• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major John Sheppard

To find out about the other characters in Atlantis click HERE

MAJOR JOHN SHEPPARD
    PLAYED BY - Joe Flanigan

A gifted military pilot, posted at McMurdoch Air Force Base because it's the only place they will let him fly; Sheppard once defied a direct order and flew his helicopter to rescue two Rangers trapped behind enemy lines. Though people might see a good-ol' boy exterior, he is also a closet mathematical genius. He has a wry sense of humor and likes to pretend he's not as smart as he really is.

Most of the time a perfect gentlemen -- who tries his best to be charming -- when he's pushed to fight he can be an absolute animal with single-minded purpose. He distrusts authority and always goes with his gut, letting his strong sense of common sense morality lead his actions. The character is listed as being between 35 and 40 years old.

sigpic

Now he should be a good character! He looks a bit young to be commanding the Atlantis project though.

But, he's handsome and it seems he's probably a good actor, so...
    ------
    Shelby aka JessMerrick

Comment

Loved him on Cupid! Well... as much as you can love a character who's in direct competition with the lead (Jeremy Pivien) whom you love even more and want desperately to win... Will be interesting to see Joe in this role...

Comment

He was good in Tru Calling (He he he, he got shot... but had a bulletproof vest!! )

Comment

missed that episode - tried to watch True Calling but just found it plain boring. Wanted to watch that one just coz Joe was in it, but got bored after five minutes and watched a re-run of Minder on Paramount 2!
          sigpic

Comment

He kinda reminds me of Col./ Brigadier General Jack O'Neill a little bit. But this guy is cool. I already Like him and the Atlantis Team Im going to be watching this till it ends which im hoping will go 7 seasons and then i'll start moving some stuff because i'll be on my own by the time it is over.

Comment

Right now he's a pretty face, with one of those ridiculously written character descriptions in which he can do virtually everything except make a nuclear bomb (maybe that was on page 2 ) but I'll reserve judgement until I actually see the series. I've only seen the actor once, and he was trying to kill a woman with a baseball bat (CSI: Miami) so he can do mean and nasty... but it will also depend how they write the character.

Comment

Any thoughts with the new commercials? Given the commercials, I can see him being an O'Neill variant...similar, but hopefully with some differences that the writers develop as the series moves along. Kind of like how Jonas was similar to Daniel, but also had some very distinct differences.

Oh no, did I just compare Jonas and Daniel?!? Look out, thread!
                It's antithetical to my character and I don't like it on a fundamental level.

Comment

ANOTHER genius character... well, I'm going to see what happens with this Major John Sheppard before I pass judgment, but needless to say, I am fascinated. The show already has so many genius characters: Sam, Daniel, Jonas, numerous guest characters and aliens... we'll see.

He has a wry sense of humor and likes to pretend he's not as smart as he really is.
                  This could be interesting.
                  Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                  more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferhailey
                    Now he should be a good character! He looks a bit young to be commanding the Atlantis project though.

He isn't. Dr. Weir is.

J.
                    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

In the latest Documentary Preview for Atlanits there is a scene between Sheppard and Ford talking about the Puddle Jumper. Sheppard is against the idea calling the little puddlejumper, Gateship one.

Is it just me or does he sound a bit like Owen Wilson in that particular scene?

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
                      from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

I think the character looks promising from what I have seen in the commercial blips. The commercials with Joe and Amanda reviewing the applicants for the Get in the Gate Contest crack me up.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins
                          I think the character looks promising from what I have seen in the commercial blips. The commercials with Joe and Amanda reviewing the applicants for the Get in the Gate Contest crack me up.
                          Eh, I the only part of it that is funny is the guy who makes a run for the gate and gets tackled.

Comment

Originally posted by Indiana
                            Is it just me or does he sound a bit like Owen Wilson in that particular scene?

I think so- I just can't figure out what the line is he's saying. Any help?
                            "You're creepin' me out, Mc Kay." Carter

Comment

He says something like "gate ship one? No, no, thats all wrong"..."Ship? A little puddle jumper like this, no,no,no". Although if i could stick the DVD on I could be more precise.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
                              from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Working...
                              X