No announcement yet.

2001 (510)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think there's still hope for Joe to reappear in the future. There's no proof that he's dead yet, and the Aschen are incredibly smart. They could find a way to avoid the destruction of the black hole.
    SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Is it just me, or did the note not play that big a part in saving our asses? The main thing that made them suspicious was the newspaper - the note and the possibility that the Aschen could be from '470 just added to it.

Great episode though, and the end scene with Carter dropping through the gate and flying out was cool.

Comment

In some ways, I think it did save our arses - after all, it warned us not to visit the Aschen homeworld, which is the mistake they made in their timeline.

It would have perhaps been a bit naïve to hope that the note on its own would have completely prevented the meeting of the Tauri and the Aschen. Given our predeliction for boldly barging through the gate to anywhere that looks promising, it was perhaps inevitable that we'd come across them sooner or later.

However, what the note prevented was SG-1 coming across the Aschen on their homeworld. By avoiding '470, we also avoided being hypnotised by all their whizzo technological wonders; fooled into forging an alliance with them and quietly signing away our civilisation (such as it is) in a silent war of attrition that we wouldn't even have been aware of until it was too late.

By meeting the Aschen on one of the worlds they've already subjugated, the remnants of the former society are still lurking beneath the surface, all ready and waiting to trip up our apparent allies, while the technology they can display to us is perhaps a little more limited than it would have been at home. We are less blinded, and there is evidence we can find that things are not what they seem. Sorted.

The note did it's job - just maybe not quite in the way that the senders thought it would.
        sigpic

Comment

I have a plot hole question about this episode. Carter and others discuss that the Aschen did not have a DHD, on their own planet, as well as P3A-194, the Volia planet.

So, why would SGC send anyone to check out Volia in the first place? Wouldn't a MALP have gone through, not seen a DHD and then been stuck?

I thought teams are only sent to planets with a visible DHD.

I mean, the stargate on Voila is sitting next to plot of farmland, nothing to indicate it's near anything where advanced humanoids live.
          Last edited by A Mal Doran; 29 April 2007, 04:22 PM.

Comment

That is an interesting question... i don't remember the ashen saying they had a remote dialer in their ship..

Comment

Originally posted by desert fox View Post
              ancient Volian city and newspapers Daniel found there were like a cry of warning from past. Chilly...
              I really liked that storyline. The newly industrial Volian world that was sterilised and depopulated to the point where all was forgotten in a few generations. Scary!

I always thought the Aschen would've been a good "enemy of my enemy". That is, direct our enemies to them and let them fight each other. I would have liked to see more of the Aschen, but we can only assume they are currently running around in very slow motion trying to shut down their gate from the black hole, and will be stuck there for years to come.

Comment

But what i would like to know, is Oneil said that the addresses they gave them got progressively worse from there on.. so what could have been worse than a blackhole?

Comment

How about a world populated entirely by really bad stand up comedians?

I suspect time would move even more slowly there.

You can tell it's been a long week in my world, can't you?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
                    How about a world populated entirely by really bad stand up comedians?
                    LOL.
                    The Aschen conquer-by-sterilisation method would be too slow.........

Comment

I can just imagine them having to sit through yet another routine of cheesy observations and crushingly awful one-liners.

Just imagine how that would test the legendary Aschen patience! They'd be longing for the black hole again. I'm positive.
                      sigpic

Comment

Maybe the Aschen just wouldn't understand. They don't seem to have a sense of humour.
                        Just reminded me of the scene where Jack reports his mistrust of the humourless:
                        "that boring guy"
                        "you mean Boran"
                        "that's what I said....boring. He REALLY lacks a sense of humour"

Comment

Excellent! Who better to sit through several hours of extremely bad stand-up?

It would add a whole new meaning to 'Dying on stage'.

Personally, I totally agree with Jack on the 'not having a sense of humour' thing. If nothing else, that really makes the Aschen creepy. Imagine a society in which no one ever laughed or had fun? Brrr.
                          sigpic

Comment

Top notch episode, just a great example of a finely tuned SG-1, great story and excellent special effects. Loved the way Daniel and Teal'c had that little side episode to play sleuth in and to 'dig' around. It's episodes like this that highlight the combined abilities of the team as a whole, more so than the more standard run-n-gun type episodes --not that there's anything wrong with those types either. I liked '2010' but this episode was just a little bit better IMHO.

Comment

We don't leave our people behind, unless you are just an ambassador.

Comment

Originally posted by cavalierlwt View Post
                                Top notch episode, just a great example of a finely tuned SG-1, great story and excellent special effects. Loved the way Daniel and Teal'c had that little side episode to play sleuth in and to 'dig' around. It's episodes like this that highlight the combined abilities of the team as a whole, more so than the more standard run-n-gun type episodes --not that there's anything wrong with those types either. I liked '2010' but this episode was just a little bit better IMHO.
                                Iron root.... not just your normal problem!! Call Jackson and Teal'c removal services...

Comment

Working...
                                X