Solitudes (117)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asgard-VA
    Say, did anyone out there ever catch any identifying marks on the frozen Jaffa to figure out if he was one of Ra's soldiers?
    It's hard to tell, all we see is his hand through the ice. Sam says he's a serpent guard.

Last edited by Zoidman; 18 May 2004, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
      Puh-leese! That for real? Channel 4 introduced the ep as 'The Ice Planet'
      Yes, it's for real.
      ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
      The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
        Scientists are generally trained to ASSUME that if one thing doesn't work, other similar things won't work.
        I don't think that's necessarily true. I'm a "computer scientist" and part of my training and eperience has tought me to try ever possibility no matter how unlikely it is to work. (Especially if it's a Microsoft product )

I'm not saying I would have thought to dial another planet, at that time, I'm just saying I doubt her training would lead her to make such an assumption, rather I think she was so focused on getting back to EARTH that it never entered her mind to try another planet.
        ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
        The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by Zoidman
          It's hard to tell, all we see is his hand through the ice. Sam says he's a serpent guard.

Thank you for the great detective work!

This now leads me into my next question on goa'uld visitations to earth. If the Jaffa in Antartica is a serpent guard (one of Apophis's goons) and this gate was lost before the folks at Giza threw Ra out and buried the gate, doesn't this imply that Ra gained control of the planet from Apophis? Not that this really matters much, but I don't recall anything mentioned about it in the series (although maybe I blinked and missed it). Anyway, the early goa'uld chronology of events on earth might make for an interesting story at some point.
          There is nothing cruvas with me.

Comment

Hammond is to blame for Sam not trying another address; she has hypothermia as an excuse.

He should have, as part of a risk assessment, have considered the possibility that an SG team might urgently need to leave a planet where they are under fire from hostiles, but not want to come to the SGC, or not be able to. If the Jaffa chasing them had shot and damaged the GDO, if the Earth gate was in use at the time of the emergency, or if the DHD didn't have the right symbols then they ought to have a 'spare' address, possibly the Alpha site, possibly an empty and harmless planet, where they could regroup and sit tight until they can contact Earth or Earth come to find them.

Or if they needed to get out fast but they were themselves a danger to the SGC due to some contagion. Like in Bane, when the bugs were chasing them, it would have made more sense for them to dial a 'spare' planet.

Not really Hammond's finest hour. But Solitudes was such a great story that I'll forgive him. Just.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
              Hammond is to blame for Sam not trying another address; she has hypothermia as an excuse.

He should have, as part of a risk assessment, have considered the possibility that an SG team might urgently need to leave a planet where they are under fire from hostiles, but not want to come to the SGC, or not be able to. If the Jaffa chasing them had shot and damaged the GDO, if the Earth gate was in use at the time of the emergency, or if the DHD didn't have the right symbols then they ought to have a 'spare' address, possibly the Alpha site, possibly an empty and harmless planet, where they could regroup and sit tight until they can contact Earth or Earth come to find them.

Or if they needed to get out fast but they were themselves a danger to the SGC due to some contagion. Like in Bane, when the bugs were chasing them, it would have made more sense for them to dial a 'spare' planet.

Not really Hammond's finest hour. But Solitudes was such a great story that I'll forgive him. Just.
              Yeah, I've often wandered this, but then I get into a whole debate about American military tactics... don't even get me started... Give us Brits the Stargate!

Moving right along... I *loved* this episode, one of the best lines... ok, 2 of the best lines came out of this episode:

Jack: It's my sidearm I swear
              ------------------------------
              Daniel to Teal'C: And what would happen if you dialed your own telephone?... Bad example...

Comment

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who was wondering about this then....
                "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Originally posted by Asgard-VA
                  Thank you for the great detective work!

This now leads me into my next question on goa'uld visitations to earth. If the Jaffa in Antartica is a serpent guard (one of Apophis's goons) and this gate was lost before the folks at Giza threw Ra out and buried the gate, doesn't this imply that Ra gained control of the planet from Apophis? Not that this really matters much, but I don't recall anything mentioned about it in the series (although maybe I blinked and missed it). Anyway, the early goa'uld chronology of events on earth might make for an interesting story at some point.
                  No problem

[Speculation]
                  It's possible Apophis brought slaves from Earth long before Ra came to Egypt. The Antarctic gate is one of the first made (if not the first). It's located in the Ancient's territory, which suggest it was protected by an Ancient goa'uld killer or some other defense weaponry.

Then the gate was probably banned for that reason, which is why Ra brought the Egypt gate.
                  [/Speculation]

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
                    I don't think that's necessarily true. I'm a "computer scientist" and part of my training and eperience has tought me to try ever possibility no matter how unlikely it is to work. (Especially if it's a Microsoft product )
                    okay... Maybe I overgeneralized a bit. Theoretical scientists are taught to make assumptions.
                    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by omnian
                      There was one thing I didn't get about this episode......

If dialling Earth on the second gate didn't work then why didn't Carter simply try another address? To be sure that it wasn't just Earth that couldn't be gated to?
                      I must admit, I found that odd, as well.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SamInChicago
                        A great episode even with the lack of hat. :rolleyes
                        That's the main thing that bothered me about this episode !
                        I know Jack had several serious injuries,...but at least he had the sense to keep his head warm at all costs !!
                        I mean,if Sam had been following basic survival training,she'd have kept her helmet on.
                        (I'm assuming that the helmet was fully lined,btw.No sense in keeping it on, if there was no insulation against the extreme cold .)

Conclusion:The Director made her do it !

(This also (perhaps) answers the more important question, about why she didn't try a safe address, to see if she and Jack could Gate there ! )
                        The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Although a long shot, maybe Carter didn't know any other gate addresses at the time
                          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Possibly ! I know Daniel was the Address expert, but I know that if I was expected to risk my neck on a regular basis,by going through the Gate,I'd make sure I had a safe place memorised (or written down) in case of emergency !

Having stated that,"Solitudes" would have been a pointless episode, if there'd been no real risk factor ! (I enjoyed the episode regardless. )

Comment

I saw some bloopers of this episode from the Lowdown, i think it was the lowdown... it was halrious about the macgyver comments, But anyway, if they weren't stuck in a cold freezing place, i think your right fhb, it would be pointless, haha...
                              Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

OMG,I loved that whole routine from AT ! Poor RDA !

Comment

Working...
                                X