This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Did You Become Hooked?

Let's hear how you became hooked on Stargate! I'm constantly amazed by how many people say they weren't seeking it out, or hated their first dose, and gradually became an addict.

My story:
    Saturday night. 10:30. I was eagerly awaiting Poltergeist: The Legacy during syndication hours. The scene opens to a group of soldiers playing a deck of cards. Soon a sheet unveils a massive ring... It opens.

My introduction to Stargate. I remained glued to the TV for the first hour and taped the second. Little did I realize it was SG-1 airing it's first-ever night in syndication. I have never looked back.

Wow, that's old school!

I was in college, and made a trip to the grocery store. I remember seeing TV Guide in the check-out line, with a brief story about how they were making a TV series based off "Stargate," with MacGyver. I was totally excited about it (loved the movie, loved RDA in MacGyver and Legend), then I read it was on Showtime. Ah, well.

A year and a half later, I was graduated and living in corporate apartments in downtown Chicago -- away from home, first job. The apartment came with cable and free Showtime! I knew instinctively to seek out SG-1, and loved it from the get-go. That was early/mid-Season Two, and they were still showing lots of Season One reruns on Saturdays. (Even a few mini-marathons.)

I still can't remember exactly which was the first episode I saw. I think it was somewhere in the TBFTGOG-Politics-WTSG trilogy.
    Last edited by Darren; 03 May 2004, 07:07 PM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I liked the movie, and thought that there was more fun to be had in that universe, so I was excited when I heard about the series... but at the time, I couldn't afford cable, let alone premium channels. When it finally reached syndcation, it was shown at really inconvenient times, so I never caught more than a few minutes of it. Again, it looked interesting, but the little bits I'd seen suggested there was a fair bit of backstory and mythology that I'd missed (kree this, goa'uld that, eh??). It was still on at a lousy time, so I didn't watch.

When SciFi started their Monday marathons, I was unemployed. The first marathon I watched was interesting if spotty (Emancipation). The following Monday, the jury was still out, until Cold Lazarus. That's when I got hooked.

Comment

Well I loved the movie and heard that they were making it into a series and was intrigued but I didn't have Showtime. I pretty much forgot about it and wasn't even aware that it had gone into syndication until I was pacing the floor with my newborn son who had colic and hadn't stopped screaming for about 3 hours. I was nearly psychotic from lack of sleep and the ringing echo of baby screams inside my head when, lo and behold, at 1:00 a.m. Stargate came on. And even more of a miracle when the opening music started my son stopped crying.

That first episode was Window of Opportunity which I think partly explains why I turned out to be a shipper. And it turned out that the Stargate theme was one of the very few things that could stop my son from screaming. It was love at first sight.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Hmmm, well my dad watched the show and I would always sit up and watch it with him during its first season in syndication, even though I didn't really pay attention (I was just 10 at the time).

Then TbftGoG came on and I really liked it, I started paying more attention to it and had my dad record the episodes.

Then almost 2 years ago I was staying with my dad for a week, he was at work, the satellite was out so I was bored to tears (back before I discovered the joys of the internet) so I put my obsessive compulsive skills to good use and started organizing his tapes.

Wasn't long before I was hooked and started looking online for a bit more info about the show...
          ** Dax

Slowly but surely
          regaining my post count.

Dax(ie)Parrot the Very Bored Wierdie Nitty Bluie Alien Purple THUNK Fan

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
            That first episode was Window of Opportunity which I think partly explains why I turned out to be a shipper.
            And the first episode I ever saw was "Point of View" and I'm *not* a shipper!!?? Maybe it was the wig. It was really scary.

I stumbled across Stargate in syndication, recognized the characters from the movie and kept watching. I was fascinated by the connection of the scifi aspects of the story to Earth's history the fact that it was set in present day. I started watching Stargate in season 3 reruns and they were mixing up all the episodes so I came online to find out more of the backstory. I became totally hooked and proceeded to get season 1 DVD's to try and catch up.

Watching Stargate really revived my interest in the scifi genre and I have susequently caught up on Farscape and taped and watched all of Babylon 5. I would have never done either except for Stargate.

P.S. At first glance I thought the thread title was "How Did You Become a Hooker?"
            Last edited by keshou; 03 May 2004, 09:09 PM.
            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Take two parts "Star Trek" fan, one part Egyptophile, who loved the movie "Stargate", and one and 1/2 parts "McGuyver" nut. I was doomed before it aired.
              Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

P.S. At first glance I thought the thread title was "How Did You Become a Hooker?" [/QUOTE]

Well, I started watching the first "Star Trek" when I was very young and fell in love with those skimpy outfits.....
                Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Kes
                  P.S. At first glance I thought the thread title was "How Did You Become a Hooker?"

Well, it's a sad tale of despair. I was down on my luck, no one to turn to....
                  Oh, wait. Wrong question
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I was fliping around one night and caught Unnatural Selection, I loved the moral ambiguity of the episode, and the whole plot so when I noticed that scifi was really pushing the show I started tuning in when I could. I caught Nemesis on thru WoO at which point I started looking online for more info. By the time s6 was 3/4 over I had ordered s1 and s2 and was anxiously waiting for s3

Oh yes and over the summer I got my parents hooked too
                    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by David
                      My story:
                      Saturday night. 10:30. I was eagerly awaiting Poltergeist: The Legacy during syndication hours.

That's *exactly* how it started for me! I was watching Polt Leg on Showtime, and when they premiered Stargate... I just kept the channel on. From the first ep on, I was intrigued and entertained. I immediately felt the sparkage between Sam and Jack. I immediately liked every character and actor. By the second ep, I realized I was leaning towards Sam being my fave character and Jack being my drool-worthy toy. By the third ep, Sam *had* become my fave character. By the fourth, I was officially an S/J shipper. The rest is history.

Sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kes

LOL! The first thing that crossed my mind when I'd read the subject was about being hooked on drugs.

Sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                          I'll try not to dissapoint you next time, Hatusu

Comment

I caught the premiere episode on Showtime right after I graduated highschool. I became a fan of the show watching seasons 1&2 while living with my folks. Alas, when I moved out I didn't have cable and missed most of season 3 and all of seasons 4,5, and 6. I was reintroduced to SG-1 when I had to move back home, and through massive doses(thank God for SG mondays on SciFi) I became addicted. I watched all of the first half of season 7 before I moved out again with no cable. However, being the junkie that I am now, I did what any good junkie would: I bummed it from a buddy. I watched the rest of season 7 at a friends place and I borrowed seasons 4,5, and 6 from another friend to catch up. So now I find myself having seen all but 2 season 7 episodes out of the entire series and it's making me crazy, lol. At least I only have to suffer withdrawl for another 2 months or so.

Comment

I started watching at the end of season six. I had a neighbor that I could NOT stand who loved the show and I basically was childish and refused to watch. How could she & I EVER like the same thing.
                              Then she moved - and Sci-Fi started running it in reruns and the first episode I saw was Window of Opportunity. I laughed so much watching that episode I started scanning the TV Guide so I would know when this was on. It was fantastic!! Then one night Sci-Fi was promoing season seven with "The Lowdown" I was a happy fan of the show prior to that but once I watched THAT and how the actors were with each other, Amanda Tapping killed me with her Macgyver moment in the blooper moment of solitudes. That is was hooked me lock stock and barrel on the show. I watch the Sci-Fi boards but everyone was so negative to each other that I didn't go there much. Then I found Gateworld!! That hooked me on fandom. Since that moment I have been just about obsessed. This last year I can finally say I am the proud owner of all 6 seasons that are out on DVD and pretty much every weekend will find me and my husband watching at least 5 episodes.
                              Slowly but surely I am converting my co-workers.......I am up to five now and I am working on number 6...they have rented the movie WOO HOO
                              Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Working...
                              X