This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do I....Put threads on ignore?

I may be deluded, but I vaguely remember that one of the features of the new board would be that anyone could put any trhead on ignore and not have it show up in the lists anymore. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Any help?

I don't think there's an Ignore Thread option. I'll do some research on it, though, and see if it's something we might add!
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Thanks. Seems like it shouldn't be much more than adding a thread ID to an ignore list, and a find for threads not on the user's ignore list. But I know jack about vB. Overall, I'm liking the new format.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
        I don't think there's an Ignore Thread option. I'll do some research on it, though, and see if it's something we might add!
        Ressurecting this old thread to ask if you've given any more thought to this?

With the addition of so many threads and even forums that I, for one, have no interest in, I find that the "New Posts" search is full of stuff I won't ever, ever... read while, OTOH, the threads I am interested in are either not there or are pushed so far off the list that I simply don't have time to scroll through all the pages to find them. I find that my participation on the forum has suffered as a result.

I have nothing against all these other forums, but my main interest is Stargate.

However, I find that Gateworld has lost its flavor, for me, mainly because the place is deluged with so many threads/forums that are not SG-related.

I do hope you can find a way to offer an ignore option; a forum is probably the only place where, if you can ignore something the problem goes away....

Thanks, either way.
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
          With the addition of so many threads and even forums that I, for one, have no interest in, I find that the "New Posts" search is full of stuff I won't ever, ever... read while, OTOH, the threads I am interested in are either not there or are pushed so far off the list that I simply don't have time to scroll through all the pages to find them. I find that my participation on the forum has suffered as a result.
          Same here is their a way for the new posts option to show more than 200 results?
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
            Ressurecting this old thread to ask if you've given any more thought to this?

I have nothing against all these other forums, but my main interest is Stargate.

However, I find that Gateworld has lost its flavor, for me, mainly because the place is deluged with so many threads/forums that are not SG-related.
            If you don't want to search the entire forum and include results from other shows, you can search just The Gate Room or The Briefing Room. You can even get as specific as, say, the General Discussion. This way, no OT threads or threads about other shows are included.
            gatehorse

lj here if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by gatehorse
              If you don't want to search the entire forum and include results from other shows, you can search just The Gate Room or The Briefing Room. You can even get as specific as, say, the General Discussion. This way, no OT threads or threads about other shows are included.
              The new posts search is 'http://forum.gateworld.net/search.php?do=getnew'

How do you set this to only look at a certain section?
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                The new posts search is 'http://forum.gateworld.net/search.php?do=getnew'

How do you set this to only look at a certain section?
                Have a look...

http://www.imagecabin.com/imagehost/...Faaa/94052.jpg

See the circled area with red arrow? If you click "Seach All Open Forums", that searches the entire forum. But I've clicked "General Stargate Discussion" so it will only search the general discussion. Understand now?
                gatehorse

Comment

We are talking about a new posts search that can not be done by using the advanced search page (plus you have to enter a search term to use that page)

We find new posts by clicking on the new posts button
                  love Torri

Comment

Oh, sorry, then, can't help. Although I don't see why you'd need what you're describing, cuz it tells you which threads have new posts when you look in the forum. I though new posts was to show you what's new for the whole board, and if you want to see what's new in a specific section, just look in that section...
                    gatehorse

Comment

You don't understand why someone who, say, only visits once a day might be reluctant to search through over 100+ threads trying to find the ONE or TWO that might be relevant to their interests?

I visit a lot and I still find it a pain in the ass to try and search through pages and pages worth of posts to find something to interest me.

It's easy enough to subscribe to the threads you KNOW you want to read (or at least, it WAS easy enough until the forum upgrade at the "subscribe to thread" option), but that doesn't account for the dozens of new threads that crop up daily.

"New posts" covers the entire board and you can't specify a section. And if 99% of the threads in the new posts search pulls up stuff in random stupid sections you don't even read, then it isn't a very useful tool.

But if you could go into those sections and put all the threads you don't like on ignore, you might be able to find the ones you DO like (or might like) faster. Unfortunately, I don't think it'd do a lot of good in terms of the new posts thing because it won't "remember" which threads are on your ignore list, but it could be a step in the right direction, at least.

Of course, you also have people who'd like to ignore entire SECTIONS. That probably gets a little more complicated.

Me, I'd like to ignore a few things just because I don't like them or because seeing them ticks me off.

Comment

Originally posted by xathras
                        I may be deluded, but I vaguely remember that one of the features of the new board would be that anyone could put any trhead on ignore and not have it show up in the lists anymore. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. Any help?
                        i wouldn't mind a feature like this

it would help to avoid spoilers and like shadow said ignore the threads that just bug you and get you upset ....example for me at least is the vs threads and spoiler titles
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Mal your a big fan of resurecting decade old threads, i commend you i means you use the search function well i think this would be a great idea, personally i would want to ignore the entire shipper section, in fact i try, often! but thats just me
                          sigpic
                          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                          Stargate : Genesis |
                          Original Starship DesignThread
                          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                          11000! green me

Comment

I'd quite like to put a few threads on ignore
                            sigpic
                            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

What also bugs me about the New Posts search thread is that threads that are actually quite new and that I have actually posted to are often not even included in my New Posts search. I have to remember which threads, in which categories I posted to, and I just don't have the whatchamacallit to remember what I did here yesterday.

Whereas pages and pages of New Posts in threads I've never even been to clutter up my search.

I'm complaining, yeah, but not necessairily to the forum gods. I'm sure you are doing all that you can. Forums and computers and the internet work in mysterious ways and I'm just reflecting on the overall unfairness of it all, just like in real life.
                              Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                              "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                              One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                              resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                              confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                              A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                              The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Working...
                              X