This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letters from Pegasus shouldn't have worked

(SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T SEEN "LETTERS FROM PEGASUS")
    They shouldn't of had any power to read the message sent by the pegasus galaxy because if the atlantis gate didn't have enough power the earth gate would try to compensate - that is why when the asgard dial in everything goes dark because earth gate doesn't have enough power to compensate.

Although, maybe 1.3 seconds is the exact time a worm-hole can be established before the other gate detects the power problem and tries to make up for it. Maybe they can establish a 5 second wormhole, but if they had, the earth gate would have drained the SGC of power and they couldn't have recieved the message.

Does this mean that the atlantis gate could be a weapon because it would drain power from any shields on the other side if it connected with another galaxy?

Sidenote: once the gateroom goes completely dark because the asgard dial in wouldn't they figure it out to power the computers and iris separately? use a naquada generator on the computers or something. Maybe they figure it's only a problem with the asgard so no need to fix it.

But I digress, in a millenia or so.

Damn man, you over thunk that WAY too much. They said in the episode that they had enough power to maintain the wormhole for 1.3 seconds and no longer. THat means that they had the power and that the SGC gate didnt need to compensate.

Comment

> that is why when the asgard dial in everything goes dark because earth
      > gate doesn't have enough power to compensate.

No, the SGC does not 'go dark' because it lacks the power to maintain an 8-address wormhole. That makes no sense, considering the Asgard do have the power to maintain an eight address wormhole; their gate wouldn't need to draw power from ours.

The SGC goes dark because the Asgard have the technology to remotely disrupt our computer and power systems, which includes primary control of the iris, so that they can walk through our stargate in relative safety and not splatter against our iris.

And FYI, Anubis acquired this technology from the Asgard (Thor, in Season 5 when he downloaded his brain into the ships computer) and then used in both the Season 6 opener, Redemption Part 1 and Season 7's ' the Lost City part 2. Anubis wasn't dialing in from another galaxy, and the SGC still went dark.

> Does this mean that the atlantis gate could be a weapon because it would
      > drain power from any shields on the other side if it connected with another
      > galaxy?

It would be a pretty crap weapon. Think: Unplug gate from power grid, leave shield generator plugged in, problem solved.

> Maybe they figure it's only a problem with the asgard so no need to fix it.

Manual Iris control, again, the Lost City part 2.
      Last edited by Antaeogo; 12 March 2005, 11:57 AM.

Comment

one.. The SGC is use to asgards draining power... meaning they increased their power.

Two... its in the script
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Antaeogo
          No, the SGC does not 'go dark' because it lacks the power to maintain an 8-address wormhole. That makes no sense, considering the Asgard do have the power to maintain an eight address wormhole; their gate wouldn't need to draw power from ours.
          YEP!
          The SGC goes dark because the Asgard have the technology to remotely disrupt our computer and power systems, which includes primary control of the iris, so that they can walk through our stargate in relative safety and not splatter against our iris.
          ...YEP!
          And FYI, Anubis acquired this technology from the Asgard (Thor, in Season 5 when he downloaded his brain into the ships computer) and then used in both the Season 6 opener, Redemption Part 1 and Season 7's ' the Lost City part 2. Anubis wasn't dialing in from another galaxy, and the SGC still went dark.
          ...and YEP!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

To be perfectly honest, I just chalked up the dimming lights as way of the director saying, "Yo! Pay attention!"

As for the 1.3 sec...why not? The gates in the past have been powered by all sorts of energy sources: lightning, glowing weeds, etc. If Atlantis can pool their resources into one outgoing wormhole, I don't see why the Earth gate would be "drained".

I'm just wondering where the power they're using to activate the gate in "The Gift" is coming from.

See the Clips | IMDB site | Official Site
            ---------------------------------------------
            Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

Although I will point out (as I'm sure it has been pointed out somewhere else in the forum) the wormhole was open for a lot more than 2 secs ( I think it was 12, according to my DVR ).

Comment

Originally posted by Tracker
                To be perfectly honest, I just chalked up the dimming lights as way of the director saying, "Yo! Pay attention!"

As for the 1.3 sec...why not? The gates in the past have been powered by all sorts of energy sources: lightning, glowing weeds, etc. If Atlantis can pool their resources into one outgoing wormhole, I don't see why the Earth gate would be "drained".

I'm just wondering where the power they're using to activate the gate in "The Gift" is coming from.
                What are you talking about. SPOILERS GIFT
                Spoiler:
                The only time they use the gate is when Bates return from a potential beta site.

Comment

''Although I will point out (as I'm sure it has been pointed out somewhere else in the forum) the wormhole was open for a lot more than 2 secs ( I think it was 12, according to my DVR ).''

Oh yehhh...(rolls eyes)...
                  ...he wasn't completely crazy anymore, just productively wierd

GAT4 - Gaters Against T4 + Vernon Kay

Thanks for the random Reputation Points, I didn't even realise I had any.

I despise anything Moebius, and anything Time Travel!

Comment

Originally posted by SmartFox
                    What are you talking about. SPOILERS GIFT
                    Spoiler:
                    The only time they use the gate is when Bates return from a potential beta site.
                    I was thinking of when SPOILERS GIFT
                    Spoiler:
                    Shep, McKay, Teyla, and Ford find the super secret Wraith lab.
                    Wasn't that on another planet? If not, my bad.

Proud Rodney McKay Thunker | Proud Jayne Cobb Thunker | Keeper of the M.A.L.P.-on-a-Stick

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                      Although I will point out (as I'm sure it has been pointed out somewhere else in the forum) the wormhole was open for a lot more than 2 secs ( I think it was 12, according to my DVR ).
                      the gate was active and the event horizon was visible for 12 seconds, but that doesnt mean a stable wormhole was established for the whole twelve seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Tracker
                        I was thinking of when SPOILERS GIFT
                        Spoiler:
                        Shep, McKay, Teyla, and Ford find the super secret Wraith lab.
                        Wasn't that on another planet? If not, my bad.
                        But why would they need extra power. That place is in the same galaxy. They have been able to dial tons of other planets before this. I might be confused on what you are talking about.

Comment

I may be overestimating how much power it takes to create a stable wormhole-- regardless of the destination. I got the impression that it takes good amount, SG-1 was always running into the problem of getting stuck and needing power just to release the inner ring. Maybe the Atlantis gate is more efficient and doesn't require nearly as much power??

Comment

Atlantis didnt put ALL of their power into the wormhole, didnt they just drain ONE generator?
                            FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

Originally posted by Im_just_guessing
                              Atlantis didnt put ALL of their power into the wormhole, didnt they just drain ONE generator?
                              no they hooked up all their generators to the gate at the same time

Comment

Working...
                              X