This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why isn't Loki evil?

Loki is one of the major deities in the Norse pantheon. He is a son of the giant Farbauti ("cruel striker") and the giantess Laufey. He is regarded as one of Aesir, but is on occasion their enemy. He is connected with fire and magic, and can assume many different shapes (horse, falcon, fly). He is crafty and malicious, but is also heroic: in that aspect he can be compared with the trickster from North American myths. The ambivalent god grows progressively more unpleasent, and is directly responsible for the death of Balder, the god of light.
    Loki's mistress is the giantess Angrboda, and with her he is the father of three monsters. His wife is Sigyn, who stayed loyal to him, even when the gods punished him for the death of Balder. He was chained to three large boulders; one under his shoulders, one under his loins and one under his knees. A poisonous snake was placed above his head. The dripping venom that lands on him is caught by Sigyn in a bowl. But every now and then, when the bowl is filled to the brim, she has to leave him to empty it. Then the poison that falls on Loki's face makes him twist in pain, causing earthquakes.
    On the day of Ragnarok, Loki's chains will break and he will lead the giants into battle against the gods. Loki is often called the Sly One, the Trickster, the Shape Changer, and the Sky Traveler.
    Why couldn’t he be an evil Asgard, instead of some scientist trying to help the Asgard evolutionary process? Loki being a scientist doesn’t match up at all with his status in mythology, IMO.

And he killed Baldyr in mythology.

The malicious trickster, Loki, was jealous of Balder. He changed his appearance and asked Frigg if there was absolutely nothing that could harm the god of light. Frigg, suspecting nothing, answered that there was just one thing: a small tree in the west that was called mistletoe. She had thought it was too small to ask for an oath. Loki immediately left for the west and returned with the mistletoe. He tricked Balder's blind twin brother Hod into throwing a mistletoe fig (dart) at Balder. Not knowing what he did, Hod threw the fig, guided by Loki's aim. Pierced through the heart, Balder fell dead.

While the gods were lamenting Balder's death, Odin sent his other son Hermod to Hel, the goddess of death, to plead for Balder's return. Hel agreed to send Balder back to the land of the living on one condition: everything in the world, dead or alive, must weep for him. And everything wept, except for Loki, who had disguised himself as the witch Thokk. And so Balder had to remain in the underworld.
    Maybe Hermod and Hel could be Asgard rebels.

i think the main idea with the asgard is that they may have influenced human history a little and humans adopted some of them as gods, but not in the sense of the goa'uld who actually stayed here on earth

Comment

Well, some folks would consider experimenting on unwilling sentient subjects evil.

Comment

I've always considered Loki to be more mischevious than truly evil. A prankster, if you will. Maybe he is the Asgard version of Felger?
        Nmom
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom
          I've always considered Loki to be more mischevious than truly evil. A prankster, if you will. Maybe he is the Asgard version of Felger?
          Nmom
          1) Yes Loki was a trickster but he also brought on Ragnarok (the apocolispse)
          2) Felger's not a trickster just a screw-up.
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

hes not evil
            hes just trying t save his race
            altho hes not going t best way about it
            hes just took it upon himself t do wat other asgard wont,
            i mean its totally wrong and he has a lack of morality but hes not evil
            deffinatly an asgard felger, trying t do the right thing but not quite getting it right!
            luv Thera xxx

Comment

I see Loki more like the guy in Reserrection. Trying to do good, but doing it in an amoral fashion.

IMO the only reason he doesn't come across with the same "evilness" is because he's a little grey guy and he's not a human actor. He did have the intent and forethought of using amoral means, two things Felger didn't have.
              ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
              The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

But it would be pretty cool if there were an evil Asgard like Hel or Fenrir!

Comment

erm.. Evil and Good are relative. I'm certain some people who are considered evil don't think of themselves as evil.
                  The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Performing unsanctioned human experiments on earthlings, or any other race, is considered dire by my people. For that, Loki got seriously busted when we found out what he was doing. In our nearest translation it would be said that he is evil. We do not stand for that type of behavior in a race as advanced as ours.

Comment

Loki was a giant - an ettin - who befriended Odin and became his oath brother, but whose increasing bitterness and malcontent led him to betray the Aesir and ultimately resulted in Ragnarok.

An ettin, oath brother to the Aesir but betrayed them.

Goa'uld, allied with the Asgard but betrayed them.

I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again: What a waste!
                      Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                      - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

That would be good if a Asgard betrayed their race to the Gou'ald and they learned of their technologies and resources and used it against them. I'd like that to be a storyline actually, come to think of it

Loki was a prankster. He liked jokes but in a way that would help his people. A good Asgard but his intentions to others do not seem worthy
                        __

__

Comment

I thought Loki was Mischief?
                          Or is there something similar I read about Egyptian?

Comment

Loki was originally mischievous, but the only reaction he ever got from the Aesir was laughter; or recriminations for the tricks they didn't find funny. After a while this rankled and he grew bitter and resentful.

In the end his anger overflowed and he engineered the death of Baldur, who everyone loved although he never seemed to do very much. Pretty much it was downhill from there.
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I'm not very well versed in norse mythology but are there any good websites where I can read up about it or an recommended books?

Comment

Working...
                              X