This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tritonin + AIDS...

Isn't it odd that the people at SGC havn't really considered the "real world" (i.e. Earth-based) implications of Tritonin... using the Immunitech cloned symbiotes (or even the symbiotes on the Unas homeworld, or has everyone forgetten about those) they could mass-produce it and use it as a treatment for all kind of immune system disorders (HIV, AIDS etc etc).

Considering the pharma industry is pretty damned secretive anyway, nobody would question where the drug came from....

I don't think they considered it because Tritonin takes over for a human's immune system. It's not a quick fix, a person who took Tritonin for AIDS would then have to take Tritonin for the rest of his life inorder to just survive because he wouldn't have an immune system without it. And there is no way to make enough of the drug to sustain a population of Earth's size

Ace
    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Well, the thing that makes AIDS so damned nasty is that it destroys the immune system, so the immune-system-killing side-effects of Tritonin wouldn't be an issue...

As for getting the symbiotes, the address of the Unas+Gu'aold homeworld is known, and I'm sure there are plenty of the things hanging around there, as well as the cloning research done by Immunotech (or whatever the hell Conrads company is called)...

EDIT: I'm not suggesting the use of Tritonin for the entire planet, only those who would actually need it...

Comment

Originally posted by Nurgle
        Well, the thing that makes AIDS so damned nasty is that it destroys the immune system, so the immune-system-killing side-effects of Tritonin wouldn't be an issue...
        Plus, the dependency was a side-effect artifically created by Egeria to try and make the Pangarans stop torturing her, wasn't it? She fixed that before she died.
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
          Plus, the dependency was a side-effect artifically created by Egeria to try and make the Pangarans stop torturing her, wasn't it? She fixed that before she died.
          No she just made her symbiotes, slightly different from the normal and they created much less potent Tretonin this less effective flaw also stoped the Tok'Ra finding a cure. Your still dependant on it though but their is a cure for your depedancy.

Also why hasn't the Tok'Ra's Get-you-off-tretinion drug been considered to stop Jaffa's dependacy on symbiotes?

Whta would happen if Teal'c/Bre'tac/Ishta's rebels took the cure?
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith

Also why hasn't the Tok'Ra's Get-you-off-tretinion drug been considered to stop Jaffa's dependacy on symbiotes?

Whta would happen if Teal'c/Bre'tac/Ishta's rebels took the cure?
            Well, I would say that it's because Jaffa have had large bits of their inside scooped out, rearranged and otherwise monkeyed with (how does Teal'c eat so much at a sitting when he has a hole in his gut? Let alone do sit-ups?), except that Ishta's lot seem to be born with the pouch, but also with a short-term immune system.

I think the answer is basically 'plot'.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

tretonin is made from the mass murder of sentient creatures.yes, it's a better option than all the jaffa dying in 10 years or so, but all they've done is exchange one addiction for another. at least in the primta mode (jaffa style) both parties survive, for better or worse.

And even if you grab a queen and convince her to make blank slate babies, all of a sudden the survival of a race comes from the murder of sentinet beings AND slavery

tretonin is a short term fix with zero to no future

it illustrates the irony of the jaffa's struggle for freedom...in attaining the end of their slavery, they are also attaining the demise of their race
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'd love for Earth, Rebel Jaffa and the Tok'Ra to really start working together.

Tok'Ra develop new weapons and tactical stuff.
                Earth has the tactics and some equipment, does all stealth and backup.
                Jaffa are the main power, uses Staffs and then dual Zats. Earth cover with snipers and stuff.

This way taking out stuff would be much easier.

Comment

goin to the goa'uld/unas homeworld is kinda dangerous.. n 2b honest not really worth it. Tritonin is like naquadriah (sp?)...its a short cut. a quick fix to a current problem. dont wanna use it too much else things could get worse.

Comment

Jacob said in The Changeling that Tretonin is only a stop-gap measure until the Tok'ra are able to devise a permenant solution, which I'm sure they are doing because if the Jaffa can be free of symbiote needs, they are truely free.

Comment

how would there explain where there got it from and what it's made of.

be kinda hard
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I thought the Tok'ra found a way to synthesize Tretonin.

Comment

Yeah that what I thought, they develop artifical drug which take the place of tritonin and could be mass produce by us for the jaffa, why we do not trade it for weapons and a few hataks for their own production facilities I do not know. And the pharma industry is resourceful so they could say they develop it by accident while researching a cure for aids, know one was question this because the industry is very protective of even their production methodlet alone the drugs they actually produce.

And also I believe the tokra are suppose to working on a perminate solution, also thought they said that the artifical version of the drug would not improve their immune system.

Comment

Because the jaffa mistrust the tauri. I believe the point was actually raised and there were objections to the idea of being free of one enslavement only to willingly subject themselves to another.

Honestly, the jaffa really are NOT advanced. They have technology they captured from the goa'uld and know how to operate and likely repair it but, by and large, I don't believe they really understand the principles behind it. Much like joe six-pack may know how to operate a computer and even perform basic repairs to windows and such but if it comes to more in depth stuff that requires understanding how it works and on a more detailed level then they're lost.

The jaffa also seems to lack any sort of serious industrial base. Certainly they have nothing on the scale of earth.

Comment

When I asked whatever happened to tretonin a few months ago, the answer came back that the Tok'ra managed to synthetize it. Which is why the Rebel Jaffa can now sustain themselves on Tretonin.

Using Tretonin to cure AIDS is a viable thing since they would die from AIDS eventually anyway. Having to take Tretonin for the rest of their lives is much better since AIDS breaks down the immune system.

Comment

Working...
                              X