This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The episode that failed

Sometimes we don't expect much from an episode and after we've seen it we're disappointed; the ep was simply bad (pardon me; not up to the usual high Stargate standard *g*). Those are not the episodes I want to talk about.

Sometimes we really look forward to an episode because the spoilers sounded so interesting. Sometimes we watch the first ten minutes and are thrilled with what we've seen so far because it looks really promising. But then the episode falls flat, leaves us disappointed and with an empty feeling. These are the episodes I want to talk about!

So which is the ep that failed most spectacularly that which it seemed to promise in your opinion? And what are the reasons for its failure?

Though I decently enjoyed "Revisions," I felt its ending was a very lame one.

Comment

I was really disappointed with "Resurrection." I thought they could have done a lot more with it.

-Matt
      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

The only episode I was ever really disapointed with was Sight Unseen, it was promising, but ended up too cheesy...

Comment

Death Knell disapointed me: I thought we had to see Olokun come back... but it didn't happen...

Comment

Recently Resurrection and Enemy Mine were disappointing. Although I didn't expect to like Enemy Mine (I dont enjoy the Unas stories) I was very surprised that I didn't like Resurrection. Perhaps I had to high expectations but that episode really 'failed' for me.

Ethan

Comment

Spoiler space for S7 Heroes Part 2
              * please remember to include spoiler space when not in season specific threads

The only episode this season that fail to my expectations was Heroes. I like the episode, way much more then some of the others, but I was looking for more. Specially Janet’s death, it was there right to do what they wanted with the character, but for such a dear one, her death was pointless, they could have use any other character. And, in a episode where you’re saying goodbye to a very strong secondary character, they didn’t give us very much off her.

san
              Last edited by Major Clanger; 01 May 2004, 04:32 AM. Reason: spoiler space

Comment

Originally posted by san
                The only episode this season that fail to my expectations was Heroes. I like the episode, way much more then some of the others, but I was looking for more.

SPOILERS Heroes Part 2

Specially Janet’s death, it was there right to do what they wanted with the character, but for such a dear one, her death was pointless, they could have use any other character. And, in a episode where you’re saying goodbye to a very strong secondary character, they didn’t give us very much off her.

san
                And here we have the first breaking of the spoiler space rule

Comment

Indeed I have to agree with "san".
                  Espacially Heroes Part 1&2 have failed my expectaions but I think I had to high expactions to this episode. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the episode at the end.
                  *S*
                  *P*
                  *O*
                  *I*
                  *L*
                  *E*
                  *R*
                  *S*
                  But I wish Fraiser would have died in another way...
                  Very good German Stargate SG-1 & Atlantis Fanpage with all Information, Lexicon, Episodeguide, most current News and a great design: www.Stargate-Project.com

Comment

The one that I was really looking forward to but which turned out to be pretty dire was Avenger. It sounded great - none of the gates working, lots of potential for offworld peril and drama, lots of angsting at the SGC, a simple concept that could be explained to the viewer with minimal technobabble.

Instead it was played for laughs, and it even failed at that. It was cringeworthy Felger-as-uberpillock interspersed with dreary technobabble.

It's not uncommon for me to watch an ep knowing that everyone will be alright in the end, but still on the edge of my seat trying to work out *how* they would get out of the current pickle. In Avenger they got into the dodgy situation with technobabble, and they got out of it with technobabble and a deus ex machina cargo ship.

Other eps that failed... There was nothing particularly awful about Proving Ground, but it wasn't a success for me cos I didn't care much about the recruits and there's no tension cos it's always clearly a drill.

Space Race was turned from a ho-hum, worse-than-average-but-hey-this-is-Stargate-so-still-enjoyable-enough episode into a very painful viewing experience by those ghastly announcers. They were pure cheese. And worse, if they are from an alien culture, how come they screamed 'American' with every fixed-grin-delivered line?

Grace failed for me because I was hoping for some deep insight into Sam's character, or maybe some thrilling Sam-in-peril stuff, or at least a decent who-are-the-aliens mystery. Instead, I got 'Sam isn't happy, she needs a man to be happy', and 'Sam thinks she'd give up the career that has been her life's focus if only Jack said the word'. Which kind of put the lid on the well-adjusted, secure, self-confident and happy person I'd always seen in Sam.

Madeleine

Comment

sorry, i complitly forgot about it, wont happen again

san

Comment

For me "Space Race".
                        I felt that it was just written to give the FX dept. something to do.

Nuff said.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by san
                          sorry, i complitly forgot about it, wont happen again

san
                          no worries... it's all shiny and new here - little accidents are bound to happen!
                          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                            The one that I was really looking forward to but which turned out to be pretty dire was Avenger. It sounded great - none of the gates working, lots of potential for offworld peril and drama, lots of angsting at the SGC, a simple concept that could be explained to the viewer with minimal technobabble.

Instead it was played for laughs, and it even failed at that. It was cringeworthy Felger-as-uberpillock interspersed with dreary technobabble.

It's not uncommon for me to watch an ep knowing that everyone will be alright in the end, but still on the edge of my seat trying to work out *how* they would get out of the current pickle. In Avenger they got into the dodgy situation with technobabble, and they got out of it with technobabble and a deus ex machina cargo ship.
                            Well it's your own fault for going into the episode with that view. You knew it was Felger, you should have already seen The Other Guys, how were you not expecting comedy.

Yes, Felger was a bit over the top, but not much, it was still funny. The technobabble wasn't over the top, because, frankly, they needed it to explain WHY this was happening, they couldn't just say "We're uploading a virus that will stop a gate from dialing" without explaining WHY it does that. And the Al'kesh (How dare you compare that beast to a cargo ship ) wasn't deus ex machina, it was a plot element from earlier in the episode (Jack mentions it several times on the MALP) and from a future episode (Grace), it's not like they said "Hmm... how will they get out of this one, ah an Al'kesh!" they could have just sent less Jaffa at them

Other eps that failed... There was nothing particularly awful about Proving Ground, but it wasn't a success for me cos I didn't care much about the recruits and there's no tension cos it's always clearly a drill.
                            Bull! Unless you had read spoilers previously, there's no way you knew it was a drill, I can't see how. Frankly, I was waiting for the Foothold aliens to be back, but it was a drill, which was good enough I supose, because Grogan was there and he's funny

Space Race was turned from a ho-hum, worse-than-average-but-hey-this-is-Stargate-so-still-enjoyable-enough episode into a very painful viewing experience by those ghastly announcers. They were pure cheese. And worse, if they are from an alien culture, how come they screamed 'American' with every fixed-grin-delivered line?
                            Say what you will, I loved the announcers. You are aware that they were meant to be cheesy, for comic purposes. I thought they were one of the best parts of the episode (The best was Eamon's wonderful Niles Crane impressions )

Grace failed for me because I was hoping for some deep insight into Sam's character, or maybe some thrilling Sam-in-peril stuff, or at least a decent who-are-the-aliens mystery. Instead, I got 'Sam isn't happy, she needs a man to be happy', and 'Sam thinks she'd give up the career that has been her life's focus if only Jack said the word'. Which kind of put the lid on the well-adjusted, secure, self-confident and happy person I'd always seen in Sam.
                            I'll give you that it didn't really go into more than Sam's love life, but I still liked it. I suppose I can accept you not liking it then.... yeah, I do compromise

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                              Bull! Unless you had read spoilers previously, there's no way you knew it was a drill, I can't see how. Frankly, I was waiting for the Foothold aliens to be back, but it was a drill, which was good enough I supose, because Grogan was there and he's funny
                              I hadn't read spoilers. And I guessed pretty quickly - like within seconds of Jack leaving - that it was a drill. I don't know, maybe I'm just cynical, maybe it's my military background, maybe it's just that I am so fed up of TV showing us that the only people on the planet who know anything are under 25.... whatever.

The ep was ridiculous in the extreme.

Oh, I've said it now!!
                              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X