Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye Jack O'Neill! (The "I will miss Jack" Vent Thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RDA: Come baaaaaaaaaaack!!
    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
    Daniel: Oh! You see?
    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

*walks into thread, takes one look at the first post and bursts into tears* Nooooo!! *falls to the floor* Why, god, why?!
      !!! HHGTTG movie out this May! Don't forget to bring your towel! !!!

[ | Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club | ]

Smor: My Anti-Drug

Ba'am: You can bet your ba'als on it.

(thanks to Justin for the pic and no, I'm not serious )

Comment

I too will feel the loss of our beloved leader.

RDA is the original reason for my watching Stargate and although I have
        come to love the other characters of the show, it will definitely leave
        a very empty space in my heart without his wonderful presense.

The lack of his witty sense of humour can definitely be felt in season
        8, predominately caused by his limited availability, and I worry how
        much the show will change without him being there. He brought a
        special element to each episode with every gesture, smile and ad-lib.

His laid back, fun loving portrayal of Jack seemed to bring out the best of
        the other team members, and you can definitely see the dynamic chemistry
        he has with each of the other actors.

There are not enough words for me to convey how greatful I am that
        RDA has given me eight wonderful years and how deeply he will be missed.

ForeverSG1

Comment

Thankyou for this thread, Feli.
          I can't actually imagine SG1 without him; just writing it makes me feel sad.
          I've tried to be open minded about changes & I feel a bit guilty going on about Jack, as the other characters are great too, but I do love the whole team dynamic with him as the lynchpin.
          I'll still be watching (unless things go seriously pants!), but I love Jack to bits & I think I'm in a bit of denial with all the "let's wait & see, it might be ok" stuff.
          I'm just about to start on S8 when the DVD drops through the letterbox, so maybe that will prepare me bit more for S9 - I've been looking forward to more Stargate as the Lost City was excellent, but I am a bit worried about General Jack & seeing less of him.
          I don't want him to go
          Oy-Vey!!!

Comment

I will miss him big time. When I first saw the promos for Stargate on Showtime 8-9 years ago, I remember being so excited and RDA playing Jack was the frosting on the cake. Jack was what made the show special to me. All of the cast members were and are great, but Jack was the glue.

I'm not sure how I will feel about season 9, but I will give it a try. I hope I like it, but I'm pretty sure "I miss Jack" will always be in my mind. I will also watch just to hear them mention of his name, what he's doing. How many actors create a character that lead you to watch a show after the character is gone in hopes of hearing about him?

*If anyone saw European Vacation, there is a scene where the daughter is in England missing her boyfriend, Jack. She cries out "I miss Jack". It always makes me think of Jack O'Neill.*
            sigpic
            ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
              promoting him to general was just a bad idea in the first place. he's only gone offworld once this season, and he no longer has the mentality he used to have. even though he'll be there for a few eps in s9, i'll miss him being there.
              I agree
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Feli, thanks for starting this thread and for laying out the ground rules for all of us.

I understand RDA’s reasons for leaving. His dedication to environmental causes and children are just part of the reasons I’ve admired the man for so many years.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Richard Dean Anderson is why I turned on Stargate in the first place. I’ve seen the movie and while it’s a decent flick, I’ve only watched it twice all the way through. Kurt Russell introduced us to the character of Jack O’Neill. RDA brought him to life.

The energy and humor so indicative of the character and Rick’s portrayal have been absent in season eight. There are exceptions-Zero Hour-but by and large there is no spark. Jack is not happy as a General and you can see the conflict in RDA’s performance. He wants to be all things to all people. Play a good part, help guide the show and be a dad to his little girl. I’m happy that he’s chosen the latter.

That doesn’t mean I won’t miss him.

The special interactions Jack shares with each of his team are part of what made Stargate unique. Without getting into the fandom politics I will say all of the team. Jonas worked for me because of Corin’s personal energy level and the dynamic of Jonas finding his legs and Jack blaming and later accepting him as part of the team and not a malicious pariah.

The Daniel and Jack friendship is complex and rarely attested to in so many words. It is an underlying theme that brought humor and drama to moments via a simple handshake, a shared grin, or a manly embrace.

Teal’c and Jack, warriors, brothers in arms possessed of a shared mentality. There were moments of conflict and moments of quiet strength. Two that come instantly to mind are; the scene in the Gateroom in Message in a Bottle and the moment on the scoutship in Lost City. These guys understood one another and they cared as openly as they could.

Jack and Sam… How to comment on this without setting off WWIII? Okay whether you saw friendship or love between them there was no doubt that Jack found great pride in Sam’s accomplishments. He tried to groom her for command and he counseled her in her mistakes. The First Commandment and Gemini come to mind. Opposite ends of the series but both illustrate my point. There was something special between these two.

Jack is the leader, the Patriarch of this admittedly dysfunctional group. RDA brings a passion and a presence to the screen. He has his own vibe and it cannot be mimicked or replaced.

I will miss Jack’s wit, charm and easy grace. I will miss seeing that secretive smile that has been largely absent in the last two years. I’ll miss seeing a very fine example of the human male strolling across my screen.

I’ll miss him, period.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                  I too will feel the loss of our beloved leader.

RDA is the original reason for my watching Stargate and although I have
                  come to love the other characters of the show, it will definitely leave
                  a very empty space in my heart without his wonderful presense.

The lack of his witty sense of humour can definitely be felt in season
                  8, predominately caused by his limited availability, and I worry how
                  much the show will change without him being there. He brought a
                  special element to each episode with every gesture, smile and ad-lib.

His laid back, fun loving portrayal of Jack seemed to bring out the best of
                  the other team members, and you can definitely see the dynamic chemistry
                  he has with each of the other actors.

There are not enough words for me to convey how greatful I am that
                  RDA has given me eight wonderful years and how deeply he will be missed.

ForeverSG1
                  Well said.

Comment

Ruralstar, Wow. Just...wow. I'd rep ya, but I just did. Beautiful words to describe a beautiful person - and not just in looks, either. Feli was right, you expressed everything that I couldn't. So I'm just going to say Very well said.
                    sigpic

Comment

((((((((((((Rural)))))))))) That is a great post and says everything I wanted to say, except you do it so much better than me! I too will miss Jack so much.
                      sigpic

Comment

RDA, you will will be missed! Thanks for all the great laughs over the years and those yet to come this season!

I hope we get to see some cool documentaries from you in the future, and I hope you crack some good jokes in those too! Hopefully as long as Stargate is around, you pop in on a few episodes each season. And hopefully you'll also stop by a convention or two to say whats up!

Comment

Of course they can go on for another 10 years without any original cast or production crew. But that would be totally something else than stargate. I can't even imagine what would SG-1 be without Jack's jokes and the chemistry between Teal'c, Daniel, Sam and Jack. Is just gone Teal'c and Jack are just so funny together on the screen.. How are they gonna replace that? Nohow I say.

I'll miss him for sure I don't even know if I care to watch it anymore Hopefully he'll be back for at least soe eps.. He has some unfinished buiness

Comment

You know, I can't help but feel a little cheated with RDA leaving. I just started watching the series this year, so although I've caught up on most of the earlier episodes from Monday nights on Sci-Fi, there's nothing like seeing an episode when it airs originally. At least, for me. It just gives me a little thrill to know I'm seeing it for the first time along with millions of other people.
                            So, I was disappointed that the first season I tuned in for wasn't their best as S8's been a bit lacking and when I found that next season, RDA's gonna be gone... that kinda hurt.
                            I completely respect the man for wanting to spend time with his daughter. That's honorable and touches me in that deep part of my heart that gets sentimental from time-to-time.
                            But it still hurts.
                            *sniffles* RDA... come back!!
                            !!! HHGTTG movie out this May! Don't forget to bring your towel! !!!

[ | Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club | ]

Smor: My Anti-Drug

Ba'am: You can bet your ba'als on it.

(thanks to Justin for the pic and no, I'm not serious )

Comment

I'm afraid miss him would not even begin to cover it.

With that being said; I would just like to say thank you Richard for extending your two-year commitment to eight years. You have run us through the wringer with your performances, taking us from out-loud laughter to crying in the pillow and everything in between. It has been oh sooooooooo much fun and I am so grateful for every second of the experience. Again, thank you.
                              Last edited by Kliggins; 24 February 2005, 03:29 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jynjyr
                                Hey Feli! You need to have a 'whining' smiley.
                                Yes. Although I don't think Darren would approve of adding a smiley just for the purpose of this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X