This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Wormhole disengaging.

There seems to be some inconsistency with wormhole disengaging. On several eps the SGC shuts down the wormhole even though people have just gone through and are still coming through. This is a incoming wormhole too. But they cant seem to shut it down later like in eps such as Serpents Song. Is there some rules that govern Wormhole disengaging or is it the writers just make up when they can disengage and when they can't?

I personally can't recall any instance of that, except in 'The Enemy Within', and that was an outgoing wormhole. Got any specific examples?

a time to mourn

Comment

Yeah, I can't remember any incoming wormholes that have been disengaged.

Comment

The only one that I can think of the the SGC disengaged was in 'A Matter of Time', but they had to use a bomb to do it.
        If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SmartFox
          There seems to be some inconsistency with wormhole disengaging. On several eps the SGC shuts down the wormhole even though people have just gone through and are still coming through. This is a incoming wormhole too. But they cant seem to shut it down later like in eps such as Serpents Song. Is there some rules that govern Wormhole disengaging or is it the writers just make up when they can disengage and when they can't?
          Generally, under normal circumstances, a wormhole only stays open for as long as there is something going through it: radio waves, people, energy, etc.

Where some inconsistency occurs is when it disengages after the the last object passes throught the event horizon. Sometimes it closes just after the last person steps through, and sometimes they have to shut it down.
          If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Comment

well i'll give ya an example , season 1 THE TORMENT OF TANTALUS where they engauge a wormwhole for the first time in 1945
            the person goes through with a underwater suit and theres is a oxygen cord pumping air into the person while he is in the stargate, then it shuts off???
            can any1 explain that?

Comment

he could have been standing still after coming out of the other side.
              then he would not have been pulling the oxygen tube through, so the gate would shut down.
              Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
              Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

but that cant happen because according to 38 minutes(atlantis), matter can only be sent once the whole piece so he should of died in the wormwhole

Comment

could have passed the 38 min thingy

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Inconsistancy: in one ep a Jaffa's staff weapon gets chopped off when we pull the plug on an outgoing wormhole. Even if we physically went down to the gate and ripped out the power cord(s), the Gate would still store enough energy to complete the transmission (otherwise thered be dozens of planets with abandoned Tau'ri naquada reactors on them).
                    [email protected]
                    http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                    One nation under dog
                    There of which I stand alone
                    A face in the crowd
                    Unsung, against the mold
                    Without a doubt
                    Singled out
                    The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by MCK
                      well i'll give ya an example , season 1 THE TORMENT OF TANTALUS where they engauge a wormwhole for the first time in 1945
                      the person goes through with a underwater suit and theres is a oxygen cord pumping air into the person while he is in the stargate, then it shuts off???
                      can any1 explain that?
                      Didn't it shut of because it was cut from our end? (For some reason). The stargate is smart and can figure out that the person is a person and the cord is the cord.

The DHD would rematerialise the person because it's smart. Wait ... Wasn't the DHD damaged on that planet...

Comment

Yes It was, but the wormhole could have been disengaed after he was on the other side safely.

Comment

There are lots of inconsistencies I have noticed regarding this subject.

Very often the gate will close the wormhole immediately after eg SG1 has come through. Other occasions we hear it can be kept open for a maximum of 38 minutes with or without matter/energy passing through. On other occasions again we hear that sending a radio (or similar) signal through can keep the passage open for an unspecified period.

Confused?. I am!

Comment

In the Torment of Tantalus, the wormhole disengaged because they were still experimenting with it. Probably, it ran out of energy or there was a malfunction with it and so it got shut off.
                            The time with the Jaffa weapon was when SG-1 got the Asgard's help in an alternate reality. They can do things with wormholes we can't. Therefore, I think they must have shut it off or power failed from our side and so it shut off without completing the transfer.
                            Most of the instances where there has been an inaccuracy, has been when there is a problem of some sort with the gate or the dial device or power. Unless you're refering to how long the gate stays open after they step through. In that case, it could be some random X-rays or gamma radiation coming in after them so it stays open a split second longer. They have stated that radiation can keep it open.
                            'Nou ani anquietus' - 'We are the Ancients:’ teachers of roads and builders of the 'gate.

Comment

Originally posted by MCK
                              can any1 explain that?
                              in that case there wans't a DHD on either side. since the DHD is what inforcases the rules not have one on either end could make it able to do just about anything. my guess for why it closed was becuase power was cut for some resone. if there isn't a DHD i don't think it could know when to close itself. so mabe it would have satyed open for 38 min. if the power wasn't acidentily cut. but it may have been a good thing in a way for the ernist becuase if the gate had stayed open he might have tried walking back through and been killed.
                              -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
                              GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
                              M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
                              ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
                              geekcode

Comment

Working...
                              X