This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The extra Chevrons

I was just looking at all the different threads that dicuss the 9th cheveron and it hit me- what was the point of building the Gates with nine cheverons in the frirst place? they could have just as easly have left the gate with 7.

So- I guess I'm asking is the 9 cheveron model we all know and love the orginal gate model?

Surly when they first started building gates they didn't randomly decided at the design meeting to add two extra chevrons than was needed and hope that they would discover ways to use the extra chevrons. Go back and look at the orginal computers- they weren't designed with extra features that didn't have any use when first built. they were built for a purpose- and when new ideas/methods ect came out, the new models were designed appropiaty. Which leads me to my second question:

Where would the "outdated" 7 and 8 chevron model gates be floating around?

They would still be made a naquada, and they would still be effective for intra-galaxy travel. Not to menchon that SGC could test the gates to their hearts content to figure out what makes them tick and still have the functioning one.

Ok, go discuss amoughts yourselves.
    Last edited by Thor's Pal; 05 March 2005, 01:42 AM. Reason: text errors
    Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
    "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
    "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
    ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
    McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
    "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

fairly good idea actually. If this was true i don't know where they would put the out-dated gates they might chuck them somewhere like a black hole or storage on a secret Ancient planet that has a whole stock pile of gates, ancient weapons, ships etc which is protected by some nox invisibillity (hey a guy can dream can't he?)
    Oneil: You ended the sentence in a preposition, you ba$tard!

Comment

There is a third option that I didn't think of earlier- the Achient had the ablity to recycle the old gates- so they took an 7 chev model threw it into their gate machine and out the other end came the new model.

No, don't like it- I want lots of outdated gates to play with.
      Adam:"I reject your reality and subisute myown."

O'Neill:
      "IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!"

Carter:
      "It took us 15 years and 3 supercomputers to MacGyver a system for the gate on Earth."

CARTER: You made [this]?
      ORLIN: You wouldn't believe the things you could make from the common simple idems lying around your planet. Which reminds me...you're going to need a new microwave.

Weir: You destroyed 3/4 of a solar system!
      McKay: Actually 5/6, its not an extact science.

Slashdot:
      "Well railguns are neat and all, but I'm still not joining the Army until they invent the respawn point."

Comment

actually now that i think about it i doubt they would have just disposed of the other gates probably just melted them down, not to waste the naquadah and just remake them
        Oneil: You ended the sentence in a preposition, you ba$tard!

Comment

Im farily certain if they could master worm whole travel they mosyt likly new that they needed the extra chevron for different galaxy and the 9th for what ever reason it is, they would have just made it straighr awayy (soz for spellin)
          Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
          McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

I think they just made it upgradeable, and the 9 chevron thing was their for astethics on TPTB's side

Comment

Im guessing by the time they had tech and knowledge to make stargates they owuld have been to other galaxies and therfore they would have needed an 8th chevron.

Also if there is a reason there is a 9th cheveron wouldnt the databases and Atlantis hold the answer to there egxistance

Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Comment

It makes sense that the original gates would have had the eighth chevron for inter-galactic wormholes. Hopefull we will someday learn what the ninth chevron is for. Perhaps it can be used the same way as the quatum mirror is used, to travel between alternate realities. Perhaps it allows wormholes within a solar system. OR, it could be that the ninth chevron is used whenever multiple gates are dialed simultaneously, but we don't know it because the ninth chevron is hidden form view on all gates except our own. Maybe when [spoiler: highlight to read] Carter dials all the gates in the galaxy at once, the ninth chevron is used, and we just don't know it.

Comment

na i dont think its got anything to do with multiple gates opening as it seems the more chevrons locked the more energy needed, and they would have mentioned it when the gate was updated in avenger 2.0 and every other time they had to open multi gates

Comment

Originally posted by Steam
                    na i dont think its got anything to do with multiple gates opening as it seems the more chevrons locked the more energy needed, and they would have mentioned it when the gate was updated in avenger 2.0 and every other time they had to open multi gates
                    But thay where hacking DHD's

Comment

Originally posted by Joe
                      But thay where hacking DHD's
                      what? i just said the more chevrons used the more power is needed to open the worm whole

Comment

exactly what i think also, more chevrons, more power, maybe to even far galaxies then pegasus galaxy??? just wait and see time will tell!

Comment

Where is the ninth chevron?
                          I can't see it on any pics of gates I only see 8
                          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                            Where is the ninth chevron?
                            I can't see it on any pics of gates I only see 8
                            Heres a pic of a nine chevron gate:

Comment

The ninth cheveron may be a vay to travle to another quadrentof the universe
                              it is kinda like the country code here on earth.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X