X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new article about reboot

http://www.planet-scifi.com/en/news-...is-still-a-go#

here is the quote that pisses me off

"According to Devlin and Emmerich, the reboot will wipe out all the universe set by the TV series,"

this is the reason many fans who they can not bank on will not see it Stargate is not even in the same league as Star Wars or Star Trek I have 0% interest in seeing it part of me is saying Frak you!!! You Frelling pieces of Dren
    Last edited by poundpuppy29; 09 October 2015, 03:05 PM.
    sigpic
    My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

I've got zero interest in this movie.

The original movie was okay, but it only stood out because it was pretty and Egyptian-looking. The story was uninspired, and having created such an amazing plot device as the stargate it was laughable to the point of absurdity that the gate would only go to one solitary planet on the other side of the universe.

Children of the Gods is far from my favourite SG-1 episode, but it rectified that fundamental flaw right away and the shows immediately utlised the gate in a far better manner.

Devlin and Emmerich were stupid enough to lose the franchise in the first place, and MGM were even stupider to give it back to them.

If this were a computer game franchise it would be like going from the Xbox One or the PS4 back to the NES or the Master System and being told it's for the best.
    sigpic
    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Nothing new in the article.

I wish Devlin and Emmerich would just accept the fact someone took their idea and transform it into something far bigger than they could do themselves.
      Last edited by knowles2; 18 October 2015, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        Nothing really anything new in the article.

I wish Devlin and Emmerich would just accept the fact someone took their idea and transform it into something far bigger than they could do themselves.
        well said
        sigpic
        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
          Nothing really anything new in the article.

Agreed/ They almost sound like one friend throwing a temper tantrum cause the other friend got something better.. and now want to take their toys and go home..

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
            "According to Devlin and Emmerich, the reboot will wipe out all the universe set by the TV series,"
            This is something i don't understand. Why does it piss you off? Stargate literally allows anything. The Multiverse is real in Stargate, so any incarnation can happily live alongside what we loved so much.

According to the rules of Time Travel, we're not even in the same universe as when Stargate started.

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
              http://www.planet-scifi.com/en/news-...is-still-a-go#

here is the quote that pisses me off

this is the reason many fans who they can not bank on will not see it Stargate is not even in the same league as Star Wars or Star Trek I have 0% interest in seeing it part of me is saying Frak you!!! You Frelling pieces of Dren
              Do we have to burn all our DVDs now?

If everyone boycotts the movie.. and it fails, do you really think they'll bring the TV series back? If the movie fails then that's it. Stargate is dead. Forever.. Or at least until the next round of reboots, so 20-25 years..

Or you could call it an alternate reality. Stargate has an infinite number of those. Through time travel accidents with the Stargate and the various mirrors/blackholes, there's no reason the two can't exist side by side. Look at Star Trek with it's Mirror Universe and the new alternate reality movies. Or the Terminator movies/TV series. Each one of those erases the one that came before, but they all seem to be able to exist together. So why can't Stargate do the same?

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                Devlin and Emmerich were stupid enough to lose the franchise in the first place, and MGM were even stupider to give it back to them.
                Devlin and Emmerich are from a time where young directors didn't get a 200 million blockbuster just cause they made one movie. If Devlin and Emmerich hadn't done that, Stargate would never have gotten made.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                  Do we have to burn all our DVDs now?

If everyone boycotts the movie.. and it fails, do you really think they'll bring the TV series back? If the movie fails then that's it. Stargate is dead. Forever.. Or at least until the next round of reboots, so 20-25 years..

Or you could call it an alternate reality. Stargate has an infinite number of those. Through time travel accidents with the Stargate and the various mirrors/blackholes, there's no reason the two can't exist side by side. Look at Star Trek with it's Mirror Universe and the new alternate reality movies. Or the Terminator movies/TV series. Each one of those erases the one that came before, but they all seem to be able to exist together. So why can't Stargate do the same?
                  Agree on the alternate universe thing - the movie could very well be in one of those. What worries me is that any new show would then most likely also be in that universe - without the characters we love from SG-1, without the Tok'ra, without the Jaffa, without the Goa'uld, without the Asgard... etc.

Oh, and everyone I know hated the reboot of Star Trek, which wiped out all the previous shows and movies. And no, I'm not that old. I'm 28.
                  sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

The Jaffa, the Goa'uld, the Tok'ra and SG-1 haven't been in a show since 2007. They're not coming back. Would it really make a difference now if there was a new show set in an alternate universe that for whatever reason was running 20 years behind the timeline(s) we've already seen?

Star Trek didn't wipe out the original timeline. That still exists. The new movies created an alternate timeline when Spock and Nero travelled back in time. How else could they still exist in the new movies? They would have erased themselves along with the original timeline if it no longer existed.

Comment

I'm going to give the new trilogy a chance. Simply because boycotting a series killed the TV show and now we won't get more SG-1, SGA, SGU movies or more seasons for the TV show.
                      Sure, I missed a definite ending for SGA. I missed another season of SG-1, because it'd have been better than what we got and that's two "Hey - guess what, show's cnacelled so we give you two quick wrap-up DVD movies". But what's done it's done, the show's gone and it's never coming back - at least not with the cast and characters that we all know and love. The producers/writers messed up a lot. Some of the fans messed up a bit too. But that kind of stuff happens. Life goes on.

If Dean and Ronald want to give us their own story, it's their right to do so. The original movie was their idea and their work. If they don't want the TV show-established universe in their story, that's probably the best decision to take - it opens the door for a lot of possibilities - for example, what if the trilogy is successful and does not include the TV show-continuity? New mythology might be brought to us. Or a more modern version of the original - as in: a new take on it. If the new trilogy sicks to the TV-show's continuity, that can only mess things up even more than they already are. Plus it can sink not only the trilogy, but Stargate as a whole forever.

The new Robocop movie was so awful that I regret watching it and I know I'm never going to get those 2 hours back. But it didn't stick to the old stuff and it tried to do its own thing. AND THAT'S GOOD.
                      If the new Stargate trilogy is done right and does its own thing, I don's see why that could be bad for it.

Comment

Boycotting SGU didn't kill the franchise...Fan boycotts don't work unless it's a juggernaut franchise like Star Wars.

I'm a fan of Stargate, but most people i know in day to day life who watch Stargate aren't fans - they just tune in when it's on.

I only know a couple of people who watched SGU to the end because they found it plodding and a bit boring, like I did. I loved SGA but I didn't boycott SGU. I gave it a shot and didn't like it..same as I gave Enterprise a shot and didn't like it.

SGU simply didn't appeal to the audience in place at that time...hardcore fans didn't come into any decision by Syfy or MGM.
                        sigpic
                        Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

I certainly understand fan hesitation towards new beginnings of a popular franchise however I think it's not without it's success and sometimes totally up to interpretation.

For example some people hate the 2009/2013 Trek films whereas I love them and own the Blu-ray set. I don't consider them "reboots" like most people often refer to them. They are simply new stories based on a popular set of characters in an established universe. Enjoying these 2 recent movies does not decrease my past enjoyment of previous films or TV series. This is no different than comic books, Batman was created in 1939 yet in the past 10 years we've seen an immensely popular trilogy of films based on/derived from several series of stories written in the 80's & 90's by different writers/editors, etc. All of which already had half a century of creative canon behind it, yet somehow they went back to the well and came out with something amazing.

I'm also in the camp of thinking SGU is dead because of fan boycott. You're looking at an established universe on the genre specific SciFi channel. The main show SG-1 was already down to a 1.1 to 1.7 ratings by season 10. The remaining show SGA was down to 1.1 to 1.5 rating by the end of season 5. Who's going to start watching this new show that, at least at a glance, is based on 15 years of television? Probably the hardcore fans unless it picks up some serious reviews and marketing. Season 1 of Universe ranged from a 1.1 to 2.4 rating, that's not much of an up tick from the remaining fans of the previous two shows whatsoever. By the time season 2 hit the ratings were down to 0.8 to 1.1, now peaking at the low numbers from the last seasons of SG-1 and SGA.

That said I don't think existing harcore fan boycotting of the new movies will amount to much because it's a drop in the bucket compared to casual fans of the series who maybe didn't buy the DVDs but watched all or most of the show during the first run will still go see it. They aren't going to be mad about it returning to the original creative team, they'll just say "Oh cool a new Stargate movie, I used to like that show".

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            This is something i don't understand. Why does it piss you off? Stargate literally allows anything. The Multiverse is real in Stargate, so any incarnation can happily live alongside what we loved so much.

According to the rules of Time Travel, we're not even in the same universe as when Stargate started.
                            true thanks for that it is a Silver Lining but it is the way they are doing it bothers me they are so mean about it

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                            Boycotting SGU didn't kill the franchise...Fan boycotts don't work unless it's a juggernaut franchise like Star Wars.

I'm a fan of Stargate, but most people i know in day to day life who watch Stargate aren't fans - they just tune in when it's on.

I only know a couple of people who watched SGU to the end because they found it plodding and a bit boring, like I did. I loved SGA but I didn't boycott SGU. I gave it a shot and didn't like it..same as I gave Enterprise a shot and didn't like it.

SGU simply didn't appeal to the audience in place at that time...hardcore fans didn't come into any decision by Syfy or MGM.
                            I liked SGU despite it's flaws and as you can tell by my sig I like all types of Sci-Fi and Fantasy in many types of ways of story telling but I don't think any fan boycott did anything really either we fans are only casualties

I think DD and RE are setting themselves up for a major fall myself let's just hope it is not the death knell for Stargate as far as MGM is concerned
                            Last edited by poundpuppy29; 12 October 2015, 01:17 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm still looking forward to what they can do with it. And to be honest I think it will get quite a hefty audience. If it's likely to be a summer action adventure film people will definitely give it a go.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X