This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rank the seasons

I'm curious to see how people rank the seasons (best to worst) and why.

Mods: if you feel this thread is too similar to the fave season thread, I bow to your superior wisdom. (And to the snake in Lord Clangu'ur's head)

My list:

Best
    3- The characters were well developed, and the actors had made the parts their own. Even my least liked eps of this season were well written. Complex stories, moral ambiguity, witty repartee, and a team of people who all showed that they genuinely cared for one another (more than they are supposed to). Stargate at its best.

2- A close second- lost out to season 3 for a few reasons. The production values did not always rise to the quality of the concepts and writing, the writing wasn't quite as good, and what genius decided a clips show would be a good season finale?!?

1- The show was finding its footing and establishing its universe. It was very strong for a first season, but a bit rough because it had the job of establishing many new characters and making the transition from the movie-verse to the series-verse. Very impressed with the character development that allowed a disparate group of damaged people to bond as a team and as a surogate family. VFX and sets sometimes great, sometimes cheesy.

Middling
    6- This season beats out 5 in that there were more excellent eps- Changeling, Abyss, UnSel. And Teal'c got lines.

5- Not a horrible season, but inconsistent in writing and characterization. Daniel seemed to be written more and more out of the character established over the previous seasons (and not in a believable or good way). Nothing too dire, nothing brilliant.

My lowest ranked seasons I suspect both suffered from pressures from their respective networks

4- Showtime execs thought a hot babe and romance were just what every sci-fi show needs. We got Anise and the establishment of overt ship. Aside from those eps, the storytelling maintained a level of creativity and complexity.

Sharkbait
    7- Look at SciFi's other original productions this past season. Think about it... stories got stupid and cliche, dialog got crude, characterizations became one dimensional, and romance got pushed as plot- hey it requires no brainpower to process. Tell me there is no connection.

In support of season 7, I will say that visually, it was excellent. Some very good VFX, and beautiful location shots. Its a pity they did not have the writing to merit the excellence of the crew and the talents of the actors. I hope we have seen the low point for the series.

Best: Season 4. This is when I really got into the show, became obsessed and joined this forum.

2nd: Season 3. The characters were well developed by this time and they were beginning to build story arcs from the previous season

3rd: Season 2. Many story arcs were started in this season

4th: Season 1. Show was just getting established so while it was interesting had not really formed any attachment to the characters.

5th: Season 6. Seemed to breath new life into the show, back to where it was around Season 3

6th: Season 7. The first half was a little slow and disjointed, but it picked up in the second half and became more like the Stargate that I started watching.

7th: Season 5. Everyone seemed a little tired and jaded, as if they needed a break.
    sigpic

Comment

Best - I guess this would have to be between season four through six despite some lacked efforts in season five. The show got interesting when the Ancients were discovered and other great storylines started kicking in

Middle - Have to be season two. The very basics were produced through tthis season including the meeting with the Asgard

Not So Great - Season 5. Some of the storylines were poor and could have been much better

Everything else falls in middle class
      __

__

Comment

Best - season 3. This was a strong season in that it had solid story arcs, and felt 'tight' and really together. There was a cohesiveness there that you can feel Season 2 building towards.

Middling - season 7. So far there have been more episodes in this season that I'll probably not watch more than twice than in any other season.

Sharkbait - no season as yet. Season 7 get's a so-so rating from me, but sheesh, when you compare it to the rest of the genre on TV at the moment it's head and shoulders above the competition!
        sigpic

Comment

Best - hands-down Season Three - followed by Season One and Two
          Middle - Season Four
          Worst - Season Five, Season Six, Season Seven, in that order.

Anyone else see a trend?
          ~bri~

Comment

Best: Season 2. I first started watching Stargate during the Monday night repeats on Sci-Fi. I caught the last couple of season 1 episodes, than on to season 2. And, this is my personal favorite. The best episode of all time (The Fifth Race) wonderful team interaction, and the best episodes to show the truly wonderful and loving friendship of Jack and Daniel. Most of my favorite episodes are in this season. The Fifth Race (of course), Need, Singularity, Secrets, Serpent's Lair, Serpent's Song, One False Step, Show and Tell, Holiday. Just love the season to bits.

Pretty good: Season 3. Still some good episodes. Jack and Daniel are still friends. Not quite the enthusiasm I had for season 2, but I'm still happy.

neck and neck: 4 and 5. There were a few good episodes here. Upgrades (until they decided to recreate history for one of the worst things to happen on this show) Menace, Window of Opportunity, The First Ones. But, season 4 introduced the vile J/S ship. (Sorry, people who love it. That's what I think of it). Season 5 saw MS make the decision to leave the show, and the worst thing was, I could see why. There was a rift between Jack and Daniel.

Shark bait: Season 7. The ship, which was already hinted at too strongly in season 4 was now front and center. It turned Sam into a barbie doll, making moo eyes at her superior officer. It turned Jack into a cold *******, the show became Samgate. Sure, there were some decent episodes in the first half, but the second, even episodes that could have been good were destroyed by the ship. Jack and Daniel friends? Not in this season. Does Jack know who Daniel is? The guy who absolutely could show emotion for his friend (and could still show it for others on his team) seemed to have disappeared, and I don't buy that because he's a military guy, he doesn't show emotion. I've seen season 2. And, if he has devolved in honor of the all sacred change (change without reason, change without believeability, just change to say, "ooh, lookie, we've changed) he's not someone I want to know. Plus, he's gradually become dumber and dumber. Oh, and the worst episode of all time regarding actual SG1 characters (not counting stupid spoofs) happened here. Grace.

Seasons I don't really have an opinion about: Season 1. I caught that after I had seen most of the seasons, and I can take it or leave it.

Season 6: There was a season 6? Abyss was fantastic.
            Last edited by Dani347; 04 May 2004, 09:12 AM.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Best - Season 4: I could watch it in one go without having to skip a single episode (I think). Season 6 is close behind.

Middle - Season 7, Season 3, Season 5 (in that order): Not too bad, but there are either several cringeworthy episodes, or the episodes tend to be boring.

Worst - Season 2, Season 1: Those are the seasons I watched first, and I really began to like Stargate with them, but I watch them rarely on DVD.
              No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
              (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Originally posted by sgeureka
                Middle - Season 7, Season 3, Season 5 (in that order): Not too bad, but there are either several cringeworthy episodes, or the episodes tend to be boring.
                Hope you don't mind me asking, but I adore season 3, so I have to know what you find cringeworthy and boring in that season? It's OK - not going to argue with you. Just interested in hearing another point of view.
                sigpic

Comment

Best -- Season 4 -- I just loved everything they did in that season.
                  Season 6 -- After having see all the episode Jonas really breathed new life into the show for me.
                  Season 3 -- overall it was a good season but IMO they just didn't shine quite as much as 4 or 6

Middle -- Season 2, 7, 5, 1 -- Generally speaking these seasons all clump together, with 2 above the rest becuase it had several really good episodes.
                  IMO in S5 almost all the episodes were solid but nothing stood out from the crowd as being truely great, so it was more or less a lack luster season.
                  I put season 1 at the bottom because all the characters were new and they hadn't gotten into their roles like we know and love them untill the end.
                  S7 has gone up the ranks as I've gone back and rewatched the first half, and with episodes like Heroes and TLC, DK, and Evol. it had some strong episodes that I really enjoyed.

Shark Bait -- Just about anything else on TV
                  ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                  The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by xathras
                    I'm curious to see how people rank the seasons (best to worst) and why.
                    Season 1: #1
                    Season 2: #1
                    Season 3: #1 (let me know when you see the pattern )

Just my opinion, but ranking the seasons is like ranking the rungs on a ladder.
                    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

first - season 2 i must say, the show definately hit their stride in the second season. with episodes like a matter of time, the fifth race, and the meeting of new characters such as the tok'ra, thor, jacob, it proved to be a show "worthy" of viewing.

second - season 4 the season premier justifies this...replicators. the episode where we have the first harry jack teaming :-) plus...sorry but shipper all the way >.< yeah there was a lot of very obvious s/j going on here. episodes like the "s/j arch", window of opportunity, tangent, point of no return, serpent's venom and double jeopardy helped boost this season.

third - season 5 though the episodes in this season were all (well the majority...) just wow...they didn't really relate as much as they did in previous season (bar season 3)

fourth - season 6 i'm one of those immature fans who adore RDA...sorry. however...there are enough good episodes this season to save it...abyss, paradise lost, prometheus, allegiance, the other guys, descent, disclosure, full circle.

fifth - season 3 a lot of the eps were just...mehhh. there were too few highlights for this season...lacks what i like to call the stargate "umph"

sixth - season 1 hey...developing everything. some characters were still a little shaky and some immature storylines. an admirable first season but not really the best first season i've seen for shows ie voyager, andromeda, earth:fc etc...(then again...they did all end up really bad in later seasons...)

seventh - season 7 yeah...if the lack of RDA disappointed me in season 6...yeah. though there were other disappointing aspects, for instance i think that anubis was a tad bit cliched (though i love how they point this fact out ^_^), some characters now seem "out of character", and some episodes go off to some point that i just don't feel like sitting through the show. however it's not to say that there weren't good episodes...fallen/homecoming, heroes, evolution, lost city, fragile balance.
                      My flickr photography.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                        ranking the seasons is like ranking the rungs on a ladder.
                        LOL good analogy!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brihana25
                          Best - hands-down Season Three - followed by Season One and Two
                          Middle - Season Four
                          Worst - Season Five, Season Six, Season Seven, in that order.

Anyone else see a trend?

I couldn't have put it better.

And in fact, I didn't.

Yes, Season three wins hands down for me. The characters were developed and the show itself was heading nicely in a direction which I philosophically enjoyed and agreed with. That helps quite a lot in one's enjoyment of a show, I find!

Followed by Seasons one and two, in that order. I like one better than two because I think the overall quality of the individual shows is slightly higher. There were some truly stand out eps, including Torment of Tantalus, my all time favourite. Season two was a little inconsistent, with a couple of real clunkers.

Next, season four. Despite an obvious shift in emphasis, the stories themselves were still mostly thought provoking and engaging. After that, season five... lost a lot of the spark that made the show special, became quite repetetive and predictable. Missed a lot of obvious opportunities.

Bottom of the pile, seasons six and seven. Not sure which order. There are a few season seven episodes which rank fairly high in my estimation, but the end of the season really killed it for me. On the other hand, I can only think of three or four season 6 eps that I would rewatch with pleasure. On balance, I think I would put season 6 at the bottom of the heap.

Comment

Best: Seasons 2 and 3. I really can't draw a line between these, they were both outstanding.

Then Season 1: a couple of weak episodes but generally excellent

Then the first half of Season 7: with many excellent episodes and only one real clunker. Sadly the second half of the season really didn't live up to the promise of the first.

Season 4: several episodes that were real mistakes but also some excellent ones.

Season 5: more consistent than 4, not so many clunkers but generally a bit of a disappointment.

The second half of Season 7, generally disappointing but boosted by some excellent acting in Heroes, and some good team moments in Chimera and the Lost City.

Season 6: Two outstanding episodes, 3 or 4 others that were acceptable but otherwise a season full of eminently missable episodes. Definitely not up to the usual Stargate standard.

SallyK

Comment

Best to worst

Season 3
                              Season 4
                              Season 2
                              Season 1
                              Season 7
                              Season 6
                              Season 5

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment