This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should they have names?

So, after some time spent talking about 'Nirrti's ha'tak vessel' or 'Anubis' mothership', I decided that I would start giving at least some of the ships in my fanfics names. It just seems to give the ships that little touch of individuality.

Of course, I realise that ha'taks are pretty mass produced, so I just wondered - especially following the recent 'names for X-303s' thread - if anyone else writing fanfic does the same? Do you give your Goa'uld - and other - spaceships names?
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

What like Jack wanting to name the Prometheus "Enterprise"? I can't honestly say I've tried to individualise any of my fic-ships that much. I have enough difficulty trying to work out the generic terms for ships such as "Ha'tak" without going that extra mile. Mind you, I can't distinuish between a Robin Reliant and a Jaguar unless they are different colours... maybe the fact so much fic is written by women means any attempt to include the techie aspects of StarGate will be marginalised?

Comment

It's not so much a techie thing as a sailor thing. Ships have to be named; it's unlucky not to. Certainly the Greek Goa'uld should name their vessels, since it's an even stronger part of their world than of modern naval custom. They'd never get their Jaffa - who are nothing if not superstitious - onto an unnamed ship, gods or no.

Comment

Oh.

Oh.

Y'know, now I'm really embarrassed, being a sailor and all! But in my defence, as the human spaceships are USAF-owned presumably we should be taking a plane analogy: we still refer to those as 'Boeing 737' or whatever even if they do have a name such as "Pride of Caledonia".

As for the gould, I have no idea. I can't think of an instance in the show when they've referred to them at all. Pride of Chulak sounds a bit daft! How about Aris Boch - did he call his ship anything other than the generic term?

Comment

If I ever wrote a fic involving a goa'uld vessel which included the viewpoint of the goa'uld or one of the jaffa/workers, I probably would name it, just because I'd expect it to be named and I like trying to come up with names to suit personalities. To name something is to possess it, to say, "This is MINE." I can't imagine a goa'uld wasting an opportunity like that, especially if the name instills fear or pride. Or both.

Comment

"Ba'al, we have just destroyed the 'Anubis Mothership'."

Personally I don't like the idea of the Goa'uld naming their ships. It adds a little to much human quality to them. Plus I think that it would be a hassle. They command such large fleets, and they are constantly fueding, and taking over new ships.
            Do you really think Apophis sat down and renamed every one of Heur-ur's or Sokar's vessels when he took over?
            Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
            Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
            Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
            Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
            Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
            Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
            Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Ah, now my sailor knowledge comes into its own!

It's bad luck to re-name a ship. So Apophis might well have commanded a ship called 'Death to Apophis' if we subscribe to the thread-theory.

Comment

Originally posted by SailorSueUK
                Ah, now my sailor knowledge comes into its own!

It's bad luck to re-name a ship. So Apophis might well have commanded a ship called 'Death to Apophis' if we subscribe to the thread-theory.
                What if you capture a ship? I know the C.S.S. Virginia was known colloquially as the Merrimac even though she was officially renamed. And presumably if the ship you captured hadn't yet been christened you could give it a name yourself.

Of course, Apophis might not have cared; the Egyptians had ships, but weren't a maritime culture. Now, the Phoenician (sp?) Goa'uld...

Comment

Ah-hah! I got it:

They just saved the trouble and named them all "Kree!"
                  Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.

Comment

Originally posted by SGSlugger
                    They just saved the trouble and named them all "Kree!"
                    Which brings up the real reason they should have names:

"First Prime; order the Kree to move forward with the Kree, the Kree and the Kree on the left flank. We shall follow in the Kree to provide support, while Underlord Bob moves around the enemy position with the Kree, the Kree, the Kree, the Kree, and the Kree to take them by surprise."
                    "Yes, My Lord."
                    "Oh, and First Prime?"
                    "My Lord?"
                    "Which Kree is us again?"

Comment

Now you get into interesting territory, and I seem to have accidentally mislaid my copy of 'History of the Navy'.

I did think from my Hornblower reading that long ago Navies didn't rename vessels, and a brief look at past names for Royal Naval ship reveals things such as HMS ABEILLE and HMS INFANTA DON CARLOS which don't sound very British.List of RN ship names But over the last few centuries or so, it looks as though everyone has gone with renaming. And certainly, when warships are sold they get renamed these days. Still interested? This is how the USN goes about naming vessels... Warship naming in the US

To be able to name a captured ship before she had been named, you would have to catch her before launch, which is possible I guess.

And good point about problems giving battle orders when ships are all named the same, but for the fact that (as with planes) you can get round that with codenames. Besides, everything is done by computer these days, so orders would go to ID numbers rather than ship names.

Comment

Besides, everything is done by computer these days, so orders would go to ID numbers rather than ship names.
                        That's what I was begining to think.

Have the Goa'uld really used stragetises before? I mean they usually just show up and start blastin' away.

Comment

Gould battle fleet strategies? Absolutely.

SPOILERS FOR SEASON SIX AND SEASON SEVEN ENDERS

Full Circle - Ba'al and the combined System Lord Fleet spectacularly fail to wipe out Anubis over Abydos.

That mine one - can't remember the name - where all the Gould ships are cloaked at first.

Revelations - the Gould Fleet pound the planet to draw out the Asgard base.

Lost City Part 2 - Herak notices the exit of the SG-1 vessel into Earth's atmosphere and rather than pointlessly obliterating the USN (what threat did the carrier group pose, exactly?!) Anubis moves operations to Antarctica to try to take SG-1 out.
                          Last edited by SailorSueUK; 03 May 2004, 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                            So, after some time spent talking about 'Nirrti's ha'tak vessel' or 'Anubis' mothership', I decided that I would start giving at least some of the ships in my fanfics names. It just seems to give the ships that little touch of individuality.

Of course, I realise that ha'taks are pretty mass produced, so I just wondered - especially following the recent 'names for X-303s' thread - if anyone else writing fanfic does the same? Do you give your Goa'uld - and other - spaceships names?

In the case of the Goa'uld, I do find it peculiar that the individual ships don't reflect the god that owns them. Ra (the Movie) had a fantastic ship that suited his mythology to a Tee. But, why does Cronus fly around in a pyramid? Why does Niriti?

OTOH, if anything highlights, to me, that the Goa'uld are a parasitic species, it's the fact that most of their vessels/tech is the same no matter who the god is. It seems to me that a lack of that particular sort immagination could rightly be an achilles heel for a parasite, a weakness an Sg unit (or a fic writer) could exploit.
                            Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                            "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                            One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                            resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                            confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                            A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                            The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                              In the case of the Goa'uld, I do find it peculiar that the individual ships don't reflect the god that owns them. Ra (the Movie) had a fantastic ship that suited his mythology to a Tee. But, why does Cronus fly around in a pyramid? Why does Niriti?
                              Well, they have different statues and lighting and thrones; or in Cronus' case, the same throne but with a rug over it. It's funny; one might almost think that they were all the same set.

Comment

Working...
                              X