so what chance now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so what chance now?

Mods - please redirect to this any existing thread, but i had a look and couldn't see anything.

So now that Star Trek is coming back to the small screen, what chance Stargate?

I think that if it did come back now it would have to be a new show.

Not a reboot.

A continuation.

In the same way that SGU was a continuation/extension of the franchise.

The difference being that whatever this new series would be, season 1 would have to actually grab an audience, (SGU left this too late).

Any thoughts?
    Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
    Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Devlin and Emmerich have been given the go ahead to reboot the original Stargate so MGM's gonna wait until that is released to do anything remotely Stargate-y on TV or in cinema.

You've got SGA and SGU comics to look forward to.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So, at the start of the series Earth is the most powerful planet in the galaxy, they have a fleet of near unbeatable ships, offworld bases where they experiment with all the advances gained from the databases of two of the most advanced races in the galaxy, and Atlantis is on Earth with it's own updated Ancient database. Plus all the technology gathered from the Goa'uld, Ori, Wraith and other races SG teams have encountered..

Where exactly do they go with this new show? Any new enemy would need to have god-like abilities to even come close to having a chance against Earth, except we've already seen that with the Ori, and it took two seasons and a movie to completely wipe them out.

Unless Earth loses everything they've gained over the previous three shows in the first episode there isn't much room for further development. And if they did lose everything they had gained, isn't that basically the same as a reboot? Except, who could be a credible enough threat to Earth to destroy everything they have gained?

Comment

I think you raise some good points. Its the argument that leads back to the ori being the only place left for sgu to go in the last couple of seasons.

I do think that any continuation would have to answer what sgu was about.

Say set the series 5-10 years after sgu never happened 3rd, 4th, and 5th, seasons.

Dont directly answer the sgu question, but set the series in a place where it has been answered and changes have come into place. Over season 1 whilst developing a new series, the audience can come to learn some of those answers.
        Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
          Unless Earth loses everything they've gained over the previous three shows in the first episode there isn't much room for further development. And if they did lose everything they had gained, isn't that basically the same as a reboot? Except, who could be a credible enough threat to Earth to destroy everything they have gained?
          How's about its US.. By someone screwing with the wrong thing, they cause a big explosion that costs us quite a bit of that new tech...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            How's about its US.. By someone screwing with the wrong thing, they cause a big explosion that costs us quite a bit of that new tech...
            In the SGC, Atlantis, all the ships, offworld bases and Area 51?

Seems unlikely..

Earth is too powerful, and the tech is too spread out for one event to do any real damage.

With all that stolen technology and their dominance over the galaxy, it could only be an elite team of warriors from a planet new to exploring the galaxy who would have any chance..

Maybe one of them could be an Earth soldier who turned against his SGC Overlords
            Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 10 November 2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

I honestly do not know what to think about bringing SG back on screen, sure it would be nice but only if there would also be old ccast members back in it, at least in my opnion.
              And then you need to have a lot new ideas for new enemies, allies or new galaxies to travel to if it should be a whole new show.
              It could be great but also could end up to be a disappointment, if its not well thought through

As for Star Trek, well, I have to see the nwe one to know what to think about it, I am honestly sceptical about it though

Comment

In the SGC, Atlantis, all the ships, offworld bases and Area 51?

Seems unlikely..
                Agree.

The only way a continuation would work is to either pull an SGU (Or any of ~100 fanfics) and have it set out in the universe away from earth.

The alternative -and i barely dare write these words- is to use time travel and undo much of what was done.

Comment

So, at the start of the series Earth is the most powerful planet in the galaxy, they have a fleet of near unbeatable ships, offworld bases where they experiment with all the advances gained from the databases of two of the most advanced races in the galaxy, and Atlantis is on Earth with it's own updated Ancient database. Plus all the technology gathered from the Goa'uld, Ori, Wraith and other races SG teams have encountered..

Where exactly do they go with this new show? Any new enemy would need to have god-like abilities to even come close to having a chance against Earth, except we've already seen that with the Ori, and it took two seasons and a movie to completely wipe them out.

I totally agree. This is why I liked SGU, it successfully presented a more down to earth story line by isolating the characters from all that tech.

IMHO Stargate lost its essence by the insistent move towards 'The Fifth Race'. Stargate was always at its best when it was contemporary soldiers/airmen fighting off advanced aliens. The 303 was just about acceptable as it was very basic. Beyond that, it all got too advanced.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    I totally agree. This is why I liked SGU, it successfully presented a more down to earth story line by isolating the characters from all that tech.
                    Can we settle on "different"?
                    IMHO Stargate lost its essence by the insistent move towards 'The Fifth Race'. Stargate was always at its best when it was contemporary soldiers/airmen fighting off advanced aliens. The 303 was just about acceptable as it was very basic. Beyond that, it all got too advanced.
                    Do you mean "relatable"?
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

In my own opinion, Stargate is dead. Better to just leave it that way. Unless they were to bring SGU back, which we know they wouldn't then everything else would just feel stale.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        In my own opinion, Stargate is dead. Better to just leave it that way. Unless they were to bring SGU back, which we know they wouldn't then everything else would just feel stale.
                        Well that's a depressing point of view!

Maybe it depends on how well the new film does.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          I kind of do agree with that, better leave somehing good as it was and ended as trying to make it go on and make it bad. I also do not think any remakes of films or TV shows are really necessary...if it's a spin off that is fine to me but remakes of what was out already once is not my thing, at lest not of movies or shows

Comment

Originally posted by Az'ryel View Post
                            I kind of do agree with that, better leave somehing good as it was and ended as trying to make it go on and make it bad. I also do not think any remakes of films or TV shows are really necessary...if it's a spin off that is fine to me but remakes of what was out already once is not my thing, at lest not of movies or shows
                            Agreed. There is the danger of failure. I don't think that our expectations (we all have them and we all have different ones) can be fulfilled - the old Stargate cannot be copied and everything spinning off wouldn't satisfy our cravings.
                            Those who own DVDs can rewatch the old, excellent stuff.
                            CARPE DIEM
                            ANJA

Comment

Yes indeed, DVDs are a good solution. I have all SGA as DVD box collection and can bring it back on my TV that way whenever I wish to

Comment

Working...
                              X