This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NASA wants to build a Stargate.

In the NASA's website, in 'Things We'd Like To Achieve' under the Research section, NASA gives an explanation of how wormhole traveling works, and what is needed to build a Stargate and how would it look/work.

From what I read it wouldn't be as simple and user friendly as the ones in Stargate, in fact it'd be huge!

Before posting the link, I just want to make you think of this: stop for a second and think of everything that was Science Fiction 200 years ago and which is now a reality. Who is to say that today's Science Fiction is to stay that way forever?

The fact that a government entity takes their precious time to think and theorize on the possibility of someday achieving such thing, puts a smile on my face.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/re.../ideachev.html

Servatis a periculum. Servatis a maleficum.

Nice link, thanks...

And the reason a lot of people loved the original Stargate so much was because it seemed scientifically plausible to the layman, it's simply good science fiction, and in order to be good, science fiction needs to be somewhat believable.

Comment

wow that is pretty cool to know. Perhaps one day we'll be able to go to another planet.Perhaps we can move to a new colony how great would that be.Clean air,new space,the spraid of mankind
      your friendly neighbourhood

Spiderman

Comment

So, while they're doing this, that pesky hole in the Ozone just keeps getting bigger, nuclear waste keeps piling without any bright ideas as to how to get rid of it, Smog and other toxic manmade pollutants continually kill people around the globe, preventing us from really taking a deep breath of fresh air, cars roar past us in the streets spewing thousands of gallons of toxic chemicals killing us as we speak, cancer rates triple due to chemical waste buried underground seeping into our water supply, the wild life zones are being drilled and destroyed slowly for their precious raw materials, animal hides, oil and wood, one animal goes extinct off the face of the earth every day (or so they say). New, more powerful, more deadly weapons are being built every day to help protect humankind while thier only fuction is to destroying humankind over petty matters of leadership and wealth, eradicating the remnants of ancient civilizations in their wake ... yet we want to go through a NASA funded StarGate and dabble in quantum physics while our world collapses around us. No, the above is not Science Fiction, it's Science Fact. Heck, no wonder they want to get away. But it does sound kind of cool ... otherwise.

Just my conspiracy theorist rambling. Cool link.
        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Is it just me or are these the "gates" they use in "Lose in Space". The whole point of that movie was to get to a distant star and build another gate like the one we have orbiting around Earth? Am I right?

Thanks for the link, rep for all of you.

Comment

Smog and other toxic manmade pollutants continually kill people around the globe, preventing us from really taking a deep breath of fresh air, cars roar past us in the streets spewing thousands of gallons of toxic chemicals killing us as we speak
            Sounds like we need to get off this world even more.

I don't believe that the Stargate will be built in time to save our civilization though, our current understanding of Quantum Physics is barely scratching the surface not to meantion the whole power consumption thing is rather large for creating an actual passage way through space-time. But creating wormholes is a lot better than the "warp drive" of Star Trek. Give it a hundred years and maybe we'll have functional Stargates!
            Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

I'm all for colonizing other planets (so long as no one is living on them already) but I believe in remaining loyal to our Terran roots. Instead of looking for a cleaner place to live in, shouldn't we be thinking about cleaning up our own little corner of the universe first?
              I'd love to be part of the first people to go out there but I wouldn't want it to happen if at the same time we have to ruin Earth. Especially since we're not really sure we'll find a place as good for human inhabiting as Earth. Terra might just be the best fit we'll ever find and if we reck it...
              May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

I think the people at Nasa watch a lot of SG1 and SGA episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
                  I'm all for colonizing other planets (so long as no one is living on them already) but I believe in remaining loyal to our Terran roots. Instead of looking for a cleaner place to live in, shouldn't we be thinking about cleaning up our own little corner of the universe first?
                  I'd love to be part of the first people to go out there but I wouldn't want it to happen if at the same time we have to ruin Earth. Especially since we're not really sure we'll find a place as good for human inhabiting as Earth. Terra might just be the best fit we'll ever find and if we reck it...
                  Wise words. I appalude you. *applause*
                  TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

My friends and I have talked about this.

It is possible to make a stargate, but what you would need is a, get this, negatively charged metal to be a stabilizer for the naked singularity. ( You need it to create a stable wormhole at all. They did a good job with the facts, I tell you ) Unfortunately, that material is not found naturally on Earth, so we would need to get it someplace. Also, how are we going to get them to other planets. That would be a problem, no?

And a ZPM is a possibility, but we have no way to harness it. Yet.

Comment

Re: NASA wants to build a Stargate
                      You can't really blame them can you. I want to build a stargate.

However the realities look a little bleaker than my fantasies about space travel. I mean, lets face it we'll be lucky if we can get men to Mars within the next half a century and we probably won't get outside of our solar system for another century or more. Also, as has been mentioned Earth as we know it probably won't be around for that long if big businesses don't cut on pollution emissions. Also, by this time the world's renewable resources will have run out and we'll probably end up regressing technologically for a few decades.
                      The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic - Stalin
                      The viewpoint of one person is not the viewpoint of all - ShadowMaat
                      Dulce et Decorum est pro patria mori - Horace
                      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
                      Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something - Plato
                      An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi
                      Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake - Napoleon

Comment

Excellent link! I didn't understand some of it, but it definitely enhances the imagination and what-ifs.

I'm a firm believer in if man can imagine it, it can be done.

Before posting the link, I just want to make you think of this: stop for a second and think of everything that was Science Fiction 200 years ago and which is now a reality. Who is to say that today's Science Fiction is to stay that way forever?

Exactly! Hopefully, in my next life I'll be able to experience the things I wish I could now.
                        "It's a blast door"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Chief Jack O Niell
                          I think the people at Nasa watch a lot of SG1 and SGA episodes.
                          That and a lot of ST:TNG and ST:TOS.
                          'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

It is very possible to get to mars within the next 10 years. It would take about 1,500 hours to get to mars going at 100,00 mph. All Nasa needs to do is Sup it up some, so that it can hold 3-4 humans and still go at 100,000 mph.
                            Last edited by Master Chief Jack O Niell; 13 March 2005, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Are my Dreams coming reality ?????
                              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Working...
                              X