USAF actualy crews designated "SG1 through SG6"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USAF actualy crews designated "SG1 through SG6"

I'm a latecomer to the SG world but I thought I would share a bit of USAF history. In 1967, the Special Operations MC-130Es that deployed to CCK, Taiwan and then to Nha Trang, South Vietnam were nick named "Stray Goose". The first 6 crews were abbreviated to SG1 through SG6. After SG6 they changed to "S1, S2, etc." and dropped the "G" (not sure why). I got in the unit back in 1979 and was recently going through some pictures and thought I should share on this forum. It may be common knowledge but I have never seen it mentioned in my few years of "lurking" here. In any event, if anyone is interested in the history, I could share a bit more and maybe post some pictures of the crew plaques/patch. Cheers!

I didn't know this, so that's pretty cool. And I love to hear more...

Welcome to GW!
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thanks for the nice welcome. I will post some pictures once I am off "probie" status.

Comment

Will patiently wait for them. I'm sure you'll be recognized as "human" soon enough.

Comment

Great. In the meantime you can watch this 2 minute clip from the end of the movie "Air Force One" to see a more recent view of the aircraft than the Vietnam time frame. Not quite SG-1 but pretty cool none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJOuQ9PJ_o

Comment

Originally posted by Shark24 View Post
            Great. In the meantime you can watch this 2 minute clip from the end of the movie "Air Force One" to see a more recent view of the aircraft than the Vietnam time frame. Not quite SG-1 but pretty cool none the less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJOuQ9PJ_o
            You only have to make 10 or 15 posts to get off probie status.

Comment

Would be interesting to see what the actual SG-1 crew looked like!

Comment

Originally posted by Shark24 View Post
                I'm a latecomer to the SG world but I thought I would share a bit of USAF history. In 1967, the Special Operations MC-130Es that deployed to CCK, Taiwan and then to Nha Trang, South Vietnam were nick named "Stray Goose". The first 6 crews were abbreviated to SG1 through SG6. After SG6 they changed to "S1, S2, etc." and dropped the "G" (not sure why). I got in the unit back in 1979 and was recently going through some pictures and thought I should share on this forum. It may be common knowledge but I have never seen it mentioned in my few years of "lurking" here. In any event, if anyone is interested in the history, I could share a bit more and maybe post some pictures of the crew plaques/patch. Cheers!
                , welcome

HALLOWED ARE THE OREO

Comment

Appreciate the welcome. I did not start watching Star Gate until the "Oreo" arc. I have gone back and caught up though.

Comment

Well I guess I am half way there. I also have a short video I'd like to post. Is there anyway for me to contact a moderator for help or do I just wait my turn? Thanks!

Comment

You can contact Bagpuss - she'll help you.

Just go and look for her in the Ask the Moderators-thread in general.

Comment

Done. Let's see how this "probie" does. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Just an FYI. I have been over in Abu Dhabi for a temporary work assignment since the end of September. I hope to be home soon and then will post some pix. "No rest for the weary" Cheers

Comment

Abu Dhabi -- I bet it's a lot warmer there then it is here (11° Celsius and lots of clouds).

Comment

Working...
                              X