This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Navigate the Forum

GateWorld Forum's vBulletin software is very different from Delphi, which this forum used to call home. There are multiple ways to navigate between different topical folders:

1. Start on the forum home page, choose a folder, then pick a thread!

2. From any folder or thread page, use the "breadcrumbs" to navigate backward one or more levels. "Breadcrumbs" track the path you've taken from the home page, and look like this (for example):
    GateWorld Forum > The Gate Room > Atlantis - Season One

3. From most pages within the forum, look for the "Forum Jump" menu at the bottom of the page to quickly change to another folder.

4. Use the "Search" option in the main forum toolbar at the top of each page to quickly search for a specific keyword or poster.

5. Use the "New Posts" option in the toolbar to find threads that have most recently been posted to.

Am I being particularly stupid? Each time I open a thread I get the very first message posted, even if I am revisiting that thread.

Is there any way of setting your options so that when you open threads you only see posts you haven't already seen?

Comment

As far as I can find, you can't hide posts that have already been read... however, if you like you can have the newest posts shown first (though then you are reading backwards sorta). That's it for linear modes, you can also have the threaded and hybrid modes, but I don't think that will get you much either. There is a link at the top of the thread to got to the first new post, as well as the down-pointing arrow beside each thread name in the forum that will take you to the first new post.

Hope that helps..

Comment

Wow - that was your first post?! Straight in with the techie-stuff, I'm impressed. And thank you for the advice - I tried the hybrid/threaded stuff and you're right, it's yuck. I also don't want to read things backwards, so that's off.

However, the downpointing arrow doesn't act as a link for me. Should it? And what exactly should I click to get to the first new post when I'm in a thread? I've tried clicking everything in sight to no avail.

Comment

All of the threads with unread posts on them should be in bold and next to the title of the thread there should be a little blue box with a white arrow. If you click on it it will take you to the first unread post.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Ah, you mean the little white down pointing arrow in a blue box exactly to the left of the thread title? Yup, that works. A case of so obvious I couldn't see it.

Thank you for your help, everyone. Sigh, I knew it was a stupid question...

Comment

Except sometimes it doesn't. Within the same session it works, but if I exit my browser (with or without logging out of GW), it takes me way back the next time I come back to the thread. Sometimes to the first post, sometimes a random post from a couple days back.

Comment

Sometimes when I'm viewing threads the size of the display changes so that I have to scroll sideways to see the whole post. It seems to do this randomly as a click from page to page. This is probably something simple, but any advice would be welcome.

Comment

Is this on ALL posts, or just occasional posts from people who- for example- have an extremely long description of their location? I've noticed two or three people whose location descriptions are so long that it forces the margins out to compensate.

Other than that or pics which do the same thing... ya got me.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    Is this on ALL posts, or just occasional posts from people who- for example- have an extremely long description of their location? I've noticed two or three people whose location descriptions are so long that it forces the margins out to compensate.

Other than that or pics which do the same thing... ya got me.
                    Of course, *now* it's not doing it. Longish names just seem to get a bit cut off, the whole page doesn't shift into very loooong mode. I'll try to pay attention to when it does this. Thanks.

Comment

I've been looking, but I still haven't figured out what a 'moved' thread actually means? Doest that mean it's in a new Forum subject, merged with another thread... or... I got nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, bunches...!
                      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                      My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                      Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

If it's been moved to another part of the forum it usually gets a 'redirect' which is left in its old spot and which contains a link to the new place.

Occasionally after a thread is moved to the right place it turns out that it matches one already there; so a small number of moved threads are later merged.

Merged threads don't leave a redirect behind, but if the thread that was merged was current it should still be easy to find.

Madeleine

Comment

Hi I'm new here! I'm trying to find the shep/McKay slasher thread that is mentioned in the Shep/McKay discussion thread - does it still exist? Thanks! p.s. sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask in :-)

Comment

OK, here we go. How old does a thread have to be before you quit posting and WHERE is the date? Does today mean today and one more, How do you get the smilies? I know my questions are about things everybody in the world knows and hardly worthy of a response but I thought I would ask, it took all my courage. Thanks.
                            stargatejostargatejostargatejostargatejostargatejo

Comment

'Today' means the today that you personally are in. (If you've set the forum clock, that is. Go to your control panel).

The smilies are

and you get them by typing :)
                              ;)
                              :p
                              :D
                              :o
                              :(
                              :rolleyes:
                              :cool:
                              :S
                              :eek:

you can post in any thread that is open, no matter how old.

Hope that helps.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X