Narrowmindedness of Atlantis expedition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Narrowmindedness of Atlantis expedition

Is it just me or the Atlantis expedition appear pretty narrow minded to others as well?? For example they donot show any gratitute towards Todd or Michael despite their huge contributions towards the safety of Atlantis and Earth just because they're Wraith.John Sheppard continues to berate Todd and talk rudely to him despite the fact that Todd saved their lives when the hive ship was crashing or with only Todd's key contribution of providing them with the ZPMs were they able to save Earth from culling by the Super hive.Similarly they forced Michael back on the retrovirus and didnot hesitate to kill him along with the other human form Wraith when they were on the planet despite Michael effectively saving Earth from a culling again.In my opinion, the Wraith who just feed on humans( who donot take part in hunting or making Runners) are not necessarily bad because they do so to survive. If they had a choice of not feeding on humans but still chose to do so, then they would be bad.In my opinion, the Atlantis expedition needs to be more open in their thoughts especially regarding the Wraith.

Although i agree with your general statement, i disagree with the individual points.

despite the fact that Todd saved their lives when the hive ship was crashing
    Because todd was the reason it was crashing in the first place

Todd's key contribution of providing them with the ZPMs were they able to save Earth from culling by the Super hive.
    A superhive he built

If they had a choice of not feeding on humans but still chose to do so, then they would be bad.
    Todd himself had huge problems with the whole retrovirus concept himself. The wraith have been at this for 10 000 years. feeding is their identity.

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover23 View Post
      Is it just me or the Atlantis expedition appear pretty narrow minded to others as well?? For example they donot show any gratitute towards Todd or Michael despite their huge contributions towards the safety of Atlantis and Earth just because they're Wraith.John Sheppard continues to berate Todd and talk rudely to him despite the fact that Todd saved their lives when the hive ship was crashing or with only Todd's key contribution of providing them with the ZPMs were they able to save Earth from culling by the Super hive.Similarly they forced Michael back on the retrovirus and didnot hesitate to kill him along with the other human form Wraith when they were on the planet despite Michael effectively saving Earth from a culling again.In my opinion, the Wraith who just feed on humans( who donot take part in hunting or making Runners) are not necessarily bad because they do so to survive. If they had a choice of not feeding on humans but still chose to do so, then they would be bad.In my opinion, the Atlantis expedition needs to be more open in their thoughts especially regarding the Wraith.
      because the title is vague I am going to add a comment about how they treated the Asurans too. I will go into more depth and actually respond to points made when I get home from work.

Comment

When i talk about Narrowmindedness it's more about a number of problems that i had, where rushing in headfirst turned out to be not only disastrous but also unneccesary.

For instance, the Genii turned on us because we revealed we were behind the whole waking up. But why? In Poisoning the Well and Underground, Sheppard acts completely solo without any diplomatic aspect to it whatsoever. He freely gives the Poisoning people whatever they need without informing people and reveals what should be classified information to the Genii.

The Genii were ruthless and way too obsessed with defeating the Wraith, but so much of what they planned was actually quite useful. Nuking the wraith was not such a bad idea.

Other times they were narrowminded. In Trinity the whole project is rushed despite not needing to be rushed. The wealth of technology they might have found on that planet alone could've been what they needed. And if not technology, they could've found spare parts. Why Earth didn't send a 304 jam-packed with scientists and engineers for such a find is beyond me.

They sent two half-assed warships after the Wraith when they did not have to. Since they clearly could overtake them, why not take more time to repair and send a fully-operational battleship to earth?

Similarly, why take such a risk in First Strike with what was only a half-assed nuclear strike? They should've been aware that retaliation would come. Use the Mark IX nukes to level the critical sites and send some more to level the entire planet. Make sure that the Asurans are out of business for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          When i talk about Narrowmindedness it's more about a number of problems that i had, where rushing in headfirst turned out to be not only disastrous but also unneccesary.

For instance, the Genii turned on us because we revealed we were behind the whole waking up. But why? In Poisoning the Well and Underground, Sheppard acts completely solo without any diplomatic aspect to it whatsoever. He freely gives the Poisoning people whatever they need without informing people and reveals what should be classified information to the Genii.

The Genii were ruthless and way too obsessed with defeating the Wraith, but so much of what they planned was actually quite useful. Nuking the wraith was not such a bad idea.

Other times they were narrowminded. In Trinity the whole project is rushed despite not needing to be rushed. The wealth of technology they might have found on that planet alone could've been what they needed. And if not technology, they could've found spare parts. Why Earth didn't send a 304 jam-packed with scientists and engineers for such a find is beyond me.

They sent two half-assed warships after the Wraith when they did not have to. Since they clearly could overtake them, why not take more time to repair and send a fully-operational battleship to earth?

Similarly, why take such a risk in First Strike with what was only a half-assed nuclear strike? They should've been aware that retaliation would come. Use the Mark IX nukes to level the critical sites and send some more to level the entire planet. Make sure that the Asurans are out of business for a while.
          In see what you mean. but, case in point they used a sledgehammer when they could have used scalpel with the Asurans. it wasn't necessary to take out most of a solar system.

I do agree, everyone is very reactionary at times. I feel it may be more for entertainment sake as they don't want to make it too complicated for some reason. OR lazy writing. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Fifth View Post
            I do agree, everyone is very reactionary at times. I feel it may be more for entertainment sake as they don't want to make it too complicated for some reason. OR lazy writing. >.>
            Nah, it's mostly that it seems logical at first, but falls apart once you think about it. Stargate was like that quite a few times, it just got worse in SGA because of Ancient Technology.

The Goa'uld were purposefully weird with how their technology worked (e.g. they have space ships but do not use Terminator-style god machines). The Ori were just jumping the shark. Prior to Atlantis, the ancient technology was scarce. But in SGA, there's no reason why we don't have Sarcophagus technology (except ancient-made and not horrible) or other god technology that solves 90% of all plots.

That basis alone is shaky. But more things were bad, like how Weir is supposed to be a diplomat and how the SGA teams make regular first contact yet have no diplomatic skill whatsoever. At least Jackson could handle introduction stuff. Sheppard just plainly gives what should be highly classified information to whoever asks, like medical knowledge (Poisoning the Well) or nuclear science (Underground). I would expect that in a world with regular alien contact, every SG team leader would have at least introduction-level skills of not telling people stuff they shouldn't know for decades to come.

There were plenty of other cases where they were narrow-minded, jumping the gun or failing to consider the bigger picture. First Strike completely fails to consider that the Asurans would strike back. Considering Earth's earlier dealings, there's literally no reason why they should do anything half-assed when it comes to Replicators. in First Strike, Asuras should've been completely and utterly carpet-nuked to ensure that whatever response comes, they have as much time as possible to get the replicator weapon up and running. What they did was half-assed and the result was that the Asurans struck back much faster than anticipated, as Replicators always do.

I don't even understand why the Attero device was destroyed. its the most god-like weapon ever found. They should've ripped out the antenna and studied it. Then, build a smaller device that only works in about a lightyear or so radius. Simply ensure there's either no Gate nearby or that it is shut down (Wasn't that the point of Avenger?) and you can force any battle to your liking.

Well, there's plenty of stuff like that. Even for the purpose of budget and/or drama, many decisions made little sense and alternatives would've been better, even considering it's a TV show with limited budget.

Comment

Working...
            X