This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardest character to write

I'm curious as to if other fanfic writers have the same problem as I.
    I find it really hard to write 'Sam' in my stories. I can't get into her head like the other characters. Watching from the show, the impression that I get from her that she's full of contradictions. Her reactions are more inconsistent than the rest. We often don't get to see her thinking for herself as she'll most often obey orders.

Therefore for all the rest of you;

Which for you is the hardest character to write and why?
    Honk if you love cheese

While I agree that Sam is the most difficult, they all have their unique problems. I don't think laterally enough to do Daniel justice, it takes me ages to be flippant and irreverent enough for Jack and getting Teal'c to say anything takes real effort.

Gotta ask why I ever thought writing fic would be a good idea!

Comment

I think Stargate has some of the hardest characters to write correctly. Like you said, Sam's reactions are really inconsistant and most of her actions contridict themselves. And with Daniel, people really don't give him enough credit. I've read very few fics that I feel do the character of Daniel justice.

But, the hardest has to be Teal'c. Everything I have him say comes out wrong!

Comment

it used to be teal'c for me, but now it's daniel. I write sam a lot, same with jack but i've always had a hard time getting into daniel's head.

jonas, jonas can be a bit tough simply because he was around for such a short time, but in degrees of difficulty

daniel
        jonas
        teal'c
        jack
        sam
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Which for you is the hardest character to write and why?[/QUOTE]

Jonas. Definately Jonas. Poor dearly departed, I barely knew him.... <insert sad icon, here>(hey, how come there's no sad icon?).

Sam is the easiest one for me to write for, with Jack a close second.

Teal'c is just plain fun to write, as his canvas is essentially clean; I can do pretty much anything I want with him. I love that I can look at the mundane through alien eyes and re-discover that naive, childlike awe/confusion that even the simplest things used to elicit in me.

Daniel is harder, though I think I'm getting the hang of him, now, enough to feature him much more in the fic I'm presently struggling with.
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Which for you is the hardest character to write and why?[/QUOTE]

Jonas. Definately Jonas. Poor dearly departed, I barely knew him.... <insert sad icon, here>(hey, how come there's no sad icon?).

Sam is the easiest one for me to write for, with Jack a close second.

Teal'c is just plain fun to write, as his canvas is essentially clean; I can do pretty much anything I want with him. I love that I can look at the mundane through alien eyes and re-discover that naive, childlike awe/confusion that even the simplest things used to elicit in me.

Daniel is harder, though I think I'm getting the hang of him, now, enough to feature him much more in the fic I'm presently struggling with.
            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Jack, for me is the easiest character to write. He is the teammember that I feel I understand more than the rest and it's his arguements and train of thought that'll ring true for me.

Daniel and Teal'c are joint second. Teal'c is very subtle, but very precise at the same time. I'm getting better at Daniel, but I find snarky Daniel easier to write than other facets of his personality. I also find it easier to write Jack/Daniel banter than Daniel's POV.
              Honk if you love cheese

Comment

I find Teal'c the hardest to write, before I started writing I though he'd be easiest but I actually find myself coming up with ways to get rid of him for a while so I won't have to write him. Jack's quite difficult to write sometimes because of his flippancy but sometimes, when I'm feeling really sarcastic I can write him okay. Daniel's not too bad but I'm nowhere near as logical as he is but I defiantely find Sam the easiest to write, apart from the technobabble, I don't have a snowball in hell's chance of writing that!!
                I am not disorganised, I have anti-systematic methodology disorder.

Comment

Daniel's a toughy; it's that dry humour that's so hard to capture. Teal'c is the worst though, because it becomes so easy for him to fade and you have to really work at keep him foregrounded without being too chatty. Basically, it's the challenge of writing fic for a character who exists principally in the non-verbal performance of the actor.

Pitfall #2 of course is not to have him react to everything by raising his eyebrow.

I've never had a problem with Sam. The writers do seem to have a slight problem with giving her emotional responses without collapsing, but I think the trick is to just accept that she is in fact mildly schizophrenic and run with it.

Jonas...I love writing for Jonas, and particularly for Jonas and Sam together. Fab as Daniel can be to write, Sam and Jonas just had the best chemistry (in a non-shippy sense).
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                    Teal'c is the worst though, because it becomes so easy for him to fade and you have to really work at keep him foregrounded without being too chatty. Basically, it's the challenge of writing fic for a character who exists principally in the non-verbal performance of the actor.

Exactly. I have that very same problem too. I like writing a later season Teal'c where some of that great humour shines through.

I have never attempted to write Jonas. I don't think I've watched enough Season 6 to do it. I did like the character, but I prefer writting Daniel as I know how he phrases words together in a sentance.
                    Honk if you love cheese

Comment

Originally posted by Sparki101
                      Exactly. I have that very same problem too. I like writing a later season Teal'c where some of that great humour shines through.
                      I did have fun writing Teal'c in my First Life series. It's tough trying to get one character right without the other three. He did kind of end up being the square one even among the Jaffa.
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

i love writing teal'c because i tend to make him more of an ornry smart *** than he is on the show. my teal'c tends to treat jack like an indulgent parent with an energetic child...letting them run with things then reigning them in with a precisely placed word or two
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by avatar
                          I think Stargate has some of the hardest characters to write correctly. Like you said, Sam's reactions are really inconsistant and most of her actions contridict themselves. And with Daniel, people really don't give him enough credit. I've read very few fics that I feel do the character of Daniel justice.

But, the hardest has to be Teal'c. Everything I have him say comes out wrong!
                          Major Clanger writes Daniel very well.
                          Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

The ones I have the most trouble with are Jack and Teal'c. I can get the humor of Jack easily enough, but the personality is a little tougher. Plus, he's become so closed off in later seasons, adds a new level of difficulty.

Teal'c... as said by others, it's too easy to do what TPTB do and let him fade into the background. It's hard to get a grasp of his character brcause pf tjat... I don't feel we've been given an awful lot to distinguish him as a character, at least not on a day-to-day basis. Big things, maybe, but little things? Hard to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                              I've never had a problem with Sam. The writers do seem to have a slight problem with giving her emotional responses without collapsing, but I think the trick is to just accept that she is in fact mildly schizophrenic and run with it.
                              That's exactly the way to write Sam. She's pulled between the military and science aspects of what they're doing. She realizes that as a military operation they have to do things a certain way, but that way doesn't always fit with the scientific way. She's also pulled between being a soldier, and what she thinks that means and then also being a woman, with all that she feels she has to suppress. As I tend to be mildly schizophrenic myself, I don't find Sam difficult to write at all.

Jack is easy, because his personality is very similar to my husband's. As I've lived with that for almost 20 years, I just think about how hubs would respond and I have it down.

Daniel is very much like one of my closest friends in high school, so that's easy too.

Teal'c is fun to write, because he's pretty much a blank slate. But he does tend to see things from a different perspective than the Tau'ri, and that's always fun to play with.

Frasier is easy too. Personality wise, this is the character that I'm most like. It's as if I can almost hear her talking in my head.

The toughest for me to write is General Hammond. I haven't known or been around to many people like him, so it's hard for me to get a feeling for the character.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X