• Time
  • Show
Clear All

INTERVIEW: David DeLuise (Pete)

AUDIO INTERVIEW:
    I DON'T WANNA DIE ...
    I WANNA LOVE!

GateWorld talks with David DeLuise

He rocked Major Samantha Carter's world as Detective Pete Shanahan. David DeLuise tells us what he thought of working on Stargate, and why he hopes fans will give his character a chance.

READ MORE ...

Love David DeLuise and love Pete to pieces. I had no problem with what he did in the latter half of Chimera. It seemed like a logical move, if not strictly rational. But then, a man deeply in love isn't a very rational sorta guy.

The interview was a nice one, but I feel really sorry for David. Pete is incurring a lot of wrath from fandom, and even if it isn't necessarily directed at David himself, it's directed at a character he played and I can easily see how he'd be hurt by all the nasty, spiteful and sometimes downright violent things that are being said. Poor guy.

I personally felt that we were given a lot of insight into Pete as a character (more development than some characters got who'd been around for a full season), but I am exceedingly wary of seeing Pete again because I do not feel that TPTB will do him justice. David can act his little heart out, but if TPTB have determined that Pete is nothing more than The Obstacle, the "cloying boyfriend", then there isn't much hope of him being treated very well if we ever see him again. Still, a fan's gotta have hope, right? And even if the producers **** it up, Pete will live on as a great, fully-realized and absolutely charming character in my personal little version of the Stargate universe. I wish David all the best and hope he doesn't take all the vitriol TOO personally. If he ever needs someone to kick butt for him, I'd be more than happy to comply.

Comment

Shads, you can't really believe that TPTB will allow any tertiary character to become a fully realized, three-dimensional being can you? Secondary characters aren't even allowed much of that! Their only hope, apparently, is to go to Atlantis and become one of the leads (McKay) in order to get some character development (I hope!)
      Nola
      sigpic

Comment

McKay had BETTER get some character development!

As for Pete, no, I have no hopes of TPTB doing the character any justice whatsoever. He's the sacrificial lamb to be slaughtered on the Altar of Ship. But if I don't see the ep where it happens then I can go on living in my happy little Sam/Pete shippy world.

Comment

Nice one! David. Gosh, David D. sounds like a very nice person.
          It would be so cool if he shows up at Gatecon.

Comment

Originally posted by Norlioness
            If he does I hope someone points him out to me so I can tell him that he did wonderfully on Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              If he does I hope someone points him out to me so I can tell him that he did wonderfully on Stargate.
              Let's keep our eyes peeled on the Gatecon list of guests then.

Comment

Originally posted by Norlioness
                After getting off the horn with David [DeLuise] I gave a buzz to Richard over at Gatecon. He says David is not on the list.

Though they have been known to pull rabbits out of hats (or actors from behind quilts ...) before! I doubt it, though. David made it pretty clear he's focused on a lot of work commitments and his family.

Comment

Originally posted by David
                  I doubt it, though. David made it pretty clear he's focused on a lot of work commitments and his family.
                  I know. *sigh* With the way fans have been savaging Pete, I wouldn't blame him a bit for saying "No" even if he was asked. If I were him I'd avoid Gatecon like the plague, too. Who needs all that hate? It's still a shame, though. Hope he at least got the card I sent.

Comment

The majority of fans are aware of a distinction between David DeLuise and Pete Shanahan, which is good.

A lot really don't want Pete to return, which is their business, and more power to them. But they need to remember that David is looking for work, and Peter (his brother) is in a great position to give him some in a recurring role on SG-1.

Peter will stick out for his brother. We will see David again. Just simple as that.

So I hope you like him, or at least can tolerate him, cause you're kicking the side of the inevitable if you aren't

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      I know. *sigh* With the way fans have been savaging Pete, I wouldn't blame him a bit for saying "No"
                      I'm not sure that he would get that in person (at least not at GateCon). There was a fair bit of hate/ vitriol directed at Jonas, but at least among the folks seated or in line near me, I did not see it directed at Corin when he was there.

Comment

Originally posted by xathras
                        I did not see it directed at Corin when he was there.
                        I think they kept their mouths shut because they knew they'd be followed by security for the rest of the event (and out of respect to the actors). Similar thing happened to fans who wanted Daniel back after he was gone. Gives you a warm and family-oriented feeling about Gatecon, doesn't it?

Comment

Maybe. I'd still be willing to bet that Amanda is gonna be fielding questions from fans who want to know "How can Sam could POSSIBLY have any interest in a stalker?" and "Wasn't what Pete did reprehensible?" and "Wouldn't Sam dump him if she knew what he did?" And the age old question of when and how Pete's gonna die.

Pardon my bitterness.

Comment

I'm with you about the questions. I would be surprised if we don't hear those this summer.

Comment

Ah, he's OK.

Actually he's more than OK. I like the character. I like the change of direction for Carter. He may be a little too into his job as a Detective but a stalker he is not.

Comment

Working...
                              X