This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How To: Report Violations

If you see a post that you believe violates the forum rules, click on the red and white warning icon in the top-right corner of that post. Include a personal message to the moderators explaining why you are reporting the post, and click "Send Report." The mods will examine the post and decide if action needs to be taken.

ETA: Here is the exact wording on teh *Report Post Function* so everyone knows what it says

This is to be used to report spam, vulgar messages, fighting or harassment, or other violations of the forum rules. (Also use this feature to notify the moderators of threads you believe need to be closed, merged, or otherwise edited.)
    Last edited by TameFarrar; 19 May 2006, 10:48 PM.

OK, this doesn't exactly violate any rules of the board, but it does violate the rules of what I consider to be good manners...

Is there any way to limit the size of pics in sig files? Most people have been pretty good about it, but I've seen a few with HUGE pics that take up half a screen. That seems a bit excessive to me. It wastes bandwidth (doesn't it?), it makes life difficult for people on dialup, and if a couple of people start doing it, you'll lose the actual content of the posts amid all those big stupid pics.

It's too bad there wasn't some way to resize things like that, the way it does with attachments.

Anyway, I'm just curious...

Comment

This may not be the correct thread to do it but Shadow asked and it's a valid question. Therefore I'm reposting the respective part of the forum FAQs:

What are the Signature rules?
      1. Remember that the forum is rated PG. Do not include inappropriate (or borderline) images or links in your signature.
      2. If you use an image in your signature, it must reside on a server somewhere on the Internet -- and you must have permission to use it.
      3. The total file size of all images in your signature may not exceed 15KB.
      4. Your signature's width must not be so wide that it stretches beyond the forum template. It also may not be more than about 200 pixels tall. Remember, less is more! Your signature usually shouldn't dominate your post.

Now we don't have an automated system that would cut down signature sizes, therefore we ask folks to adhere to the rules and show some consideration for fellow forum users. If a signature is completely out of the allowed range we will ask the user to resize it and/or if necessary do it ourselves!

Feli
      GateWorld Moderator

Comment

Darn, my sig. image is 30k Haha..
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

There are people I know who don't visit GW often cos they find it's slow to load. I reckon there must be a fair few more posters and lurkers who wouldn't come here so often or perhaps at all if it were slower. We're not setting out to be killjoys or anything, just trying to keep a balance.

Madeleine

Comment

The only violation is probably my sig. image, but i can easily change the quality. the forum loads just fine, even at my friends slow connection, so i think its running just nicely

Comment

At the moment. When the bandwidth stretches, it does really take it's toll
              __

__

Comment

Ya, on my other forum, it does the same thing. I wonder why it does that??
                Teal'C: Bla Bla Bla... Said the whole transcript of the
                where all of the Stargates were.

O'Neill: Did you say something??

Comment

I would also like to know why my post thing is not going up. I have posted 3 things and it stayed the same at 13 posts. I did not click the quick responce either.

Comment

I get it know. I read the "how to post" and now I know.

Comment

I had the same question, but i never posted in the 'off-world' part, so didn't know, haha..

Comment

Should have a 4-line sig. rule. Only 4 lines of text, or a picture in the same size.

Comment

huh? who are u directing your post to?

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                            Should have a 4-line sig. rule. Only 4 lines of text, or a picture in the same size.
                            I'd need to see an example of the forum-decreed max size pic before I could say for myself if it's too big. Not that it would make much difference, anyway, except for my own peace of mind.

If there's no way to enforce the size limit except by expecting people to conform, folks are going to regularly defy the rule.
                            "Oh, but my pic is so pretty!"
                            "But if I shrink it down any more, it isn't gonna look good!"
                            "It's only one little pic..."
                            "Shouldn't you be policing the REAL problems here instead of picking on me about a stupid picture??"
                            "Well, jeez, how was I supposed to know??"
                            "What about Poster X? His pic is way bigger than mine!"

Not that I'm a cynic or anything...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                              I'd need to see an example of the forum-decreed max size pic before I could say for myself if it's too big. Not that it would make much difference, anyway, except for my own peace of mind.

If there's no way to enforce the size limit except by expecting people to conform, folks are going to regularly defy the rule.
                              "Oh, but my pic is so pretty!"
                              "But if I shrink it down any more, it isn't gonna look good!"
                              "It's only one little pic..."
                              "Shouldn't you be policing the REAL problems here instead of picking on me about a stupid picture??"
                              "Well, jeez, how was I supposed to know??"
                              "What about Poster X? His pic is way bigger than mine!"

Not that I'm a cynic or anything...
                              Ah, but, being a board Admin myself, that's where the big button labeled BAN comes in, and boy is it fun to press!

Comment

Working...
                              X