PDA

View Full Version : Will Atlantis outshine SG1 Season Eight?

Jonas
May 26th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Is anybody else thinking/concered that Atlantis season one will outshine/outdo SG1 season eight? I can't help but think that it will, judging by what I've read and the new pics from "Rising". It seems like all the creators efforts are going into Atlantis. I've also seen it happen before with a spin-off show in the case of Buffy and Angel. Angel's season 3 and season 4, were much better then Buffy's season 6 & 7.

Mr Prophet
May 26th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Angel's season 3 and season 4, were much better then Buffy's season 6 & 7.

You want to step outside for a minute?

I mean, seriously; 3/6 I'll maybe give you, but Season 7 made Season 4 of Angel look mimsy. Even when a power-that-was walked the streets of LA, Angel's still felt like the 'also-ran' apocalypse.

Elwe Singollo
May 26th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Although i enjoyed Angel's seasons 3/4, I think Buffy's seasons 6/7 was generally still always better than Angel, although Angel did have more dramatic scenes which i thought were much better. I think Season 8 of Stargate will not be outshined by Atlantis.

Flyboy
May 27th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Buffy 7 was great, but come on! Season 6 sucked. The baddies were three geeks! Thats aawful!

Lord Loz
May 27th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Buffy 7 was great, but come on! Season 6 sucked. The baddies were three geeks! Thats aawful!

Have you ever defeated 3 geeks trying to take over the world? Im sure its harder than it sounds :D

TST
May 27th, 2004, 03:29 AM
I don't know.
On the one hand, you don't want Atlantis completely outshining season eight, as SG-1 rating would probably suffer because of it.
However, on the other hand you don't want season 8 outshining Atlantis, as then people wouldn't watch Atlantis and the show would crash and burn, which we don't want to happen.
So they'll probably be around equal, maybe Atlantis slightly better as it's getting off the ground and more attention is devoted to it.

ShadowMaat
May 27th, 2004, 03:37 AM
I think that Atlantis is hobbled from the start. I don't think it stands a prayer of "outshining" SG-1... unless S8 is so appallingly bad that it drives fans away. Of course, if people hate S8 it's a question mark whether or not they'll like Atlantis since the same writers will be pulling the same stupid stunts on both shows.

Atlantis will probably be treated like the ugly red-headed stepchild, especially if SG-1 goes on for another season.

Failing that, I think the writers have pretty much proven they're out of ideas, so starting off a whole "new" show when you've forgotten how to write quality stories, well... It ain't gonna be pretty.

I hope against hope that Atlantis will be allowed to thrive, but after the frustrations of S6 and the near-constant disappointments of S7, I don't think there's much hope of that.

Gods forbid they should actually hire new writers to help...

Bagpuss
May 27th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Hopefully both series will thrive,but I tend to share some of Shadow's views about the potential of staleness from the writing/production teams.

Good Luck to both Shows,anyway. :)

Mr Prophet
May 27th, 2004, 05:05 AM
I found Season 6 of Buffy - like Season 4 - to be better on a second viewing. Season 6 of Stargate held up well enough on DVD; except for Full Circle, which just gets worse.

Odens återkomst
May 27th, 2004, 05:36 AM
It is up to the writers and producers, and the chemistry between the actors.

Jelmer
May 27th, 2004, 05:51 AM
I doubt very much that "all the creators efforts are going into Atlantis", I do think though that there's a bit of extra effort going into Atlantis - which is only logical as Atlantis is a whole new series with new characters, while SG-1 has 7 seasons of fleshing out behind it and doesn't need much more than a road map and new scripts.

I also think it's impossible to compare the first season of a new series to the 8th (!!!) of an existing series. The first season is always partially finding its feet and almost always involves a bit of stumbling (think of "Emancipition" from SG-1's first season), but at the same time it's all new and exciting. While an 8th season is stable in its characters, storylines and such, but also gets a bit "boring" because it's lost its newness. That last part takes a lot to overcome, but even if they don't entirely overcome it they still make very enjoyable episodes. I personnally found the whole of season 7 very enjoyable, the problem was that some episodes felt a bit done-before ("Revisions" for example) and I was hoping for more episodes about the bigger Goa'uld/Anubis storyline.

So no I'm not worried, if they manage to make season 1 of Atlantis better than season 8 of SG-1 I think that's a good sign for the future of Atlantis - but I still think it's uncomparable.

Wass
May 27th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Well I think both series will do well because SG-1 already has a big following, Atlantis looks very good from what I have read and seen. Specially the new wraith pic on gateworld. I think it would be unfair to suggest that TPTB are putting all the effort into Atlantis and in doing so ignoring the SG-1, of course they want Atlantis to be successful so they will put extra work into it but that does not mean they won’t put any “creators efforts” into SG-1.

Overall I think both series should be judged on there on merit rather then comparing it each other or any other series. To answer the original question I don’t think Atlantis will out shine SG-1 or the other way round.

Anubis
May 27th, 2004, 09:52 AM
I don't think Atlantis will 'overtake' Stargate straight away, I think the first season will have to be constructed very well in order for this to happen

However, I do think that Atlantis will get some great ratings

They call me Tim
May 27th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Off the topic a little...First, I think that they will be about the same...but they are quite different...S8 is going to be a another part in an ongoing story, which I liked S8 overall, where Atlantis has to not only suffer the "get off your feet" of a new show but even the needed basic explanation stuff of a new show...they will touch on basic gate stuff and basic...this is our new galaxy stuff...it will get better and eventually kind of run itself...I think that people are being too hard on SG-1...I think alot of what made S7 feel a little odd is that they didnt plan for it...They thought that S6 was it and then...oh, we got another season okay what do we do...this year will be better because they did have an idea that it was coming...and the off topic part....I think or hope that they do more "discovery of the past stuff"...I really liked the one where Daniel finds the fossils of old snakes...finding out the history of the Goa'ulds rise to power might be cool and I hope that they do it...anyway just rambling because I dont want to get back to work :D

petzke_42
May 27th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Everybody should tune into both. Just because.

Bast
May 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Id be more concerned with Atlantis being a flop, Like Highlander the raven.

Chaka
May 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Think about it, the bulk of people watching Atlantis will be people that already like SG-1. I think that people won't decide over which is better and just watch both.

Elwe Singollo
May 27th, 2004, 01:24 PM
I agree, the majority of SG-1 viewers will probably watch Atlantis as well. Although i do think SG-1's cast members do look and act better than the Atlantis cast (i've seen some of the Atlantis cast in some other movies/tv)...

I can't wait for both shows to premiere this July.

the_fours
May 28th, 2004, 06:54 AM
atlantis is new and fresh so im kinda hoping it does outshine s8, sg-1 is closing down (i think its hard to tell sometimes) so i think if atlantis hits the audience with the right impact there wont be a problem

sshspooky
May 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM
2 points here.

firstly, i wouldn't be surprised if Atlantis outshines SG-1 this eyar due to all the new stuff, new enemies, new everything that will be introduced, and that newness will be what puts it on top. however, SG-1 will still be great and i think it's gonna be an exiting year, but you just can't say that you are more excited for SG-1s 8th season of the same format great quality episodes, then for something totally new and interesting.

second, on the Buffy 6/7 V Angel 3/4, i don't think you can compare them as they are totally different. Angel was great because seasons 3 and 4 of Angel told an epic story that brought the whole series and everything that had happened together, while Buffy 6 and 7 was good because season 6 was griity, and different, with the big bad being life itself and living in this world, while season 7 was buffy back to it's roots, with a high school, load of potentials, Dawn becoming likeable and a vampire with a soul around. They are both great for different reasons and they were both on a high.

spook

Apepi
May 28th, 2004, 11:43 AM
I have to give a big thumbs up to MR PROPHET his first reply to that sorry post by Jonas.You have just made me laugh,KEL SHEK Mr Prophet

Elwe Singollo
May 28th, 2004, 12:33 PM
See, thats what made Joss Whedon/writers co of BtVS/Angel such great shows, because both was great at the sametime, occasionally one show being better than the other, and vice versa. And yes, i also will not be suprised if Atlantis does outshine SG-1 because of its new'ness and such.

flynn1959
May 28th, 2004, 01:36 PM
No never.

I for one will not watch the new show.

I might like it, might fall in love with the characters only to watch as T.P.T.B destroy it the way they have Stargate . I dont want to put myself through that again its too much .
I will only be watching season eight because I still love and respect the chatacters of Daniel and Teal'c.
I will record the shows and F/F past the Sam and Jack bits, dont give a toss about them anymore.Super Sam/ love struck Sam and dumb Jack are CRAP.

Teal'c
May 28th, 2004, 02:29 PM
No never.

I for one will not watch the new show.

I might like it, might fall in love with the characters only to watch as T.P.T.B destroy it the way they have Stargate . I dont want to put myself through that again its too much .
I will only be watching season eight because I still love and respect the chatacters of Daniel and Teal'c.
I will record the shows and F/F past the Sam and Jack bits, dont give a toss about them anymore.Super Sam/ love struck Sam and dumb Jack are CRAP.
If you don't stop making such negative posts, I'm going to eat you...

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2004, 02:30 PM
If you don't stop making such negative posts, I'm going to eat you...
Shhhh. It's always nice to find someone who makes me look good. ;)

Teal'c
May 28th, 2004, 02:33 PM
But you're an asset to the community, despite your stance against the PTB... this guy though :P

Elwe Singollo
May 28th, 2004, 02:35 PM
i'm an 'open' person, i'm open to many things, well not 'many', but you know what i mean, even if S:A doesn't seem to interest me, i'll still watch to see if it'll improve. And hmm... 'negativity', its hurting my head...

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2004, 03:26 PM
i'm an 'open' person, i'm open to many things, well not 'many', but you know what i mean, even if S:A doesn't seem to interest me, i'll still watch to see if it'll improve. And hmm... 'negativity', its hurting my head...
Atlantis will tank.
Atlantis will tank.
Atlantis will tank.

How's your head? :P

Nolamom
May 28th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Now you're just being cruel Shadow. Poor fellow already has a headache and you offer him a HAMMER!!!!

I like the idea of Atlantis and will watch with an open mind.
Nmom

Bagpuss
May 28th, 2004, 04:14 PM

LOL! You'll probably make Flynn's acquaintance soon on certain other Threads.

IMO,you may have found your match.

I redirected him/her to those areas from the Pete/Jack Thread. Enjoy! ;)

*Runs away very,very quickly!*

Elwe Singollo
May 28th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Atlantis will tank.
Atlantis will tank.
Atlantis will tank.

How's your head? :PI just got out of surgery ;) , but that kind of negativity may not be negative to some peopoe... :)

zebrok
May 28th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Is anybody else thinking/concered that Atlantis season one will outshine/outdo SG1 season eight? I can't help but think that it will, judging by what I've read and the new pics from "Rising". It seems like all the creators efforts are going into Atlantis. I've also seen it happen before with a spin-off show in the case of Buffy and Angel. Angel's season 3 and season 4, were much better then Buffy's season 6 & 7.

Until I read your post, the thought never even crossed my mind. Since Atlantis can only be judged on potential then yes it is possible it could outshine SG-1 since it is starting with a fresh, blank slate. While it is possible, I kinda doubt it is probable that Atlantis will outshine SG-1.
SG-1's slate , while neither fresh nor clean, is full of a rich history upon which the new season will be applying it's own refined touches and it will be hard for Atlantis to compete with that scope.

I am more afraid that Atlantis will fail than I am dreaming that it has the possibility of outshining SG-1 in the hearts of fans. I fear that people will watch out of curiosity and then tune out becuase it is different than SG-1. Fans so in love with SG-1 might not welcome another team that is portrayed as being equally significant as *their* team from SG-1. Besides, the whole makeup of the Atlantis base and team are in response to the USAF being in control of the SGC and how that is seen as negative. Atlantis will/should be different in philosophy as well as in cast and locale. Due to that different philosophy are we going to hear from time to time the line "Hey, this isn't the SGC, we dont do things that way here". Fans of SG-1 may not like that idea. It may seem to some as belittling the SGC.

I for one am looking forward to the juxtaposition of two different takes on the potential of gate travel and all that it entails every friday night but I dont know if it is everyones cup o'tea. Then again, I may end up being the one that's dissapointed if it is just SG-1 with new faces and locations.

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2004, 06:43 PM
I am more afraid that Atlantis will fail than I am dreaming that it has the possibility of outshining SG-1 in the hearts of fans. I fear that people will watch out of curiosity and then tune out becuase it is different than SG-1.
I've lost track of the number of people I've seen say that they'll watch the pilot ep because it has Jack and Daniel in it, but they won't watch the rest of it because, "It isn't SG-1" or "It doesn't have Jack/Daniel in it". It's a very sad way of thinking, in my opinion, but it still happens. *shrug*

Guess we'll have to wait and see what the numbers have to say. ;)

Bast
May 28th, 2004, 06:45 PM
I fear Atlantis is the stargate equalivent to startrek Voyager.Its the same universe but outside the formiliar things that we liked about it.

Elwe Singollo
May 28th, 2004, 06:56 PM
"It isn't SG-1" or "It doesn't have Jack/Daniel in it". It's a very sad way of thinking, in my opinion, but it still happens. *shrug*
Well, i'm not part of that group of people, even though i'm not 'fond' of SG: Atlantis 'YET', i need to watch it first :), even if i don't like the show as much as SG1, i'll still probably enjoy it :)

petzke_42
May 28th, 2004, 08:48 PM
I've lost track of the number of people I've seen say that they'll watch the pilot ep because it has Jack and Daniel in it, but they won't watch the rest of it because, "It isn't SG-1" or "It doesn't have Jack/Daniel in it". It's a very sad way of thinking, in my opinion, but it still happens. *shrug*

Guess we'll have to wait and see what the numbers have to say. ;)

Any sadder than "It's not how SG-1 used to be!?"...haha, just giving you a hard time...

ShadowMaat
May 28th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Any sadder than "It's not how SG-1 used to be!?"...haha, just giving you a hard time...
Ah, but the thing is, I'm comparing SG-1 to SG-1 whereas they're comparing Atlantis to SG-1 sight unseen and determining that Atlantis sucks because it isn't SG-1. Newsflash: it isn't supposed to be! :P Now, SG-1 is SUPPOSED to be SG-1, but it isn't. THAT, I feel, is a problem. :P

Elwe Singollo
May 28th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Well in my opinion, SG1 is still good, in any form. How can people really judge SG Atlantis when it hasn't aired yet?

petzke_42
May 29th, 2004, 12:08 AM
I suppose the same way certain people judge season 8 without it even airing...:P

Elwe Singollo
May 29th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Oh yes, 'spoilers'.

flynn1959
May 29th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Here's a positive post ...
I just love blue aliens always have ever since Startrek circa 1970.

I just love the thought of Atlantis as a lost civilisation here on Earth.

I love Daniel, Jack, Teal'c and Sam when she is Sam and am looking forward to season eight .

I know this bit isnt positive but I dont think Atlantis will outshine season eight of SG1 from all the spoilers/pictures I have seen it doesnt grab me at all if that makes any sense.

ShadowMaat
May 29th, 2004, 06:39 AM
I don't know why, but every time I see that Wraith with the cheesecloth over its head it reminds me of Zhaan on Farscape. I think she had a face covering at some point, too. Momentarily.

Atlantis does not, in my opinion, stand a chance of ever outshining SG-1. It has too many strikes against it going into the game and I'm not confident in TPTB's abilities to overcome those strikes. I do, however, hope that it will at least survive. McKay on weekly TV has to be a good thing. ;)

Elwe Singollo
May 29th, 2004, 08:37 AM
So sad they dumped the 'jonas on tv weekly' idea.

Positively Kanyon
May 31st, 2004, 03:04 AM
I think Atlantis has the potential to be Stargate's answer to "Next Generation" where on Star Trek, the spin-off is considered (by most, I'm not a Trek expert) the best of the series.

After seeing the latest trailer... It's looking very good!

Elwe Singollo
May 31st, 2004, 07:39 AM
Of course its looking good, if it didn't, i don't think people would be too 'keen' of watching the show. The difference between this spin-off and Star Trek's, Stargate didn't have to have a movie to get a chance to make another tv show, where the first star trek show died in the first season, but got another chance once the star trek movie did good.

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 08:32 AM
Gods forbid they should actually hire new writers to help...
Uh... Aren't they doing exactly that? :)

As for Atlantis outshining SG-1: Yes it will, in the sense that SciFi will probably promote the hell out of it. They've already started, haven't they?

But quality-wise? That's anyones guess. Certainly, it won't be as good as SG-1 right away. We need to give it some time to get on its feet. SG-1 had some utter crap in the beginning, Atlantis should be given a fair chance to get that out of the way, too. Sadly, I fear that once the series has just started we'll get a lot of "Atlantis sucks!" posts around here from people who expect it to be the best thing since sliced bread right from the very first moment.

Fact is, we won't really know how Atlantis compares to SG-1 for at least a couple of years yet.

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 09:15 AM
Uh... Aren't they doing exactly that? :)
Yeah, will wonders never cease? Of course, the question then becomes, will they let the newbies write the way they want to, or will they be heavily modded, so to speak?

I'd still like to know what Corin's original storyline for Fallout was like, and what ideas of his were "rejected" before TPTB finally accepted one.

Elwe Singollo
May 31st, 2004, 09:20 AM
I'd still like to know what Corin's original storyline for Fallout was like, and what ideas of his were "rejected" before TPTB finally accepted one.What makes you think they rejected any of his ideas? Not saying they didn't, because i do agree with you that they may have turn down some of his ideas, but i'm just being a drpepper attic and being a curious george :)

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 09:23 AM
What makes you think they rejected any of his ideas? Not saying they didn't, because i do agree with you that they may have turn down some of his ideas, but i'm just being a drpepper attic and being a curious george :)
I dunno. I think I got it from something he said in an interview or a con. It's perfectly natural, anyway, to have to go through several ideas before hitting on the "right" one- even the almighty PTB do that. I just wanna know if Fallout really was the right one or if that's all that Corin was permitted. I'm a bit biased and cynical about the whole Corin/PTB issue, in case you hadn't noticed. ;)

Elwe Singollo
May 31st, 2004, 09:26 AM
I dunno. I think I got it from something he said in an interview or a con. It's perfectly natural, anyway, to have to go through several ideas before hitting on the "right" one- even the almighty PTB do that. I just wanna know if Fallout really was the right one or if that's all that Corin was permitted. I'm a bit biased and cynical about the whole Corin/PTB issue, in case you hadn't noticed. ;)Yah, good thinking Shadow, i never really thought about that. And yes, i'm pretty... 'sketchy' about the whole Corin Nemec/PTB situation... Why are they so evil!!!

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 09:26 AM
Yeah, will wonders never cease? Of course, the question then becomes, will they let the newbies write the way they want to, or will they be heavily modded, so to speak?
They'll probably be "modded" in the same way the other writers are... That is, their ideas would be scrutinized by the writing staff and the show runner(s) would have the final say. But then, that's just the way it has to be, isn't it?

Anubis
May 31st, 2004, 09:30 AM
Sci-Fi normally flood their adverts with promos for their shows don't they? When I was staying in California in December we recieved the Sci-Fi channel and they kept promoting this show. I cannot remember what it was but it was on every break

I'm glad Sky don't do this

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 09:30 AM
Yah, good thinking Shadow, i never really thought about that. And yes, i'm pretty... 'sketchy' about the whole Corin Nemec/PTB situation... Why are they so evil!!!
Oh, so the people who created the show, who continue to give it to us on a weekly basis, who do their best to provide us with quality entertainment (wether you're satisfied with the result or not)... The people who make the very series we are all here to discuss...

They're evil now??

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 09:54 AM
The people who make the very series we are all here to discuss...

They're evil now??
Well, no, not necessarily evil, per se, just... quality challenged? ;) Although I still hold to the idea that TPTB are locked in a basement somewhere and have all been replaced by monkeys...

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 10:00 AM
Well, no, not necessarily evil, per se, just... quality challenged? ;) Although I still hold to the idea that TPTB are locked in a basement somewhere and have all been replaced by monkeys...
You mean the show finally moved to Hollywood? :D

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 10:02 AM
You mean the show finally moved to Hollywood? :D
No. Hollywood only hopes for monkeys. What they usually get are paramecium. Explains the toilet-level humor so predominant in movies, and the tendency to produce vast amounts of scummy garbage...

Ugly Pig
May 31st, 2004, 10:05 AM
No. Hollywood only hopes for monkeys. What they usually get are paramecium. Explains the toilet-level humor so predominant in movies, and the tendency to produce vast amounts of scummy garbage...
Wait. Did you just admit the current writing staff at Stargate are a step up from Hollywood, then? :D

ShadowMaat
May 31st, 2004, 10:08 AM
Wait. Did you just admit the current writing staff at Stargate are a step up from Hollywood, then? :D
So far. Isn't much of a step, though, and I think the monkeys are starting to devolve...

Elwe Singollo
May 31st, 2004, 10:13 AM
Oh, so the people who created the show, who continue to give it to us on a weekly basis, who do their best to provide us with quality entertainment (wether you're satisfied with the result or not)... The people who make the very series we are all here to discuss...

They're evil now??They aren't evil, i just think some episodes of season 7 weren't really... 'Stargate' normal quality. I don't think Stargate SG1's writers are bad, i think they are still doing a great job on writing, but thats my opinion.

GhostPoet
May 31st, 2004, 11:11 AM
I don't know if it will outshine..I think the two shows will be a little different. I think they will both be incredible and worthy of the name Stargate.

Elwe Singollo
May 31st, 2004, 12:21 PM
Exactly what i was thinking!

ellen323
June 30th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Gosh people, there must be something desparately wrong with me. I have loved every episode of SG-1 since I first started watching 3 years ago and now that Sci-Fi has 4 shows on every Monday night, all shown in order I have been able to see it all since the first episode. (over and over and over) I am just hoping that I love Atlantis just as much and from the previews I have seen I think I will.
I think SG-1 writers do a great job, so, like I said, must be something wrong with me.

Anubis
June 30th, 2004, 10:34 AM
I agree with you ellen. I've seen the entire Stargate show multiple times over. I watch the latest episodes, rewatch them and rewatch them again the following week on Sky One when it is repeated. I'm sure I'll do this with Atlantis also

akren
February 27th, 2005, 08:41 PM
It shall be interesting to compaire the two STARAGTE series (especially for me, as I have only read about, but not seen, any episodes of SGA). SG1 will be moving an a new direction come Season 9, & it will be interesting to see how Season 9 of SG1 differes from previous seasons & SGA.

I also feel that SGA should focus more on the Ancients & advanced tech, especially given the threat of the Wraith; & the fact that they are living in an Ancient city (which was described by Daniel in one episode as being 'the crown jewel in their [the Ancients] empire'). I also wouldn't mind seeing more tie-in episodes where the two series cross over (by this I mean episodes where the Atlantis team appear in SG1 as well as the other way around), & if they are to end SG1/SGA, tie it all off with a big movie tying in all of it & bringing it to a reasonable conculsion.

Now the only thing that is pissing me off ATM is having to WAIT for Season 9 of SG1 & the start of SGA on Australian TV (hurry up channel 7, if you're reading this! :S )!!

I guess the only thing that will 'tell' if one series 'better' than the other (they each have their merits & downfall,s but in defense of the original series, SG1 has run longer :p ), is time. . . .

Hatcheter
February 27th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Normally, I hate seeing zombie threads like this roaming the top pages. If it's been dead for eight months, it ought to stay dead, IMO.

But in this case I don't mind, it's rather entertaining to read what people were saying then.

So how do people who have actually seen all of SG-1 season 8 and Atlantis season 1 think the two compare?

Elwe Singollo
February 27th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I thought that S8 was ok, the premiere and 2 parter (New Order and The Reckoning) blew away most of SGA's episodes. Overall, i think both is equal, although i do have a personal peference towards SG1.

Easter Lily
February 27th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I thought there was something a little faulty with the grammar of the thread when I first saw it... ;) Still it looked interesting... and after getting past some of the tangential stuff, I realised it is a "revived" thread...

I suppose I'm one of those people who actually prefer Atlantis to SG1 in general. The thing is, I don't even really dislike Season 8... apart from a couple of dubious episodes like PU and Gemini... I've really enjoyed it. However, after revisiting Season 6 on DVD, I can understand why some people are so angry with some of the characterization of team members.
In no small part, DS9 and B5 kinda of spoilt it for me as these days I tend to go more for the arc-based shows. I was very surprised at how much I went for Atlantis early on considering how sceptical I was when I heard about the "spinoff"...

On hindsight, I'm really glad that Atlantis is a completely different show... with a completely new dynamic... I've really enjoyed the chemistry between the actors esp. Sheppard and McKay and I love the relentless build up of tension towards the end of the season. For better or worse, the "spinoff" has made me a bigger fan of the Stargate universe...

Jeff O'Connor
February 27th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Aside from the fact that I happened to actually enjoy "Prometheus Unbound", I tend to agree on essentially everything you just said. :)

Kip_Cathey_Furlings_are_Cats
February 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM
This thread has been here longer then I've been a member. But, it's an interesting idea.

I would have had to say at the beginning that there was no way some newbie show could top SG-1, not in a million years. But, now that I have seen the show, I must change my mind.

Atlantis is way, WAY better than SG-1's 8th season *Up to Reckoning, part one.* The 8th of SG-1 is bogged down with worthless tales that I can't even remember right now. It fell far below my expectations.

The Atlantis season, however, turned out wonderfully. I don't think it would have 9 years ago, when SG-1 began riding the airwaves. Maybe SG-1 paved the way, but I think now its time to get out of the way. 8 years is a long time to be on the tele, no matter what show it is.

They should just make a final SG-1 movie and be done with it. Although, the movie would have to wait until after Atlantis had solved the 'We can't go home' problem, but, let dead dogs die.

Dead threads too, me thinks.

Funkmeister
February 28th, 2005, 05:07 PM
season 8 of SG1 has finished showing on sky one, and i must admit, I do feel somewhat disappointed with it. However, I find myself enthralled by Atlantis. there have been some fantastically awesome episodes, and the characters are great. Sheppard is a great hero type kind of guy, who doesn't have that dumbness that jack has, which has gotten quite old in Season 8 of SG1. (i think S8 was a perfect opportunity to have the character of jack mature a bit, but I think it was a squandered opportunity.)

Anyway, the episodes of Atlantis have just been better than those of SG1 S8, in my opinion. they've been inventive with some of the episodes, although Childhood's End was very much "the Nox" of SGA. (i don't know if anyone else felt like this, but the feel of childhoods end reminded me of "the nox", from SG1's first season a bit.) However, I've found myself enthralled by Atlantis, and SG1 seems to have lost its sparkle. I found the reckoning two-parter to be a bit dull for a two-parter, threads was weird, and it had its moments, but i wasn't all that impressed, and the Moebius two-parter was a bit lacklustre, if you ask me.

i think that part of Atlantis' success is that you get real characters under pressure. Most of the team are scientists, and it's good to see them forced to get into a combat situation. Dr beckett having to fly the PJ because he has the gene is a great example of this. And we've seen McKay under pressure a few times, being forced to come up with the goods, rather than having Sam to figure it all out. And even the minor characters are great. Zelenka is cool, and even kavanagh, the whiny scientist, is cool, since he has a grudge against weir.

It had gotten to the point where I'd not really be bothered about watching SG1, but I'd go through rain and fire to make sure i saw SGA. And The Siege part 1 is on tomorrow. i haven't even seen the finale yet, and i love Atlantis already. And i've heard that the SGA finale is amazing, and i hope it delivers the goods. I certainly expect it to be better than moebius.

i do think season 8 was quite poor. no episodes really stuck out for me, except maybe threads, reckoning and moebius, but only because these are where the key plot developments happen. Whereas, in atlantis, save a couple of the earlier episodes, almost all the series stands out. the storm and the eye were the way a two-parter should be.

PugGate
February 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM
It sure looks like Stargate Atlantis will outshine SG-1. SG-1's episodes seem to be getting steadily worse while Atlantis episodes are doing pretty good. I guess were just left with the good ol' seasons of SG-1