• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unnatural Selection (612)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON SIX
    EPISODE NUMBER - 612

The team is called into battle unexpectedly when the Asgard homeworld is overrun by Replicators -- which have evolved into a startling new form.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 11:27 PM.

This was the first episode I saw and I really enjoied it because it wasn't a clear "victory" for the good guys. I liked the fact that it made me stop and think... "Was that really the right thing to do?", "Was it the moral thing?".

I liked the fact that they left it open ended.

When a TV show gets me to stop and think I sit up and take notice.
    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

i wasnt happy about jack's decision even though i understood why it was done.. seemed a bit out of character.. good story tho n as ya all probably know, one that will be revisited ...

Comment

Why did you think it was out of character? (honest curiosity)

I thought it was very much in character after I had watched more episode.

My main reason being he accomplished his misison going to what ever lengths were necessary, just as he did in Shades of Grey.
        ~BCM =)

Comment

really liked the way the Asgard managed to strengthen their enemy even more before kind of almost winning.
          The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
            When a TV show gets me to stop and think I sit up and take notice.
            I totally agree. I remember stumbling upon this episode before "getting into" SG-1. At the time I couldn't quite understand the characters' motivations, yet the episode made an impression nonetheless.

Now that I know all the back stories, I rank this among my favorite episodes of the series. I loved how it leave the ending open and let the viewers draw their own conclusions. It certainly made me see Jack in a new light.
            In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

I rank this as one of my favorite episodes of season 6, right after Abyss and Changeling.

I loved that Jack made the tough choices (I thought it was very in character), that they brought up Charlie again and that the episode dealt with some interesting scifi concepts.

I thought the evolution of the replicators was interesting. Maybe a little unbelievable but it worked. "First" said that they took human form to honor their creator "Reese". I always wondered if their outward physical appearances were people that Reese actually knew. For example, maybe "First" looked like Reese's father.

Anyway, liked it a lot and thought it had great visual effects. That last image of Fifth, frozen in time, has stuck with me.
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

The only question that i had, why did they have to leave fifth!!!
                Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                  The only question that i had, why did they have to leave fifth!!!
                  Because if they didn't the other replicators would know he had left and they would be able to stop SG-1 and 5th before the device activated.

So Jack made the hard call and left 5th behind. He clearly wasn't happy with it, but he knew it needed to be done and he did it.
                  ~BCM =)

Comment

The decisions made by Jack were based on the simple idea of Self Preservation. Look at what the replicators learned about earth, The SGC and SG-1. Kind of scary. So I do not blame Jack at all for what he did. I would have left Fifth behind as well. There was not enough time to build that kind of trust. There was a lot going against him. He is still a replicator.

Comment

I guess we can just hope they never manage to escape.
                      The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Jack was willing to leave Fifth because he refuses to see anything mechanical as having a right to life. His robot double had to die before he could accept that maybe it had been alive and he never had the slightest interest in reasoning with Reese.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

We've done this......Joking.

No seriously, I agree. Just trying to point out that Sam and Danial have changed Jacks mind before. Somehow I doubt it would fly in this situation, but I have seen stranger things in the SG universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                            Jack was willing to leave Fifth because he refuses to see anything mechanical as having a right to life.
                            I agree, but I also see this as his rationalization, not his motivation. It's not so much that Jack did the right thing, only what was necessary. IMHO his willingness to bear the burden of conscience for the others bespeaks a special brand of nobility.
                            In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

If Fifth had been an actual human being, especially a young human, Jack wouldn't have left him like that; he would at least have tried to bring him along. Never leave anyone behind is practically his motto and he's stuck to that through thick and thin before now; look how reluctant he was to leave Elliot and Elliot was already dying.

I'm not saying he made the wrong choice; just that it was perhaps fortunate that Fifth lies outside the protection of Jack's particular code.
                              Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                              - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                              X