This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teal'c and major Carter

I have been watching some episodes and notice that Teal'c have change the way he adress his team members except for Carter.

He drop the Doctor on Daniel, so now is just daniel jackson

jack is just plain O'Neill

Why does he keep calling Carter, Major Carter? Why not Samantha Carter, or Carter or sam? why the formality?

San

It has always been MajorCarter (Well, CaptainCarter at first ) and DanielJackson, and always O'Neill.

Comment

Teal'c did use her first name in Grace....ahh but that was all in Carters head.
      sigpic

Comment

He also called her Dr. Carter in a few episodes early in Season 1.

btw, this is my first post here! I love the show, its my favorite one on TV!
        "Out of the way it's a busy day, I've got things on my mind." --Pink Floyd

Comment

It has always been MajorCarter (Well, CaptainCarter at first ) and DanielJackson, and always O'Neill.
          actually in the first season it use to be Doctor Jackson and Colonel O'Neill, if i'm not mistaken

San

Comment

Originally posted by san
            actually in the first season it use to be Doctor Jackson and Colonel O'Neill, if i'm not mistaken
            He refers to them in the third person as Doctor Jackson and Colonel O'Neill, but he's called them Daniel Jackson and O'Neill for a good long time, if not quite forever. For one or two episodes, Daniel called Sam 'Doctor - or Captain - Carter'; that was just part of the settling in process.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

yes, and Sam call daniel, Doctor on the first 2 episodes, but as the dinamics change so the way they call each other, except for Teal'c regarding sam.
              Why? Is because she's female? out of respect? Because he didn't bound with her the same way he did with other 2? What?

San

Comment

Originally posted by san
                yes, and Sam call daniel, Doctor on the first 2 episodes, but as the dinamics change so the way they call each other, except for Teal'c regarding sam.
                Why? Is because she's female? out of respect? Because he didn't bound with her the same way he did with other 2? What?
                He calls her by rank because she's a military officer and he's a soldier. Daniel's doctorate isn't a rank. For the most part, Teal'c uses the full version of the name everyone else calls someone, he just never shortens it. Jack is a special case, not Sam.

Comment

Ok, i wasn't looking from the side of a soldier, in that case it would made sence.

I was looking from a team mate/friends angle. All trough much more subtle, there seems to be a very protective relationchip between the 2 of them, i mean Teal'c seems to be very protective of her. Paradise lost and Heroes come to mind. While Teal'c is there also for the others, he seems to look for her when she's "stressed".

Anyway, you have a very good point there, the soldier angle.

San

Comment

This is just the normal development of relatioships. Perhaps the difference with Sam is a cultural thing left over from the respect of females on Chulak.

Comment

Remember alsothat Teal'c has spent most of his life knowing two kinds of people: Comrades-in-arms and a very small collection of close family. Even his friends are other soldiers, and in a Jaffa's life of service and duty, they would be comrades first.

Moreover, Jaffa only have one name. He doesn't come from a culture which really has variant forms of address for freinds, comrades, lovers and so forth. Indeed, they usually just call each other 'Jaffa'.

Comment

i think he calls o'neill plain "o'neill" because they have a different bond. teal'c was willing to give up everything because he had this trust in o'neill. then when teal'c was first on earth, it seemed like jack was one of the only people that was like "give him a chance". so basically, the bond between teal'c and o'neill are more like brothers from the start. and as their relationship grew stronger, the title of colonel could be dropped. i'ts like in japan, in an usual setting, a person with a name of honda torou (where honda is the last name and torou is the first name) woule be addressed as honda-san. however, as people become closer they would be able to adress them as torou-san or sometimes just plain torou. (used character from fruits basket as an example).

with people like jonas and daniel, they aren't officially military. through any sort of chain of command he isn't really required to address them by whatever title they have ie. doctor jackson. he compensates by saying "daniel jackson or jonas quinn". also familiary plays a role in that as well. though...i don't hink i can see him calling daniel "jackson" or calling jonas "quinn"...hmm

he does not think any less of sam for being of a different gender, sam has obviously proved herself worthy of "equalness" and him and sam have a strong relationship (ie. paradise lost...and no i'm not saying a "shippy relationship"). however, i think calling sam "major carter" is basically the same as him calling hammond "general hammond" and janet "doctor frasier".
                        My flickr photography.

Comment

Originally posted by san
                          I have been watching some episodes and notice that Teal'c have change the way he adress his team members except for Carter.

He drop the Doctor on Daniel, so now is just daniel jackson

jack is just plain O'Neill

Why does he keep calling Carter, Major Carter? Why not Samantha Carter, or Carter or sam? why the formality?

San
                          same reason o'neill still calls her carter. they're secretly doing it
                          i know that made no actual sense. but it was fun dangit!

seriously though, both teal'c and daniel initially called her "doctor carter" in the first few episodes. maybe when she earned his respect he acknowleged her as a fellow warrior and thats just him showing her respect. he still calls bra'tac "master bra'tac".
                          also, i never really noticed that he started using "daniel" in place of "doctor", i just thought he always called him "daniel jackson"

Comment

from morjana's part of the Compendium

This list does not contain names used by Synthetic Teal'c, Alternate Universe Teal'c, Planted Memory Teal'c, Dream Teach Teal'c, Future Teal'c, or any other kind of Teal'c, other than the Real Teal'c.

In the episode "The Changeling", I only counted those names from towards the end of the episode…when Teal'c arrives back at the SGC Gateroom and forward.

Teal'c refers to, or addresses, Jack as:

Colonel

Col. O'Neill

My Friend

O'Neill

Underling

Teal'c refers, to addresses, Sam as:

Back to the top

Capt. Carter

Dr. Carter

Major Carter

Your Friend

Teal'c refers to, or addresses, Daniel as:

Daniel

Greatest Friend

Daniel Jackson

Teal'c refers to, or addresses, Jonas as:

Jonas

Jonas Quinn

Probie

Teal'c refers to, or addresses, General Hammond as:

General

General Hammond

Sir

Teal'c refers to, or addresses, Janet as:

Doctor

Dr. Fraiser
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I can only begin to imagine how you managed to count all those.
                              darkest before dawn........

Comment

Working...
                              X