No announcement yet.

Holiday (217)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking the exact opposite I though jack did a ok teal'c and teal'c did a horible jack.(IMO)
    sigpic

Comment

This episode was EXCELLENT!!! It sort of reminded me of FarScape's "Out of Their Minds", where the characters in that show also traded bodies.

And Chris was absolutely WONDERFUL as O'Neill!

sigpic
      "Dragons can't change who they are, but who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup; Dragons: Riders of Berk

My Books:
      Draconia: Forging Trust, Draconia: Fractured Dream, Draconia: Rehatching

Comment

I generally like this episode. First time around, I found the Machello exploring town scenes poignant, but now I mostly ff them and just watch the funny parts with the guys.

Is it just me or does CJ do a lot better at being O'Neill that RDA is at being Teal'c. RDA doesn't seem to have the knack of being able to do a lot with a little like Chris does?
        I do think that RDA has a much harder time playing Teal'c than CJ does playing Jack. And for me it's nothing to do with any lack of acting ability in RDA. It's simply that CJ has the face and features that suit those stoic expressions. RDA just doesn't and so those expressions come off as robotic and strange instead. Plus, he doesn't have the deep, gravelly voice of Teal'c. So, again, that deadpan manner of talking, with little expression or tone works for CJ, but for RDA it just sounds dull and expressionless and very artificial.

There's not much RDA could do to fix that and it does mean that he comes off worst in the swap. Looking at times like someone trying to play a robot. But, as someone else pointed out, later, as Daniel, he is excellent. Because he doesn't have to contend with the same physical handicaps as he does when playing Teal'c.

CJ is absolutely terrific as Jack. Got it down to a tee.

I think my favourite moment is when the machine actually swaps Teal'c and Jack and they just stand there staring at one another and Sam goes, "What?" LOL! Plus the 'ya think?"

And, although I just can't believe I didn't see it staring me in the face now, on the first run I totally failed to recognise MS as Machello until the closing credits. That was some good make-up and acting from MS!

So, not a huge top A-list favourite this one, but one I visit often all the same and enjoy when I do.
        Albion
        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I still love the scenes where machello is wondering the streets I think the homeless man is freaking awesome.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
            And, although I just can't believe I didn't see it staring me in the face now, on the first run I totally failed to recognise MS as Machello until the closing credits. That was some good make-up and acting from MS!
            I never actually caught the credit the first time, so it was a few goes before I thought to myself 'Is that MS playing Machello?' and finally spotted the credit at the end and - hand clapped to forehead - thought 'you ditz!'. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who missed it the first time.

Totally amazing job from MS there - as always.

Originally posted by Albion
            I do think that RDA has a much harder time playing Teal'c than CJ does playing Jack. And for me it's nothing to do with any lack of acting ability in RDA. It's simply that CJ has the face and features that suit those stoic expressions. RDA just doesn't and so those expressions come off as robotic and strange instead. Plus, he doesn't have the deep, gravelly voice of Teal'c. So, again, that deadpan manner of talking, with little expression or tone works for CJ, but for RDA it just sounds dull and expressionless and very artificial.
            I think that's a good point. There's also the issue of viewer perception, of course. We are so used to seeing RDA and CJ playing their respective characters (who are, lets face it, polar opposites character-wise) that switching them over comes over as a bit of a culture shock. In the face of that, it's perhaps inevitable that we will find their portrayals (particularly RDA's) rather unconvincing - simply because they fit their normal characters so incredibly well that we have trouble imagining them in any other way.

I still liked it, though
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
              I still love the scenes where machello is wondering the streets I think the homeless man is freaking awesome.
              yeah that was cool i think machello is dead now isnt he? ow yeah he dies in this episode thats right ops my bad but still it was a great episode

Comment

I am actually watching this episode right know. Now that I have the movie through 8. I am going back through them starting with the movie. Now that I am watching "Holiday" I got a funny thought I never had before. I think it would've been really funny if Jack and Sam switched. Please note Sam is Jack and Jack is Sam.

Jack: Well sir, if my calculations are correct the shield defense are directly porportianant to the amount of energy directed at it.

Sam: Carter! I didn't even have coffee this morning. Hey, wait in this body I can go into the women's locker room and no will know.
                Jack: Someone stop him, he'll ruin my reputation.
                Teal'c: It appears things did not go as planned.
                Sam: ya think? And we still haven't found this gello guy.
                Jack: Ma'chello.
                Sam:Whatever.

Comment

There is certainly a school of thought expressed already on this thread that would have liked that to have happened; but there's another that is glad it didn't. While we needed a swap to take place (to show that anyone can get switched, not just Machello, and that it's a one way only trip), Jack and Sam would have been - IMO - a trip too far into the slapstick. It's easy to forget that the point of the episode was Machello's actions, and their consequences for Daniel, rather than the bodyswaporama.

It was also interesting to see that there were other potential consequences; primarily the risk of Jack dying in Teal'c's body simply because he has no idea how to kelnoreem. That would have been lost had Jack swapped with Sam.

Having said that, it would have been quite fun to see Jack coming out with the technobabble for a change!
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree with Chaka's Mum. Something else which is constantly highlited in this thread is someone wanted to explore more of Ma'chello's inventions, but sad that it was never explored. Hello, Anyone seen season three's "Legacy?"

Comment

I think the point that people are making with that argument is that, given how much stuff Machello had in his lab, why not put in an ep where SG-1 are experimenting with/field testing/using something either invented by him or engineered from his technology? After all, it doesn't have to actually work (though that would be helpful), but the fact that some progress has been made on using these thingies is what they'd like to see.

We do encounter Machello's work again in Legacy, yes; but that encounter is entirely accidental (as before), and bits and bobs are retrieved from the stash of recovered macguffins simply to sort out the ensuing mess - which shows that they are indeed being studied. Chances are, however, that this wasn't quite what people had in mind for an ep that explored what the other stuff Machello invented (and which we have 'inherited') could do.

Alternatively, the people asking the question simply hadn't seen Legacy yet!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        this was fun watching chris finally lighten of a bit RDA doiesn't do a good teal'c
                        I *so* have to agree with you about RDA's performance here. It really emphasized how well Chris Judge plays Teal'c, and how expressive he really can be, given the character. RDA was pretty much zombified in those scenes. This isn't meant to be a slam against RDA, I love his portrayal of Jack, but I feel like he completely missed the boat on how to play Teal'c.

Comment

TBH, I think even RDA would agree with you on that! Albion's take on this is absolutely spot on (in my view) so I won't start reiterating it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Another fab episode; so much humour, but a lot of depth too. CJ did a great job as Jack. Although I'm not sure that I found RDA's performance as Teal'c quite as convincing, as has been said before, I think RDA had a harder job. From my own (admittedly limited) acting experience, it's harder to play the quieter, calmer characters; there's less on the surface to work with.

Seeing Marchello out in public was funny, but also a bit sad; he's missed out on so much in his fight against the Goaul'd. That's not to say that he had any right to take Daniel's body, but it is understandable; it's tragic that his own desperation caused him to become like the very beings he has fought so hard against.

AT's acting with Daniel when he appeared to be dying in Marchello's body was also very moving.
                            sigpic
                            Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

Agreed. And i like how it was daniel saying that to michallo, that got him to change his mind..

Comment

He had a good point- and I suspect no one else could have got through to Machello as he could. Machello had become so bitter about all that he'd lost to the Goa'uld that he lost his entire focus on why he'd been fighting them in the first place. He couldn't (wouldn't?) see that and it needed a bald accusation that he had become like the Goa'uld himself to make him see reason.

Only then could he open up to the fact that Daniel still had a chance to get Sha're back, and that he was going to be robbed of that by a selfish old man.

Yep. Selfish old man. No matter how we try to find some kind of mitigation for Machello, there's no getting away from the fact that he quite deliberately persuaded Daniel to use the bodyswapping device. From the outset, the visitors were nothing more to him than a long awaited escape route from the Goa'uld - the person he swapped with could just stay behind and die (or, worse, be recaptured by the Goa'uld if he survived long enough).

It was a pretty good plan - but there was always the risk that the person he swapped with would not be left behind (the 'leave the barmy old coot here' scenario). As it was, Daniel was able to alert his colleagues to what had happened to him, and thus blew Machello's cover.

That said, his almost childlike wonder at the world he found himself in was really quite sweet!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X