Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CotG/Avenger 2.0 Inconsistancy and a possible soultion!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CotG/Avenger 2.0 Inconsistancy and a possible soultion!

Right in CotG, Dannyboi says he's tried many many combinations using but couldn't make a connection because if steller drift right?

Yet in "Avenger 2.0" We learn that DHDs update each other to compensate for stellar drift. Dun-dun-duuuunn! It doesn't make sense!!

Yet i was watching the movie and to the best of my knowledge we never see a DHD, this coupled wit hthe fact danny appears to have move the 'gate to a different part of the pyramid seems to suggest he found the DHD it a different part of the pyraimd and move the gate to it, this suggest the DHD was not hooked up to the Gate and therefore didn't receive the coraaltive updates for a while after daniel recoonected it, hence it didn't work.

So whatja thin? Any major flaws? Minor flaws? or is it all just completely wrong?
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Ugh, how many times does this have to come up. Watch CotG, Daniel says:"Well, I tried the same here and it didn't work either. But I figured the destinations I tried are either destroyed or... buried, but some of them somewhere must still exist." He couldn't connect, not because of stellar drift, but because of what he said.

And there was no DHD in the movie because Brad & Jonathan created the concept of the DHD for the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
      Ugh, how many times does this have to come up. Watch CotG, Daniel says:"Well, I tried the same here and it didn't work either. But I figured the destinations I tried are either destroyed or... buried, but some of them somewhere must still exist." He couldn't connect, not because of stellar drift, but because of what he said.

And there was no DHD in the movie because Brad & Jonathan created the concept of the DHD for the show.

What are the chances of Danny both getting a adress that should work and dialing one that was bired at the same time? Pretty slim. Aside from the nebuloud issue it might not be stealler drift that caused the gate not to work any other problems.

And as for the DHD issue, well the film is still cannon right? It *happened* right? I'm looking for a In-universe answer not the "its just a movie" cop-out. We don't see a DHD in the film we do in CotG DHDs can't miraculously appear from no where can they? So this leaves 2 possiblities:
      1) The DHD was supposed to be there in the movie we just did'nt see it on camera.

2) It was in a different part of the pyriamd and Danny & co moved their gate to it.

I favour 2) seeing as it would also explain why the gate is in a differnet room in the movie than it was in CotGs.
      sigpic
      Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith
        What are the chances of Danny both getting a adress that should work and dialing one that was bired at the same time? Pretty slim. Aside from the nebuloud issue it might not be stealler drift that caused the gate not to work any other problems.

And as for the DHD issue, well the film is still cannon right? It *happened* right? I'm looking for a In-universe answer not the "its just a movie" cop-out. We don't see a DHD in the film we do in CotG DHDs can't miraculously appear from no where can they? So this leaves 2 possiblities:
        1) The DHD was supposed to be there in the movie we just did'nt see it on camera.

2) It was in a different part of the pyriamd and Danny & co moved their gate to it.

I favour 2) seeing as it would also explain why the gate is in a differnet room in the movie than it was in CotGs.
        Firstly, the movie is not canon, because there's no way in hell someone can say "Oh, Ra had an Asgard body!!! Look how smart I am that I figured that out!" again without me going on a violent rampage

Anyway, what's this dialling a gate that should work and is burried? What do you mean? He just dialled some addresses, none of them worked... I don't know what these odds are though...

Comment

I was basically saying: how many gates are buried? Comapare to the number of gates out there? Seems unlikely that every one of the ones he dialed were either not actually addesses or buried, surly he really should have been able ot get a connection through sheer chance.

As for the film not being cannon, howe can it not be? Obviously its a lower tier cannon (meaning where it and SG-1 directly contradict we believe SG-1 is the "truth") but it still *happened* im the SG-1 universe otherwise what where Hammond and O'Neill yapping on about in "CotG"? Hoew did Jack know Danny? Etc. Etc.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

I was basically saying: how many gates are buried? Comapare to the number of gates out there? Seems unlikely that every one of the ones he dialed were either not actually addesses or buried, surly he really should have been able ot get a connection through sheer chance.
            The addresses on the Abydos map were out of date. Sam fed the images into the computer, which then generated the new addresses based on the stellar drift calculations. That's why Sam says that they will be getting a trickle of addresses each week, which were supplemented by addresses which Teal'c knew.

By Season 8 they also have the extra addresses from the Ancients' archive, which presumably were corrected when Jack entered them, based on the knowledge downloaded into his brain.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
              The addresses on the Abydos map were out of date. Sam fed the images into the computer, which then generated the new addresses based on the stellar drift calculations. That's why Sam says that they will be getting a trickle of addresses each week, which were supplemented by addresses which Teal'c knew.

By Season 8 they also have the extra addresses from the Ancients' archive, which presumably were corrected when Jack entered them, based on the knowledge downloaded into his brain.

All of which means Dick to Danniel inbetween the movie and CotG. When he was randomly dialing whit h DHD that *should* compensate for stellar drift.
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

All of which means Dick to Danniel inbetween the movie and CotG. When he was randomly dialing whit h DHD that *should* compensate for stellar drift.
                There are almost two and a half million combinations of the Stargate. Random dialling is unlikely to turn anything up, even given that Daniel knew the point of origin (without that knowledge the number is about 78 million).

What he was doing was dialling invalid addresses from a Goa'uld source.

Comment

Nope, Avenger 2.0 and Lost City show that the addresses stay the same, it's just the co-ordinates the symbols target that change.

Daniel probably treked out to the catouche room, took 5 random addresses, wrote them down, went back, tried to dial, figured 5 didn't work... maybe i'll try next week, then next week Jack shows up

Comment

There are almost two and a half million combinations of the Stargate. Random dialling is unlikely to turn anything up, even given that Daniel knew the point of origin (without that knowledge the number is about 78 million).

What he was doing was dialling invalid addresses from a Goa'uld source.

Oops your right, but the reason according ot you was that Stellar drfit meant the adresses where uselss, hence the contradiction with Avenger that i was trying to explian anyway so you've just proven my point for me.
                    sigpic
                    Banner By JME2

Comment

thats assuming that its recieved the corrlative updates. daniel says he discovered it after jack left the first time so yeah it wasnt hooked up to the gate to recieve the updates. sam says in Avenger that they theorises that the DHD's do corrlative updates every hundred years or so. daniel had unburied the DHD and hooked it up(although how i dont know since there are no wires or anything connecting the gate and DHD, but thats a different discussion) a between the first abydos mission and when jack came back, which was just over a year right? so the DHD hadnt been updated yet. thats why he couldnt connect anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                        Firstly, the movie is not canon, because there's no way in hell someone can say "Oh, Ra had an Asgard body!!! Look how smart I am that I figured that out!" again without me going on a violent rampage

Anyway, what's this dialling a gate that should work and is burried? What do you mean? He just dialled some addresses, none of them worked... I don't know what these odds are though...
                        Actually I discovered in the RPG Sourcebook for the Goa'uld that it is suggested Ra had taken one as a host to escape from his Asgard pursuers. I'll type it up:

"9,177 B.C. - Ra, badly injured, flees Asgard pursuers into an alien system. There he finds a lush world inhabited by a large population of primitives that bow to his divinity. This world - Earth - contains a vast number of natives that are suitable for blending. Transferring his essence to a human host, Ra is infused with new vigor and life. He quickly determines that these humans provide a near-ideal host for the Goa'uld. Using a Stargate he brought with him, Ra claims the world of the Tauri as his own." - (SG-1: Living Gods RPG Sourcebook, 9)
                        As in Star Wars, that's a cannon source unless they contradict it on the show. I believe it is hinted at that he came to Earth with an Asgard host because his Unas body was injured. Remember Unas didn't work well with sarcophagus technology and they were dying from it. That's why they changed hosts to be humans. I just felt the need to address that because it was a long-standing issue on here a while back.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by System Lord Anubis
                          Actually I discovered in the RPG Sourcebook for the Goa'uld that it is suggested Ra had taken one as a host to escape from his Asgard pursuers. I'll type it up:

As in Star Wars, that's a cannon source unless they contradict it on the show. I believe it is hinted at that he came to Earth with an Asgard host because his Unas body was injured. Remember Unas didn't work well with sarcophagus technology and they were dying from it. That's why they changed hosts to be humans. I just felt the need to address that because it was a long-standing issue on here a while back.
                          no where in the show has it ever suggested Ra had taken an asgard as a host. in the movie he sorta looked like an asgard with teeth because that was E & D's idea. Show cannon overrides the movie. and the RPG has never and is not a cannon source. just because they say something in the book and its not directly contradicted in the show doesnt make it cannon. only stuff stated in the show or specifically said by the PTB is cannon. otherwise anyone could make up whatever the wanted and claim it was cannon.

Comment

That whole thing with RA when he's in the explosion (assuming you mean that is when you see the Asgard form) I always put down to the explosion. It is most likely, that that was the original intended form of the Goa'uld as we do not see nor here mention of the snakes.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Well, in the movie, he was a kind of glowy, flying Roswell thing that had merged with the boy rather than a snake in his noggin.

I think that in CotG the addresses were still treated pretty much coordinates, while by The Lost City they are clearly not only more like the SGC's reference numbers, but in fact relate directly to the Ancient name for the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X