X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GateWorld FanFic - Ratings Change

Howdy, fanfic authors and readers!

We'd like to let you know about a change that has been made at GateWorld FanFic, retroactive throughout the entire archive of 3,300+ stories. We've modified the ratings system as follows:
    (Stories formerly rated = Are now rated)
    G = All Ages
    PG = Older Kids
    PG-13 = Teens
    R = Mature
    Please make a note of the new equivalent ratings when searching the archive for stories and when uploading new work.

Why the change? The Motion Picture Association of America apparently has trademarked the classic "G," "PG," "PG-13," "R," and "NC-17" ratings, and in recent weeks has been enforcing this by sending cease and desist letters to fan fiction archives and authors. We've made this change preemptively to avoid such a confrontation.

Thanks for making GateWorld FanFic what it is today!

Darren

I can also say, if anyone wants to use these ratings on their sites, i doubt Darren would mind.

Since the old MPAA was the 'industry standard' for fic, now that needs to change. If we can come up with some sort of standard of our own, then that will make things easier for all readers/writers to know exactly what they're getting into
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

that is verry usefull thanks for the info
      sigpic

Comment

Bah, the MPAA is silly.

I thought they would just be happy that people were using the ratings.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
        Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

While I applaud your foresight to make changes to your fanfiction ratings, I would like to ask a few questions.

1) Did you base your change on an actual instance of seeing a newsarticle about the mpaa ratings?

2) Did you research this via the MPAA site? or similar newspages?
          3) If you did do research, could you supply the site that you received your information from? either in this forum, or privately to me?

Thanks
          gelf

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
            Bah, the MPAA is silly.

I thought they would just be happy that people were using the ratings.
            you would think. however it comes down to this. the mpaa is a voluntary system. movies do not have to be rated. however the majority of the movie screens in this country belong to the national association of theater owners, and they have a rule/have promised/have to air only movies that either are rated by the mpaa or have those ratings in place.

So if you make a film and do not let the mpaa rate it, then you are barred from over 36,000 screens across the country. No one sees your film, you don't make anymoney off it, your backers don't make any money off it and it's a losing proposition.

if thier trademarked letters become common use, such as Kleenex, Xerox, etc. then anyone can use it which means that anyone can rate a film and have it shown in the NATO theaters

that's what they're trying to prevent and they're serious enough about it that Dan Glickman, the pres of the MPAA has over 70% of his staff devoted to doing just this -- in addition to tracking down piracy of motion pictures.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X