This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point of Origin Questions

I tried to search through the forum for the answer but couldn't find it. This is a quesiton I've always wondered. I have to assume that before the team goes through the gate, they know the point of origin, otherwise they would have to find it to dial home and it never shows them doing this.

So, how does the team know ahead of time what the point of origin is? Any help is most appreciated!!

Lol, the point of origin is a completely unique symbol on the Stargate itself and sometimes the DHD too (bit of dispute about that one). All they have to do is look for the symbol that they haven't seen before and that's how they get home. Easy!
    "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

The point of origin is easy to determind. Just look at the DHD and basically the symbol that they don't recongise has to be the point of origin
      __

__

Comment

I have a bit of a nit on that regarding the Stargate movie...
        even discounting the SG 1 series

after finding the address with the missing PoO they still would have been able to go home!

they already have the address, so there's 39 - 6 = 33 combinations for them to try to get home!

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
          The point of origin is easy to determind. Just look at the DHD and basically the symbol that they don't recongise has to be the point of origin
          That would be the easy explanation, and I know it is usually right but sometimes the Point of Origin is a glyph that is on all the stargates. For example, the PoO for the planet in Shades of Grey was Triangulum and that is on the earth Stargate. And the PoO for Chulak or Apophis' ship is Serpens Caput which is also a glyph used on Earths Stargate.

So, really it is a good question....which might have to be asked to a member of the production team.

Or of course I could be totally wrong and there is a way to find out the PoO....

@->-4eva Sam and Jack!<3

^ My New Siggy!!! Made by SueKay! ^

Comment

Originally posted by Col_Lake
            I have a bit of a nit on that regarding the Stargate movie...
            even discounting the SG 1 series

after finding the address with the missing PoO they still would have been able to go home!

they already have the address, so there's 39 - 6 = 33 combinations for them to try to get home!
            You have to put that down to Emmerich and Devlin don't write the best stories (*cough*Godzilla ), how they wrote Stargate is a miracle

Comment

Originally posted by Col_Lake
              so there's 39 - 6 = 33 combinations for them to try to get home!

No there has to be more combinations than that . If it was that easy, why didn't Jack have Daniel just sit and try all of the combinations until they found the one that worked?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jadestar9
                No there has to be more combinations than that . If it was that easy, why didn't Jack have Daniel just sit and try all of the combinations until they found the one that worked?
                No, Col_Lake is right.

They had the first 6 symbols, so all they had to do was pick one more from the remaining 33... it's E&D's fault!

Comment

OK. I could almost buy this argument, Except...

I don't remember the episode, but they gate in and almost instantly Jack tells Daniel to dial home. Daniel does it with no hesitation. No lingering on which symbol might be different, no examination of the Stargate.

He had to know it before hand.

I was wondering (hoping?) that maybe they had explained it with a: "The dialing computer analyzes the star chart of the location of the planet and detrmines what the point of origin symbol would be." It seems like it would have to be addressed somehow.

And col. Lake is right, once you know the destination, there are only 33 combinations possible. I think this was definately missed in the movie. Of course, then the movie would have been really short and no one would have watched it...

Any other thoughts?

Comment

its because the BRB is the PoO! ah let the flames commence.....

Comment

To reply to FeydJM...

When Daniel dialed the gate without hesitation wouldn't he be choosing the symbols for earth...which he already has memorized.

Maybe I am confused.
                      sigpic

Comment

ok, about the symbols- they represent stellar alinements, right? but each constilation would appear different from a different perspective, so every DHD should have a different set of 39 symbols... which means they can just memorize one set of coordinates to get home.. unless earth was the starting point taken by the ancients, and all DHDs are made in configuration with what ours had back yore...
                        Suffer, for it is your reward.

Comment

Originally posted by Penance
                          ok, about the symbols- they represent stellar alinements, right? but each constilation would appear different from a different perspective, so every DHD should have a different set of 39 symbols... which means they can just memorize one set of coordinates to get home.. unless earth was the starting point taken by the ancients, and all DHDs are made in configuration with what ours had back yore...
                          Either that or it would cost too much to create a new set of symbols for every single planet the SGC visits......
                          "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Originally posted by omnian
                            Either that or it would cost too much to create a new set of symbols for every single planet the SGC visits......
                            if that's the case, then we cant take any of the symbols we've seen as cannon, so that we cant assume that 'triangulum' or 'serpens caput' were used at all as points of origin...
                            Suffer, for it is your reward.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                              its because the BRB is the PoO! ah let the flames commence.....
                              I used to think that the BRB was the PoO as well, but then I saw one episode(forget which one) where the person dialing punched 7 buttons and then the BRB. My personal theories on the PoO are that they either scan the symbols with the MALP before going through and determine the PoO that way, or the PoO symbol is in a standard location on the DHD. Another possible explanation, and possibly a way around the stellar perspective issue, is that the coordinates for Earth are in the same place on all DHDs. That way, even if the symbols for the constellations themselves are different you would still know where you are going. Those are my theories anyway, but I think the only way to know for sure would be to get an answer from the makers of the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X