This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Reply to a Post

Generally speaking, with vBulletin you reply to the thread -- not to a specific post. In "threaded mode" for reading threads, however, the reply architecture is visible -- so if you are replying to one post in particular rather than to the topic in general, use the "Quote" or "QR" button on that post.

"Quote" will automatically include the post in your editor, which you can edit to indicate which specific statements you are replying to!

How do you figure out which posts are to you? In normal "linear mode," replies are not directed toward one person, but to the thread itself. Look for replies that quote your post and/or address you by name.

OK. Let's try this out.

NOOO! This is wrong. I am not a larval symbiote. I am Queen Pharaoah!

Let's try this again.
    Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Is the post counter down? I have posted a few messages this morning but my count has remained the same since last night. Thanks.

Comment

Norlioness, if you post in the play zone it does not count to your posts. It's only a temp test bed.

Hope that answered your q.

Comment

Thanks, David. But I have been posting in the Off-topic chatter zone and my count is stuck at 6. Is the off-topic chatter zone a play zone too?

Comment

It shouldn't be. I'll ask Darren when next I see him, which shouldn't be too long

Comment

Thanks, David. I tested around a bit and think anything posted in the Off-World section is not counted. Maybe Darren can confirm. Thanks

Comment

Yep, just those two folders don't count toward your post count. So you can post there with reckless abandon and not be accused of spamming your way to a higher post count.

As your post count goes up, so does your "rank" -- and you'll eventually earn promotions that unlock extra forum goodies.
                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                  Yep, just those two folders don't count toward your post count. So you can post there with reckless abandon and not be accused of spamming your way to a higher post count.

As your post count goes up, so does your "rank" -- and you'll eventually earn promotions that unlock extra forum goodies.
                  is there a scale or anything anywhere that shows what you get and at what post count? or is it all secret so we get to be surprised when we get new stuff???? its really cool either way!!!

Comment

A lot of it we'll keep secret and let people discover as they reach new levels. But there are currently three user levels: Basic Trainee, Enlisted Personnel, and Officer's Class.

We'll definitely reveal more about what a promotion will earn you in the weeks to come ...

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
                      A lot of it we'll keep secret and let people discover as they reach new levels. But there are currently three user levels: Basic Trainee, Enlisted Personnel, and Officer's Class.

We'll definitely reveal more about what a promotion will earn you in the weeks to come ...
                      excellent! where does it say what our user level is?

Comment

I'll look into adding it to the Profile page!

Comment

awesome!

Comment

How do you quote from two different people in a reply?

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                              Like this

[quote]
                              [quo
                              te=spg 1983] awesome! [/quote]
                              [qu
                              ote=greytop] How do you quote from two different people in a reply? [/quote]
                              [/qu
                              ote]

then it looks like this:

Originally posted by spg 1983
                              awesome!
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or:
                              [quote=spg 1983] awesome! [/quote]
                              You can put your own comments between the quotes this way
                              [quote=greytop] How do you quote from two different people in a reply? [/quote]

Looks like:

Originally posted by spg 1983
                              awesome!
                              You can put your own comments between the quotes this way
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or if you want to quote someone and it would be out of context not to indicate what they were replying to:

[quote=Madeleine W]
                              [qu
                              ote=greytop]How do you quote from two different people in a reply?[/quote]
                              Like this [/
                              quote]

Originally posted by Madeleine W
                              Like this

Hope that helps.
                              Last edited by Madeleine; 21 January 2005, 08:43 PM.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X