh well!

Way better then Mobius.
                  "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

I'd give this episode a B+

I'd give Siege pt. 2 the D-, if ever. (WAY too many cliches to my taste. There IS a limit, and the writers have tested mine)

Heh, I love living in Canada, I've seen the end of Season 1 of SGA already, but I'm still looking forward to the end of Season 8 of SG-1.
                    Enter my game site...

Comment

It has been noticing (or watching) that when the critics downgrade a movie or show, the more people will watch it. And usually it is more popular. So, maybe this is a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                        It has been noticing (or watching) that when the critics downgrade a movie or show, the more people will watch it. And usually it is more popular. So, maybe this is a good sign.
                        Yeah, you have a point.

Although, if they slam Siege Pt. 2 (just as I did) then there's a problem here. I just hope Siege Pt. 3 is going to be good.
                        Enter my game site...

Comment

I'm not surprised at their review...they are typical critics...critics never know what's good anyway. That's why most people don't go by their reviews.

I loved the episode.
                          It feels good to be alive.
                          Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

It seemed to me that the reviewer was spot on. As a follower of the Stargate franchise from the beginning, I feel that both SG-1 and Atlantis suffered critical "fumbles" in their respective season finales.

I think that Moebius would have been better put in slots 16 and 17 of the season, and allowed the show to go out with Threads.

In all fairness, Moebius was much more original than The Siege. But, it was not as entertaining. I think that the comparison makes a good example of the difference between the shows. I believe that SG-1 will continue to be a test ground for new ideas, and continue to poke fun at the genre. Whereas Atlantis will continue to be a conglomeration of SciFi cliches. Not that I am saying that there is anything wrong with that. They are just different methodologies.

Comment

I quite liked this episode as well. Oh well, to each their own, I'll enjoy it and he can go eat his crow sandwich.

Jaffa, KREE!

Comment

Working...
                              X