This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-charging ZPM's

Ok dont know if this is going to be a possible future episode but if the ancients made the ZMP why cant the Atlantis crew find a way to recharge one, one possibility would be to somehow harness the power of the sun and when I say that I dont mean with solar cells I mean to directly tap the sun with some sort of beam or ancient tech, to draw off and charge the depleted zpms, just a idea...

Uh, McKay says something in the Rising. He says that the last ZPM is reaching maximum entropy and when it does, nothing will be able to stop it. I think it has to do with the fact that its power is derived from a subspace vacuum or something.

It's not able to be recharged because the power to do that would be greater then it generates and where the power is drawn from. I can't view the rising currently but if someone would care to check exaclty what McKay says the ZPM draws it power from, that would be cool.
    'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Mckay did indeed say that it came from vacum energy derived from self containment of sub-space time. for the entropy ? also someone else said that the Zpm could have as much power as a blackhole or something like that. We just dont have the tech to reenergize it....maybe the ancients could probably not, or they would had tons of them.

Comment

if thats the case then how exactly are zpms made, there should be some sort of info in the atlantis computer.. Maybe they could just make a new one.

Comment

You can't recharge a ZPM. Zero-Point Energy is everywhere and can't be recharged since it never stops being created. A ZPM reaching max. entropy would suggest that either the crystals making up the exterior is cracking, or that the ZPF isn't producing enough energy to sustain the dimensional connection.

Comment

It would make sense the Anceints could recharge the ZPM, since they built them. As for where to find them
            Spoiler:
            in "Before I Sleep" they recieved a list of where to find them on planets
            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
              You can't recharge a ZPM. Zero-Point Energy is everywhere and can't be recharged since it never stops being created. A ZPM reaching max. entropy would suggest that either the crystals making up the exterior is cracking, or that the ZPF isn't producing enough energy to sustain the dimensional connection.
              wow aAnubiSs, ur smart

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                Not that I'm questioning, but do you have a source? I'd like to read it.

Comment

There are a billion sites about ZPE, but I guess I could introduce to you a few:

http://www.padrak.com/ine/ZPESCIAM.html
                  http://www.calphysics.org/zpe.html

Ask if you want more.

Comment

Fascinating stuff. Once again you find that good SciFi has good science somewhere behind it. Got any more links?

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdreams
                      if thats the case then how exactly are zpms made, there should be some sort of info in the atlantis computer.. Maybe they could just make a new one.
                      why would the ancients put zpm's on other planets if they can make them or if they have tons of it. it's the ancient power source but maybe they can't just make them. it's maybe just a crystal that can only be made if there's somewhere a wormhole(not the stargate) because they need subspace energie.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkdreams
                        Ok dont know if this is going to be a possible future episode but if the ancients made the ZMP why cant the Atlantis crew find a way to recharge one, one possibility would be to somehow harness the power of the sun and when I say that I dont mean with solar cells I mean to directly tap the sun with some sort of beam or ancient tech, to draw off and charge the depleted zpms, just a idea...
                        If we could draw power from the sun, I doubt we would need the ZPMs

Comment

Um Wandering Tamer, I wouldn't put much faith in those references. aAnubiSs's links are from fringe (read: crank) science sites. They aren't considered mainstream, and it isn't hard science.

I think that Ancient ZPM are just large batteries. They work by raising the zero-point energy of particles in the device (through some sci-fi science). In real quantum mechanics, the zero-point energy is the minimum energy a particle can have. Since the particles can't reduce their energy through normal means, the device can store energy for a long time. Say the Ancients discovered some type of force field that can isolate the particles and prevent them from causing a gravity field (since Einstein was wrong in the SG universe as seen in A Matter of Time). Energy is extracted by removing particles from that statis field, where they can suddently release energy (since the ZM energy is now "normal") through spontaneous emission.

As for recharging a ZPM, I tend to think that's the original purpose of the Ancient device Anubis found in Redemption.

Comment

i agree with lord you's statement..."As for recharging a ZPM, I tend to think that's the original purpose of the Ancient device Anubis found in Redemption."

the ancients were about defence rather than offence, the drones are used for defence of an outpost or planet, the shields being so strong.

therefore this energy weapon, as it was used, is more likely to be used for another purpose. to reinforce this theory that the ancients were more intrested in defence we can study what we know about the other races in the great alliance. firstly the noxs, a race that cause no harm and have the healing power of the ancients. the furlings we know very little besides the fact they invited others to join them, they belived in seperating there race from the gate network.

sigpic

Comment

In Hot Zone McKay says it might be possbile to recharge the ZPM...

I’ve got some theories on looping the power on the Gate to charge a dummy ZPM. It probably won’t work but-but you should have someone look at it cause it might lead somewhere else.
                              Wether it will work or not is a different story.
                              Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X