This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate theme song used for new movie?

Was just browsing trailers on Apple.com and i noticed this new big budget movie from paramount 'Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow'. for some really odd reason, the background/theme music in the trailer is the stargate theme song. Any ideas why? Check it out at:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...rldoftomorrow/

I did a search, and i think i spotted it first

-Ryan

this has been discussed quite a bit. we think (as far as i can gather) that its because the film hasnt had its own music done yet, and since its owned by paramount, its borrowing music from stargate.
    Suffer, for it is your reward.

Comment

Because paramount has absoloutely everything to do with the Stargate Franchise

Note: 99.9% of all trailers use un-original music for their trailers as the music for the movie has not yet been written. Van Helsing, Spider-Man 2, The Day After Tomorrow etc all use other music.

It's just a trailer. these movies are not staking any claim to the themes they use in their trailers. There will be no use of the Stargate theme tune in the movie itself.

I remember when "Warriros of Virture" came out they used the Stargate theme tune from the movie. I couldn't place the music as it was before my Stargating times, but I loved the music and wondered what it was. My friend and I were looking forward to seeing it and the music was great.

A few months later Stargate was on TV and I happened to watch a scene, the caravan to Nagada, it was then that I recognised the music from the Warriors of Virture trailer.

A bit of Trivia, Teryl Rothery was in "The Warriors of Virtue" also.

Music from Stargate has been used in trailers for the following movies:

• Dragonheart (1995) - Theatrical Trailer
      • Independence Day (1996) - Theatrical Trailer
      • Jumanji (1995) - Theatrical Trailer
      • Lost in Space (1998) - Theatrical Trailer
      • The Man in the Iron Mask (1998) - Theatrical Trailer
      • Mighty Joe Young (1998) - Theatrical Trailer
      • The Mummy (1999) - Theatrical Trailer
      • Volcano (1997) - Theatrical Trailer
      • Warriors of Virtue (1997) - Theatrical Trailer
      • Waterworld (1995) - Theatrical Trailer
      • Mission to Mars (2000) - TV Trailer
      • Titan A.E. (2000) - TV Trailer
      • Dungeons & Dragons (2000) - Theatrical Trailer
      • Deep Rising (1998) - TV Trailer
      • The Time Machine (2002) - Theatrical Trailer
      • Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (2002) - TV Trailer
      • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) - Teaser Trailer

It's such an uplifting theme that it cannot not be used. it's probably one of the most used movie soundtracks in a trailer.

PS. Stargate is an MGM franchise and nothing to do with Paramount as far I am concerned.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
      from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

As far as I know, Paramount has never had any releations with Stargate and the show. It's all property of MGM
        __

__

Comment

Hi there Ryandoyle,

This music has, as been noted, used in a lot of trailers. There is a reason for this - Darren posted it once (this topic comes up about once a month, I've lost count of the number of times Sky Captain thread has been posted!), but I've forgotten. I'll see if I can job his memory for you.
          sigpic

Comment

The reason is simple. The company's pay the buck for the license to use the music they want in their trailers. Not all music can be purchased easily. George Lucas would not allow the use of his Star Wars theme in other trailers.

Comment

But then, who would want to use the Star Wars theme to advertise their (non-Star Wars) movie? It's just too recognizeable as the theme from Star Wars... Everyone knows it.
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Kevin Smith may have wanted to use it for "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" Might have wanted to use Star Wars music in their trailers. According to Soundtrack.net they did not, but I seem to recall they played up on the Star Wars idea with their advertising campaign.

"If you see one movie this year, see Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, If you see two movies this year see Star Wars: The Phantom meance and Austin Powers 2".

Comment

Waterworld (1995) - Theatrical Trailer

Ahhhh! Its a shame such a great theme song was used to promote such a bad movie.

Comment

Originally posted by ryandoyle
                    Was just browsing trailers on Apple.com and i noticed this new big budget movie from paramount 'Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow'. for some really odd reason, the background/theme music in the trailer is the stargate theme song. Any ideas why? Check it out at:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramo...rldoftomorrow/

I did a search, and i think i spotted it first

-Ryan

That's what i noticed. It kinda jerked me off. Just .. kinda disrespectful ... But It sounded great though.
                    TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Didn't The Polar Express also include Stargate music? Or was that some other kind of music that I actually knew? For some reason that trailer sticks out in my mind of having music I knew.
                      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
                        Didn't The Polar Express also include Stargate music? Or was that some other kind of music that I actually knew? For some reason that trailer sticks out in my mind of having music I knew.
                        Yes, the poloar express trailer did use stargate music. But guys/gals, if you want to really veiw an AWESOME trailer try THIS
                        Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

From the FilmScoreMonthly.com FAQ:

Q: What was the music I heard in a trailer to an upcoming film?

A: Motion picture trailers today are almost always produced independent of the actual films they are advertising. Certain pieces of music have become very popular amongst these trailer production companies for their ability to "sell" a movie and convey a lot of emotion in a short period of time -- hence they are frequently used in trailers to unrelated pictures.

In that FAQ (in further answer to that Q) they have a link to this site: http://www.soundtrack.net/trailers which has a list of movies and what music (both original and not) was used in which trailers.

Comment

Dragging this thread out of the morgue because I just know people are going to scream and b**** and moan and whine about how CHICKEN LITTLE STOLE STARGATE'S THEME!!!

Saw the trailer when I went to see Wallace and Gromit (a so-so flick) and part of the original movie score makes it into part of the "carnage" sequence. Hard to hear, but if you know to listen for it, you'll know.

Oh, and how come nobody told me one of the Madagascar penguins was named Kowalski??!

Comment

I've noticed, although not recently, that some movie trailers have used music from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, most notably: Aliens.
                              Don't green it unless you mean it.

Comment

Working...
                              X