This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very theoretical "What if...?"

Just throwing out an idea for discussion I thought of while doing this and that.

Okay, you have to go with three conditions here. You may or may not agree that these are ever achievable in the Atlantis universe, but as I noted in the subject, this is simply a hypothetical. So go with me here on this. The three conditions are:

(1) Atlantis survives the Wraith siege.

(2) An Atlantis away team finds, somewhere offworld, a huge number of charged ZPMs. They have nearly infinite power.

(3) McKay and all the scientists of Atlantis become very skilled with the Ancient's technology. Almost all the Ancients can do, we can do pretty well.

Would you, if you were Weir, consider flying Atlantis back to Earth and plopping it down in the middle of the ocean?

(Sidebar: I guess Atlantis could sit on a land mass too, but since it's been doing pretty well as an ocean-based city, let's keep the ocean scenario.)

I'd like to hear what you guys have to say and then I'll give my answer.
    ~*~*~*~*~*
    not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

That would be cool.

Umm, I can't see what exactly the point would be in brining Atlantis back to the Milky Way, wouldn't really be necessary, and if we did, i DEFINETLY would bring it to Earth. Security issues would be huge. Keep it off somewhere, make it the new Alpha Site

I would think though Weir probally would have it brought back to the MW galaxy if things with the Wraith weren't exactly going super

Before you judge a person, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, not only will you be a mile away, you'll have their shoes.

Comment

Why not return it to its home? Land it in the antarctic and attach it to the atlantus outpost again. Assuming they decided to bring the thing back.

Comment

As a SERIES finale? Maybe. Only after an SG-1 series finale has already aired.

As anything else? Boy, it sure would lead to a boring series very quickly, now, woulnd't it?

It would also make the things that keep SG-1 and Atlantis "separate" series (which is kinda key if you want them both to be on the air) rather difficult.

So all in all, great idea to wrap things up. Bad idea for anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
          Just throwing out an idea for discussion I thought of while doing this and that.

Okay, you have to go with three conditions here. You may or may not agree that these are ever achievable in the Atlantis universe, but as I noted in the subject, this is simply a hypothetical. So go with me here on this. The three conditions are:

(1) Atlantis survives the Wraith siege.

(2) An Atlantis away team finds, somewhere offworld, a huge number of charged ZPMs. They have nearly infinite power.

(3) McKay and all the scientists of Atlantis become very skilled with the Ancient's technology. Almost all the Ancients can do, we can do pretty well.

Would you, if you were Weir, consider flying Atlantis back to Earth and plopping it down in the middle of the ocean?

(Sidebar: I guess Atlantis could sit on a land mass too, but since it's been doing pretty well as an ocean-based city, let's keep the ocean scenario.)

I'd like to hear what you guys have to say and then I'll give my answer.
          Very interesting.

The only consideration i would have in getting Atlantis to earth is how long it's going to take to get there. Here's why:

First, (acting as Weir) I would need to determine the capabilities of the systems responsible for moving Atlantis. Some sort of hyperdrive would be required to move the city across space in a timely manner.

Second, could the city handle the stresses of travelling through space at hyperdrive speeds for extended periods of time. There's no point in trying to move the city if it won't survive the trip. (But this point is pretty much moot, since it has been determined that Atlantis indeed has travelled through space - but it's still a consideration i would make).

Third, enough supplies would need to be procured locally (unless we use Stasis chambers or something) to support the population for the trip.

But given the conditions quoted above, I would certainly think that flying Atlantis to earth would be a cool idea.

Comment

if they did fly it back as a series ender it wouldent matter about all that stuff. but to make it cool they should have it being attacked by the orii or what ever evilness they have for the final seasons of each.
            "have you ever felt that feeling like your going to fall apart, that is the best feeling on earth" -I siad that after a very greuling game of football in which i sprained my ankle and make 20 tackles

Comment

Keep in mind if you put Atlantis on Earth you're going to have issues with gate-travel. Obviously the Atlantis gate would take precedence no matter what as long as it is turned on, and if you notice, it is not like you can detach that gate. It's like etched into the floor of Atlantis. So now you have Atlantis on Earth and you can't use the SGC? Or you're on Atlantis and you can't use its gate because the SGC needs gate travel? Obviously this wouldn't work well at all now would it? In fact you could not even bring Atlantis to our Solar System because it would screw up the gate travel! And, isn't that the point for Stargate? Using one? Hmm... Nope, don't think you'll ever see Atlantis on Earth for that very reason. Remember, the Stargate will still be in the SGC compound in the distant future thanks to the clue from Cassandra sometime around 2050 to 2060 from the episode 1969... That alone will tell you that Atlantis probably will not leave Pegasus. It may come to the Milky Way; however, it will likely be for only some type of dire emergency or brief expedition.

Although, this does not mean they will not get it to full power and leave the planet and take the city everywhere in Pegasus or possibly even the Asgard Galaxy... or even another Galaxy we have not heard of yet! Atlantis and it's new residents are bound to meet new life and new civilization... new races both friend and foe. It's very likely that we will see all kinds of action including Atlantis space travel
              Sorry Ori, I was born okay the first time.

Comment

Actually, in that future, Cassandra notes that the gate is essentially unused at that time. Which in and of itself is interesting.. is humanity now isolationist? Have they "replaced" the Gate with something more advanced?

But back to topic. If humanity has at its disposal a city sized intergalactic starship, do you ACTUALLY think they'd keep it earthbound for any significant period of time? The only reason you park a spaceship on (or under) the ocean is to hide, or because your batteries are dead.

If you've got your batteries recharged, then it is "Space. The final frontier" time, baby!

Comment

I'd fly around in Pegasus and exterminate the Wraith. They wouldn't exactly be able to touch me with the shield

Comment

Interesting point. Is Atlantis a Warship?

Comment

Technically yes. the Warship to end all Warships. It has viable hyperdrive technology and a great shield and kick butt weapons.

Before you judge a person, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, not only will you be a mile away, you'll have their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by GEWbert
                        Technically yes. the Warship to end all Warships. It has viable hyperdrive technology and a great shield and kick butt weapons.
                        I could see them flying atlantis to earth to help defend the planet from whatever big bad we have next season. But after that? Personally i think atlantis would make an excellent space ship for exploring wherever there aren't stargates, to look for new technology, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly... sorry

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

What about the Atlantis team keeps up the work from the Ancients?
                          They fly arround with Atlantis and spread life in other Galaxys o_O.

Or they fly back to earth attach at the outpost and build more city ship ^^

Comment

Originally posted by GEWbert
                            Before we go crazy about flying around in a huge city killing the wraith think of this. Do you know how fast you would run out of power? Even with 3 ZPM's between weapons,shields,and enough power to make a city the size of manhattan move at a decent speed and be manueverable in combat. No its not possible it would be a HUGE target. It would be so much of a joke the Goa'uld could destroy it. lol

Comment

2 things.

1) Big, huge, impentrable shield. I doubt the Goa'uld could penetrate it if the Wraith couldn't

2) One of the things to be assumed in this thread is unlimted ZPM's

Comment

Working...
                              X