This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Find New Posts

For a quick and convenient list of all recent threads with new posts, use the "New Posts" option on the main forum toolbar at the top of every page! Threads with unread posts are bold, and have a small blue, square icon next to them that will take you right to the first unread message! After you've clicked a thread, its name will no longer be bold -- indicating that you've probably read the most recent post there.

On the forum home page, an active Stargate next to a folder indicates that there are threads with new posts since your last visit. (Look to the left for the most recent.)

One warning to keep in mind: vBulletin does its best to track which posts you have and have not read, but it's not perfect. It will only mark as unread those posts that have been made since your last visit; if you leave and come back without reading a bolded (unread) thread, it will probably be marked as unread the next time you visit. Also, if you are inactive for more than one hour, the forum will assume you've left and will no longer remember those unread threads.

If you don't make it through all your unread threads of interest, just visit each topical folder you are interested in. The threads with the most recent posts will always be at the top; compare the day and time of the most recent post to your last log-in time (in your "Welcome!" message near the top) to see what's new, if the thread titles aren't bold any more.

How do you find new posts within a thread? Everytime I use the 'go to first unread post' link it just sends me to the last message in the thread even though there are others before it that I haven't read (and which were posted after my last visit).

And is there anyway to know if people reply to you. I don't want to subscribe to a thread because I don't want an e-mail when anybody posts.

Comment

Click on the little blue down arrow icon to the left of a bold thread title to jump straight to the first unread post. Or, if you navigate into the thread another way, look for the "View First Unread" link near the top.

Remember, if you log out or are inactive for more than one hour, the forum will mark any unread posts/threads as read.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
        Remember, if you log out or are inactive for more than one hour, the forum will mark any unread posts/threads as read.
        ?? So if I don't get on my computer all weekend, when I come back Monday it thinks I've read everything? That doesn't make sense. Most people don't stay logged in all the time. I don't even go into the shipper thread anymore because it takes as much time to find where I left off as it does read the posts.

Comment

No, the forum will still show you threads with unread posts (since your last visit) when you return. But if you leave again before visiting them, they'll be marked unread once you log out or are inactive for more than an hour.
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Darren, I'm afraid you've totally confused me in those two posts. And I'm a techie.

But after talking to a friend who has the same problem on her favorite board apparently I'm just screwed as far as easily finding new posts inside of the threads. I'll have to hunt them down by comparing my last visit time and searching the thread.

Comment

Working...
            X