This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Site: Women of Stargate

(Feel free to forward to any interested list/person/forum)

Women of Stargate is a new website dedicated to the female characters given to us by Stargate, the movie, Stargate SG-1 and soon by Stargate: Atlantis.

Our site is now open at:

http://www.womenofstargate.net

The site is for all fans who enjoy the women characters and is a tribute to the many strong women introduced to us by Stargate. It can be difficult to find female role models on TV. With Stargate, we were given some wonderful women right from the beginning.

There are lots of websites devoted to Sam and Janet. Women of Stargate pays tribute to them, but also to the many memorable but seldom-appearing women of Stargate. We don't exclude the men, but we do focus on the women. Everyone is welcome, all 'ships' included.

The site includes:

A directory of the female characters, major and minor, with character, episode and actress info.

A fan fiction archive - open for submissions now!

Art gallery - open for submissions now! (See the site FAQ for submission details).

News - show news, actress news, selected spoilers: also available as an RSS feed so you can get updates in your livejournal or newsfeed.

Links directory - anyone can submit links to relevant sites.

and lots more.

To celebrate our site opening, we're having a fan fiction contest. There are some great prizes going. Full details of the contest will be announced in a couple of days.

In the meantime, please check out the site, and if you have any suggestions for things we should add or include, please let us know!

We also have a mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/womenofstargate

open to all who share our interest in Stargate's women.

Come visit us at http://www.womenofstargate.net

We hope you'll enjoy the site.

Peace & Love

Ishtar
    WOS_Admin

Thanks, this looks like a good site.
    sigpic

Comment

Interesting site!
      Good Luck and thanks for the link.
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I'm guessing the site is still a work in progress, since I noticed a few guest appearances missing. Lt Satterfield would be a notable worth adding.

I saw one thing that I believe was only an assumption and without canonical evidence. In Sam's profile it mentions she is a pilot, but that has never been stated in episode. She claims to have 100 hours over enemy airspace, but there are guys at CNN that could say that. Since there were no female pilots engaged in combat missions in the Gulf War, she could have been a crew member on a cargo plane or AWAC. Since she stated she has been in an F-16 simulator, it is possible she is a pilot. It's possible she could have piloted a non-combat aircraft over the Gulf. But, she does not wear pilot wings on her dress uniform.

For that matter, Jack doesn't wear pilot wings either, but he did in the 1994 movie.

Comment

I'm just going under the assumption that SG-1 takes place in an alternate reality similar to our reality, but not exactly the same. Clearly, they have Simpsons... but I doubt Patty & Selma of the SG-1 world are obsessed with Richard Dean Anderson

What a delicious site... keep it up, Ishtar... SG-1 is a great show with women characters who have every much a right to have a personality as the guys. Hey, where's Oma...
          Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
          more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff
            I'm guessing the site is still a work in progress, since I noticed a few guest appearances missing. Lt Satterfield would be a notable worth adding.
            Yes, there are a lot missing. Over time the directory will hopefully fill up.

I saw one thing that I believe was only an assumption and without canonical evidence. In Sam's profile it mentions she is a pilot, but that has never been stated in episode. She claims to have 100 hours over enemy airspace, but there are guys at CNN that could say that. Since there were no female pilots engaged in combat missions in the Gulf War, she could have been a crew member on a cargo plane or AWAC.
            It's the quote about the fight simulation that implies she's a pilot. Not just the quote, but the confidence with which she says it. There's no canon on whether she's piloted in combat, but she's certainly qualified as a pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by Torley
              What a delicious site... keep it up, Ishtar... SG-1 is a great show with women characters who have every much a right to have a personality as the guys. Hey, where's Oma...
              Thanks. And thanks to everyone who has visited the site!

Peace,

Ishtar

Comment

whoa this site is kinda cool!

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
                Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
                Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but Janet served in Desert Storm. I don't recall this from any episode, but she wears the Southwest Asia Service ribbon (with 1 star) and the Liberation of Kuwait ribbon on her dress uniform. These awards are only presented to those who actually served in the theater of operation.

For those who served during both Desert Shield and Desert Storm, they have 2 stars on the SWA ribbon, and those who's tour extended beyond the end of the ground war have 3 stars denoting Operation Provide Comfort.

Comment

Thanks for the info
                    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but Janet served in Desert Storm. I don't recall this from any episode, but she wears the Southwest Asia Service ribbon (with 1 star) and the Liberation of Kuwait ribbon on her dress uniform. These awards are only presented to those who actually served in the theater of operation.
                      Prop canon isn't always realiable, though. Jack's medals change from season to season. In particular, at one point his dress uniform has a Vietnam service medal, which is impossible given his canon age.

Still, I'll see if we can add that info to Janet's page. Thanks!

Comment

RDA's actual age would be possible for service in Vietnam and Kurt Russell also wore Vietnam awards. I don't recall there being an established age for the character. And I wouldn't put 100% reliability on "Brief Candle" either. I always took that as "rounding off" his actual age. In casual conversation, I might reference myself being 40 years old, when in reality I'm actually a few years younger than that. By the same token I could say 30 just as easily.

Comment

RDA's actual age would be possible for service in Vietnam and Kurt Russell also wore Vietnam awards. I don't recall there being an established age for the character. And I wouldn't put 100% reliability on "Brief Candle" either. I always took that as "rounding off" his actual age. In casual conversation, I might reference myself being 40 years old, when in reality I'm actually a few years younger than that. By the same token I could say 30 just as easily.
                          The actor's age is no reliable indication of a character's age. It's frequently not even close.

Brief Candle is the only canon on the subject of Jack's age, so in the absence of other firm evidence, I would call that reliable. As for people rounding ages, that's true, but (except for women who claim to be 21 forever or similar vanity-inspired nonsense), in normal English or American speech people generally round up not down. You might say "I'm about forty" if you're 38. But not if you're over that age, generally. And there was no about in what Jack said. If he was rounding down to the nearest decade, he would have said "I'm in my forties", not "I'm forty years old". The latter is a very specific statement.

Comment

actually, in fragile balance his birth year is shown to be 1952, which contradicts the 'i'm 40' comment in brief candle

right at the beginning they have a brief shot of his ID
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I knew there was another reference somewhere, but I could not recall where. That would definately make him old enough to have served in Vietnam, as he joined the military at 18.

Comment

Working...
                              X