No announcement yet.

There But For the Grace of God (119)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I"m not sure if the gate itself would increase the yield to weight ratio of the bomb, but I am certain that it would have destroyed the village at that distence. Modern nuclear bombs size depends on if they were built for countervalue (city busting) or counterforce targets (for lack of better term, military targets).

As the accuracy of the weapons increased, the air force shifted towards smaller bombs in the idea that you could fight a limited nuclear war attacking just the enemies infastructure and not blindly target cities. The navy for a long time resisted this tendency because they saw increasing accuracy as making it much too tempting for civilian politicians to push the button. The logic being that if you tell the man "we can level Moscow" he's less likely to go with it than "we can take out the command bunker".

In the end counterforce prevailed and by the 1980s the weapons got quite small relatively. Still at the time, NATO planners were estimating the deaths from even a small scale conflict to a couple hundred thousand 'attrits per second', so I'm never quite sure how much I feel about what they really thought a small scale nuclear conflict was.

But you have to remember that Jack was trying to do as much damage as possible, and my guess is that he chose to use a large nuke to do that. Even if they didn't keep them around Cheyenne Mountain (and they seem to have them handy in other episodes), I'm sure he could have gotten one from Peterson AFB nearby.

In real life? I highly doubt NORAD or US Space Command has nukes sitting around the mountain. Major cracking in the mountain during construction made the survivablity of the Cheyenne Mountain Ops Center really questionable. Which would be why they relied more and more on the Looking Glass and TACAMO aircraft as the real assurance of command post conflict.

Comment

WOW, way cool episode, i like alternate reality stuff, but dramatic when daniel gets back, Jack, there coming bla bla.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

I saw a pretty strong resemblance with the Movie-O'Neill in this episode, by RDA. There was a bit of a harshness to his voice, a tough exterior that reminded me of Russell's portrayal in many ways. I thought it was particularly evident in his first scene with Daniel and Catherine, when he said the lines "A Jaffa?" and "Get this man outta here, now". There's no doubt in my mind that RDA would have done an excellent job in the movie, as well.

Daniel's little hand gestures when he, very frustrated, tries to explain to Catherine who he is... they're just too darn cute. "And unless the last two years have been some wacky, wacky dream, I am a member of SG-1".

That prop thing that operates the alternate mirror, felt a little bit too much like a child's toy.

The scene where Daniel finds out that his alternate reality self is probably dead, was fairly amusing. "Uh oh."

Alternate!Teal'c with the Djingis Khan - hairstyle. What else is there to say?

This goes in my Top Three-list of season 1.
        Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Oh. Dear. God(s).

Just watched this one for the first time on DVD and it quite figuratively scared the heck out of me. I'd forgotten that there was, in fact, a REASON that I'd only read the darn thing once! I can't imagine being in Danny's position, being so totally out of my universe and not having a thing to do about it.

What was good:

a. Introduction of the mirror. Cool! Very Matrix! (which came first, anyway?)
          b. Catherine--great to see her!
          c. Sam&Jack--whoo-hoo! Go ship. Seriously, though, it was good. I loved how they were in military mode right up until Jack went to confront Teal'c-and then you saw it come out. Sad! They died exactly the way I think they'd have liked to (provided they had to die at all). The look in their eyes when they knew it was over...eek! Look, I TOLD you this one freaked me out!
          d. Teal'c--at the risk of sounding like Jack in New Order: nice hair. Weird, very weird...kinda cool, though. I still prefer the tennis-ball look in Season 8

What wasn't good:

a. Dude, I told you: it was scary!

Comment

It wasn't scary zats. I only screamed 12 times, come on.

(For those of you who didn't get it, I didn't scream at all).
            Rocky

Comment

This is probably my all time favorite Stargate ep, or at least one of the top ones. I love alternate universe eps--what could have been--but this really good all around, both in acting and story. Daniel scared and confused, Carter not in the military, Jack hardcore, Teal'c bad...this is probably the one episode with the J/S ship that I like. It was a good pause in amidst the chaos to show a tender moment. Of course, its also the big scene that probably had shippers scream its proof they are meant to be.

I don't know what was up with Teal'c hair though. Made quite a statement. "I'm evil. Just look at my wacky hairdo." That moment right before he shoots Jack though...so sad. Jack realized all too late he'd screwed himself.

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                It wasn't scary zats. I only screamed 12 times, come on.

(For those of you who didn't get it, I didn't scream at all).
                Humph. Speak for youself. And I didn't scream at all. Winced a few times, sort of strangledly shrieked once, hid under the couch...but I DIDN'T scream.

So there.
                Last edited by zats; 18 September 2004, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey6283
                  Do they actually have nukes stored in Cheyenne Mountain? I mean General O'Neill was contemplating using one on the Goa'uld military base after the ship took position on the mountain. He seemed pretty confident that he has them at his disposal, but I don't see how a convey with a nuke could make it to the SGC with the Jaffa controlling the enterance.

Also, how powerful was that bomb they sent to Chu'lak. I don't remember the village being all that close to the gate in 'Children of the Gods'. Yet, the bomb took out all of the Jaffa there, suppositively.

I do think the Ancients created the mirror. It just seems like something they'd do. Test the limits of physics and push the boundries and then leave the technology for some lesser being to get into trouble with it.

Which leads to another question. Now that we know you need a specific gene to control Ancient tech, does that mean Jackson has it too? Assuming it was made by the Ancients.

SPOILER PERHAPS

No He doesn't remember being ascended and what he did there as an Ancient
                  Lord Zedd

Comment

The Daniel/Catherine shippy scenes were my favorite. They made a great couple in the feature film and Torment o' Tantalus.

Doc Carter's reaction to the videotape Daniel brings from the other side is vintage Sam, and I love the whole idea of "what if Daniel hadn't joined the program". Fun, fun feature-worthy stuff. I only thing that didn't make sense to me was the O'Neill-Hammond rank swap. Why would that detail in particular be different?
                    END OF LINE

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Dick
                      Doc Carter's reaction to the videotape Daniel brings from the other side is vintage Sam
                      I love the look on her face when the Captain Carter with the short hair and the field kit comes into view on the tape. You can just see both the possibilities of the alternate realities playing out, and the possibilities of what her life might have been like. It was very nicely played emotion on AT's part.

And the best wig that she's gotten in the entire show

I only thing that didn't make sense to me was the O'Neill-Hammond rank swap.
                      What I didn't get is how Hammond would have still been in the service at his age as a colonel. But I could be wrong...
                      Last edited by Major Fischer; 26 September 2004, 10:15 PM. Reason: Because I shouldn't post serious posts late at night. Especially about left wing british politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                        What I didn't get is how Hammond would have still been in the service at his age as a colonel. But I could be wrong...
                        Three theories:
                        1. Hammond simply started up later than he did in our reality.
                        2. Hammond was demoted for some reason.
                        3. In this universe, Hammond resigned due to the fact that his kid shot himslef with Hammond's gun, and was persuaded to join up again by General O'Neill.
                        Rocky

Comment

I used to be in the military my self, some people just dont advance in rank that much. There used to be this one guy on my ship, He was a Petty Officer third class. He most have been in his sixties. I had friends as young a 20 that made that rank. It all depends on the field your in and how many times you get in trouble. Hammoned in that reality might have had a number of problems, but well never know I guess

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                            Three theories:
                            1. Hammond simply started up later than he did in our reality.
                            2. Hammond was demoted for some reason.
                            3. In this universe, Hammond resigned due to the fact that his kid shot himslef with Hammond's gun, and was persuaded to join up again by General O'Neill.
                            Perhaps the fact that SG-1 never visited Lt. Hammond in 1969 in the alt. reality somehow effected the course of his career and prevented him from attaining the coveted role of general. Carter does tell Hammond in 1969 that he will be general in charge of Cheyenne Mountain someday. Perhaps that somehow moticated him to attain the higher rank (although that scenario has its own casuality problems that would have to be resolved).
                            END OF LINE

Comment

Perhaps the fact that SG-1 never visited Lt. Hammond in 1969 in the alt. reality somehow effected the course of his career and prevented him from attaining the coveted role of general. Carter does tell Hammond in 1969 that he will be general in charge of Cheyenne Mountain someday. Perhaps that somehow moticated him to attain the higher rank (although that scenario has its own casuality problems that would have to be resolved).

that would have ment if they didnt go back there present never would have happend. If he wasnt a genral before the time trek then why would amanda say he is. to werid to think about, I would say its an "alternate realty", things will be diff.

Comment

I have to say that I loved this episode.

I'm new to Stargate, but I made sure that I got a loan of it!

Here's what I loved

Jack - A bit more military, a bit less dumb. I don't like the dumbman routine
                                Sam - It was nice to see what she'd be like away from the military, and also made us realise that we'd rather have AF Sam any day!
                                Teal'c - it showed us what Teal'c would have been like if it wasn't for SG1 giving him the courage to change
                                Daniel - He was a fish out of water and he'sso sweet when he;s a little bit confused!

I also liked the Jack/Sam hug (I'm a shipper!), and I also thought it was funy to see Hammond taking orders from Jack.

Oh! Catherine was there!!!!!!!!!
                                sigpic
                                Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Working...
                                X