Is Doctor Who a time loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Doctor Who a time loop?

Has anyone else thought about how much the new Doctor Who series has come to mirror its classic counterpart? Yes, they're technically the same show, a continuation of the same story, but is it just me or is that story being told all over again? If we ignore the 60s and the Hinchcliffe-Williams years, they're the same.

In 1970/2005, Doctor Who's future was uncertain, but the show returned with a more Earthbased format. A new, heroic and less quirky Doctor played by Jon Pertwee/Christopher Eccleston(fighting the Autons in his first story) came in to re-establish the series for what would be the most popular Doctor ever, played by Tom Baker/David Tennant. During his tenure, the show would reach the peak of its fame.
    This is when most of the Gallifreyan lore was (re)established and the character of the Master(Roger Delgado/John Simm) would have his most character-defining stories. It's fortunate then, that the younger Peter Davison/Matt Smith (who unusually travelled with multiple companions) was so quickly accepted by the community and managed to make the show his own.
    He would grow to be so popular in fact, that a radical, grumpier reinvention of the character was devised for Colin Baker/Peter Capaldi. This was a decidedly mixed bag, so the character was significantly lightened up for his next season. We also saw the Master return, now played by Anthony Ainley/Michelle Gomez who everybody liked, even though the role was perceived to be more comedic than anything this time around.

Or am I just overthinking this?
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Yep, sorry. I don't see it.

All the Doctors from the new series are still pretty different. Personally I'd compare Capaldi to more akin to a mix between Pertwee and Tom Baker, and Matt Smith was often compared to Troughton, but with a clearly McCoy level of control when he gets a plan together.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
      Has anyone else thought about how much the new Doctor Who series has come to mirror its classic counterpart? Yes, they're technically the same show, a continuation of the same story, but is it just me or is that story being told all over again? If we ignore the 60s and the Hinchcliffe-Williams years, they're the same.
      . . .

Or am I just overthinking this?
      Interesting theory. I never thought of the program that deeply in that particular sense. The Doctor's timeline is supposed to be a straight line, while his life proceeds forward, he is able to intertwine with everyone else's who is not a Time Lord. The series may at some future point possibly turn into a time loop, but I don't believe the series as a current whole is, within itself, a time loop. Mirror imagery between the original program and revived series -- maybe, but not really a time loop.

PS -- Merry *Whomas* too. . . !

Comment

Some interesting comparisons

Personally, I love humans who see patterns in things that aren't there.
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

But unfortunately, during that lighter season, ratings fell... and the BBC placed the show on temporary hiatus to rework itself.
          "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
          X