This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 - Team Evolution

Let's discuss how SG-1 evolved as a team.

Do they build a cohesive, functional team or are they four individuals working together? What makes them such a good team, worthy of being the SGC's front line unit? What are the team dynamics, the relationships between the members?

Originally posted by Feli
    Let's discuss how SG-1 evolved as a team.

What makes them such a good team, worthy of being the SGC's front line unit?
    OK I'll have to think a bit more about the other questions you asked, but I did find this one really interesting.

What indeed makes them worthy of being the SGC's front line unit? We have a colonel who retired, after lying big time to his bosses about what happened on his last mission, we have an archealogist/linguist with an immense store of knowledge and no military training, a former first prime of the enemy who committed countless atrocities and whose loyalty could be seen as suspect, and finally we have a woman with military experience and training but an incredibly valuable resource in terms of her abilities and intelligence.

So the fact that the military let them out at all is quite amazing, and I can only answer that what made them worthy of being SGC's front line unit was initially luck. At first they were just there in the right place at the right time and managed to get themselves off world assignments. Later on, they had definitely earned the right to be the front line unit, and they had more than proved themselves worthy.

But if Jack, Daniel, Sam and Tealc were to arrive at the SGC *now*, I doubt they'd even be able to get themselves assigned to the same team.
    sigpic

Comment

Excellent points!

To a degree I can understand Jack's and Sam's inclusion in the team. They were both highly capable military officers after all, with valuable knowledge about the first trip through the stargate and a special forces background for Jack and even more valuable knowledge about gate physics for Sam.

Daniel should have been off the team by the time it took him AGES to find Earth's address in his little notebook when they were under enemy fire on Chulak. That scene makes me yell in frustration every time I even think of it. (And gives me an idea for another thread, so I won't go into detail here).

And Teal'c would have been locked up in a secure facility and mercilessly pumped for information for years to come but never would he have been allowed on a team.

Comment

I can see Jack being on the team at first despite his insubordinance because he was one of the only ones that had any actual experience going through the gate and who knew anything about the Gou'ald at all.

I can see Sam being on the team because not only does she have military training but she has all that physics knowledge that has come in handy when something goes wrong with the gate.

Daniel I can see too despite his civilian status because, like Jack, he has some experience with the gate and the Gou'ald and he can translate for them and study and give opinions on the local culture.

Teal'c I have a harder time with in terms of reality because the governmet would have had what's left of him in a petri dish before he could blink. But he belongs on the team because he has all of that insider info that has come in so handy.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I think the team has definately evolved from the first episode to now.
          Jack has grown more experienced as a leader and is ready to take Hammonds place

Daniel is no longer the naive young archaeologist he was. He has grown into an experienced linguist and diplomat but has also learned how to fight and that it is sometimes neccasary to fight and kill to protect those you care for.

Sam has grown from the inexperienced nerd she was. She has become a capable leader in her own right and has become the formost expert on all things alien tech on the planet.

Teal'c is no longer just the mindless warrior he used to be. He has grown emotionally and is not the cold emotionless teal'c he used to be. He has also grown in his role as a warrior and leader. He is the leader of the Rebel Jaffa and become a beacon of hope for all Jaffa still enslaved

Comment

I love the team and how close they all are...I'm especially glad that TPTB have developed Teal'c and Sam's friendship more in the last couple of seasons.

Of course, in reality Teal'c would be in a lab, Daniel wouldn't be allowed through the gate due to lack of military training, Sam wouldn't cause she's the expert on the stargate, Jack would've been courtmarshalled for lying after the movie. So, the whole series wouldn't exist and that would suck

also, presuming they had managed to get beyond that, they'd be split up cause they're too close...which would also suck!

I

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
            ~Imzadi
            describes Sam and Jack pretty well to me!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs>
            Screw the regs! DOWN with ! He's no threat to O'Neill! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

Comment

just conpare the Sg-1 from the 9th season and think how much it has changed

at first jack wasn't to happy about carter being a scientist teal'c was trying to fit in daniel was sneezing. and finally captian carter (sounds weird saying that) was saying a lot of confusing stuff which got less confusing as the years have gone on.
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by NightWing
                just conpare the Sg-1 from the 9th season and think how much it has changed

at first jack wasn't to happy about carter being a scientist teal'c was trying to fit in daniel was sneezing. and finally captian carter (sounds weird saying that) was saying a lot of confusing stuff which got less confusing as the years have gone on.
                It is amazing to look back on how they've all changed over the years. Teal'c now fits in with the Tau'ri more than he does his own people at times. Carter is still smart as ever, but we seem to understand what she's saying a bit more. Daniel still has the heart of an adventurer, but has acquired the skills of a great warrior over the years. And O'Neill has given way to a wide-eyed, exuberant young Lt. Colonel Mitchell who is still finding his way with the team. It's been quite a journey, I'll tell you that.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The thing that makes them such a good team as well as a front line team is that they would risk their own lives to save each others and to save anyone around them who they could have only just met. They also risk their lives for other teams and for that they are honoured by every single SG team in existance. Remember that ep (cant remember the name) where SG1 was in trouble and all the SG teams steped forward to rescue them. That was such an emotional part of the ep.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithWarrior
                    They also risk their lives for other teams and for that they are honoured by every single SG team in existance. Remember that ep (cant remember the name) where SG1 was in trouble and all the SG teams steped forward to rescue them. That was such an emotional part of the ep.
                    Very much agreed!
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I really thought that was a good ep, I might have to watch that later, do you know what ep it was?

Comment

Into The Fire

There was also a similar scene in Zero Hour

Comment

Originally posted by PG15
                          Into The Fire

There was also a similar scene in Zero Hour
                          Just goes to show how important everyone knows SG-1 is to the Stargate Program and Earth itself.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I personally think that armagedon would happen if the stargate was discovered but more to the point, I can see Jack and Sam on SG1. Daniel is too valuable of a resource to risk on off-world missions. After all, he deciphered the address system. Teal'c's symbiote would have most likely been extracted and implanted to be interrogated, leaving Teal'c dead and some poor soul the host of a Goa'uld.

Comment

Working...
                            X