This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Physics Goes Too Far

Has anyone felt like Sam has rambled on too long [in a particular sitting], or the science was too much to understand?

I felt she got pretty close in A Matter of Time.

Noooo ... I just love to sit and listen to her ramble.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by David
      Has anyone felt like Sam has rambled on too long [in a particular sitting], or the science was too much to understand?

Oh, often. But it's interesting that you pick AMoT, cos that's one I enjoy for its 'science-heavy/technobabble-lite'-ness. It's a hard-science idea that can be summed up using primary-school words: "A black hole slows down time near the gate - BOO!" and "an explosion can make the wormhole jump away from the gate - HURRAH!".

I loved that ep.

The other one I love for the same reasons is Exodus: "They link the gate to a black hole, drop it into a sun, and the sun explodes." Cool!

The ones I dislike are the "lets re-route the primary power through an inertial dampener and disengage the dialing protocols!" type things. It makes me feel like I've wandered into a Voyager ep by mistake

Madeleine

Comment

Yup, inertial dampeners, anti-graviton beams and transphase inducers. Stargate ain't there yet, but when they start explaining all of our new Ancient toys, who knows?

Comment

I usually don my brain blanket and phase out until the techno-talk is over.

If I really want to know what is being said (technically), then I would turn the closed-caption on. It's much easier to read than to listen to techno-talk. Am I babbling?

Comment

Originally posted by Norlioness
            I usually don my brain blanket and phase out until the techno-talk is over.

If I really want to know what is being said (technically), then I would turn the closed-caption on. It's much easier to read than to listen to techno-talk. Am I babbling?
            Not at all. Closed-captioning was invented by the gods. I could not live without it especially being involved with GateWorld. It is a Godsend. I would really like to know the percentage of deaf/not deat who use it.

Comment

Is closed-captioning another word for Subtitles? Where the actor's lines appear on thew screen and important noises are described?

Madeleine

Comment

I though closed-captions was when its on a TV and its set in one language, ie English. But subtitles are when is on like DVDs and such and you can choose from multiple ones.
                I could be wrong though.

I think that the technobabble is great, it adds some realism to the show. But I hope that it doesn't get to the point where they start contradicting themselves like in the Star Trek series.
                Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Closed-Caption is when they have what the characters are saying and important noises written on the screen so deaf people can follow along.

Subtitles are for hearing people and only include the direct translation from one language to another.
                  ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                  The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Oh, right. In England they both get called subtitles. I tried it once on a Channel 4 showing of Stargate. They got all the spelling of the Stargate-Universe-Specific words wrong, including a lot of the technobabble. There, I'm vaguely on-topic.

Madeleine

Comment

Technobabble only seems to bother me on subsequent viewings of an episode. The first time I watch an episode I'm usually pretty well into it, and it doesn't bother me.

After that it depends on how long and boring the scene is.

Of couse I find that's the case for any exposition scene not just Carters.
                      ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                      The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by David

I'd like an episode that showed Earth developing a energy weapon, hence alot of tech talk.

Comment

i like the tech talk. it outs someone like me, who wonders how things work all the time, in place.
                          Suffer, for it is your reward.

Comment

Tech talk can be wonderful for exposition, if it's done right. I haven't seen it done wrong yet! lol

Comment

Techno babble is one of the things that makes the show great! I love to listen to sam just ramble on and jack try to keep up and then surrender to the inevitable "For Cryin out loud!"

Comment

Working...
                              X